Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to return to BF

morgan78 Guest

Default Is it possible to return to BF

Was wondering what would be involved in taking DD off the FF and getting back into BF.
    I have been FF for nearly 2 weeks now as she was not putting on enough weight - had dropped down to the 5th percentile, in weeks 8 & 9 had only gained 100g and over the 9 weeks had only increase 800g from birth weight - she has put on around 1.2kd in the 2 weeks of FF.
    I will have little support from DP as he prefers FF - feels like there is more control and she has been more settled & happier since swapping. I have a 2yr old at home with me all day, i dont drive and have no other family around for support.
    Is it going to be to big a task?
    Your advice is appreciated

It can be possible to BF again sometimes. Have you tried putting your bub back on? Do you still have milk? Does she still latch? If bub will go back on, the best way to get a supply back up will be to put bub back on the breast for every feed, at least 3-4 hourly. If its not enough to fill her, breast feed first and top with formula. Eventually you could possibly not need formula at all. If you do try, it may a hard few weeks, but be beneficial in the long run!! I wish you so much luck honey!!!

Sorry, I almost forgot!! The ABA most probably has members in your area. Most will come to your home to help you re-establish milk and latching on if you need some extra help. Your local hospital may also have a lactation midwife that could also help.

morgan78 Guest

Purplemamma - when you say have i still got milk - i haven't been expressing or anything for the last 2 weeks but if i try to hand express now there is small drips coming out - is this what you mean???

Great advice there - please seek out the support of your local ABA people.
    It sure is possible - and it could be a challenge.
    I would also think that if you are going to be watching 'the charts', you could fall into this trap again - I would rip the charts out of the baby book and tap into your instinct about how your baby is growing You have what it takes to nourish your child without needing to feed formula, just to keep up with charts - also remember that those damn averages only work because there are babies who fall into areas either side of those figures. What I mean is, there is no such thing as an average if ALL babies were to be 'average'! And this, in no way, means that the non-average babies are unhealthy...it's just that those babies will never be 'average' because of genetics or whatever, so it's ok for babies not to conform to what our health nurses would like to see
    Oh, and by the way, you can ALWAYS come here to BB when you're having a tough time. Do both you and your baby a favour and give BFing a shot again

morgan78 Guest

Thanks for that - just rung local LC and shes coming round Monday
    DD just woke up so i offered BF that was 10 mins ago she went on fine & doesn't want to let go - guess she knows whats good for her

Yep!! Since you can still easily produce milk, getting a good supply back up shouldn't take too long. You just may not have enough for a little while till supply gets back up. Just keep attaching bub, and the milk will soon meet all her needs!!! you'll know when all is good when you get strong let downs if you normally feel them, or you can still squeeze out milk after she's pulled off and is full. If you do return to BF, thats all she needs. Ditto Mayaness, if bub is fully breastfed, happy, weeing and generally content, get rid of the chart!!!

Morgan.. thats great news she attached

I agree get rid of the charts. I have been worrying myself for no good reason. My CHN nurse wanted me to reweigh Olivia in a month as she hadn't gained what she wanted.. But I have reweighed her myself and according to the "charts" she is at the 50% line anyways..

Anyway Good Luck Let us know how you go

Yep, you can absolutely restart breastfeeding, and it would be a wonderful decision with lots of benefits for your DD. It is a technique called "relactation".

The Australian Breastfeeding Association produces a booklet on techniques to re-establish breastfeeding, which can be found through your local ABA Counsellor, or online at Relactation and Adoptive Breastfeeding .

You should be able to re-establish breastfeeding right up until your baby is six months of age.

And if your DP is not supportive, perhaps explain to him some of the tangible benefits of BF - like being able to get up and go out on the spur of the moment, not having to take sterilised bottles, find places to go out that will warm a bottle, etc. etc. ...

Good luck!

I agree about the charts, they cause more trouble then there worth. Hopefully with some good advice and some perseverance you will reestablish your breastfeeding partnership in no time. best wishes

Weleda do a Breastfeeding tea which helps to bring in milk. Check out a local health food store... if they don't stock it they can order it. Nettle tea is another good one, or False Unicorn.

Alternatively, you could try Fenugreek capsules if teas aren't to your liking

Thats great news that you want to start breastfeeding again. I went through the same thing with my first son and we reestablished breastfeeding when he was about 6 months old.

Its amazing what our bodies can do. Some adoptive mothers can even begin lactating by having their adoptive baby latching on constantly through the day...Ive read a few amazing stories about that.

Good luck with it all

Good on you Morgan for giving it a try. And what great news that she latched on well first time. You can do this - you are already doing a great job. GL with it.

morgan78 Guest

Thank you all for your support & advice. I will keep updating on how we go and I am sure that within a few weeks the bottles will be out the door.

Hi Morgan, I will be following this thread with great interest! Well done on making this decision. And how beautiful that your bub latched on so well! I'm sure you will both do fine. You sound very positive and determined!

I too have been a little worried lately about these charts but I know my boy is healthy and strong!

Best of luck!

Well done morgan, how inspiring to hear a Mum reestablish bfing because she wants to try again!

Good luck and I hope your little one cooperates. Just remember, it will take a little while for your supply to reestablish itself.

If you are after some more helpful charts I can recommend the WHO's ones that are for bf bubbas. They can be downloaded from their website via a nifty program (called Anthro) that allows you to track your bub's growth yourself. But even on those my DD was on the bottom percentiles until she got to about 12 mths when she powered ahead!

This is the link to the section on the WHO website:
    WHO | The WHO Child Growth Standards

morgan78 Guest

Thanks Jennifer13 for that info - will have a squiz over the weekend.

We have managed to do a BF at the start of every feed today and i think i had a really really tiny letdown on the last one
    but now my nipples are stinging and looking really red i think she is chomping at them a bit cause of the bottle feeding. Is there a better bottle/teat we can be using - currently using avent and i remember having a similar prob with DS and i ended up with my nipples looking like they were lacerated and about to fall off

Again everyones support is really appreciated.

We use Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature. They are wider and more stretchy than avent bottles and so are little more like taking the breast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast