thread: Time between me eating to affecting bub?

Apr 2006
    Perth

Time between me eating to affecting bub?

How long does it take for what I've eaten/drunk to pass through my milk into A, and how long until the influence has gone from her body?

She was really unsettled yesterday and still is today. Has had heaps of really huge pooplosions and is really windy. Trying to work back to find out what has upset her so badly.

Thanks

2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Apr 2006
    Winter is coming

My kids react to sugar in BM. Usually it is 3-4 hours from me eating it to them being affected, obviously with a feed in there sometime but I have never narrowed it down to x time before or after a feed itms. As soon as I realized the trigger for them I stopped eating it, but it is very noticeable if I do happen to eat something sugary.

Apr 2006
    Perth

Is it that quick? Hmmm. Might not be diet related then given I had a very good healthy breakfast today and brekky/lunch yesterday. I was hoping more like 24-36 hours.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber. Love a friend xxx

Sep 2008
    Melbourne

If I eat dairy, DS has cramping and wind 48 - 56 hours later. Pead told me this is normal if it's the lower intestine that's reacting... so I guess it all depends on which part of her system is reacting.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jan 2006

I think it probably depends what it is and what effect it's having, yeah. Proteins will hang around for weeks before clearing, for eg, while other things may clear sooner. But then, it depends on their level of sensitivity as well.

Apr 2006
    Perth

I'm having a couple of poached eggs for breakfast. Could that be giving her tummy ache?

Sep 2007
    Brisbane

I'm having a couple of poached eggs for breakfast. Could that be giving her tummy ache?
    Hmm I eat a lot of eggs too and I have a gassy bub. Co-incidence?

Apr 2006
    Perth

hopefully better detectives than us will know ;-)

Sep 2007
    Brisbane

I called the ABA help line about diet affecting bub and they aren't sure it really has that much of an effect (see my most recent thread) and suggested (like HoTI said) looking to other causes for the gas.

Apr 2006
    Perth

I read HoTI's post - good to know we don't have to be as crazy strict about eating most of the time. I'm really wary after DDs 1 and 2 both had significant intolerance issues. If she was just unsettled I wouldn't be so concerned, but the big increase in pooey nappies and obvious gut discomfort are concerning me.

Sep 2007
    Brisbane

I read HoTI's post - good to know we don't have to be as crazy strict about eating most of the time. I'm really wary after DDs 1 and 2 both had significant intolerance issues. If she was just unsettled I wouldn't be so concerned, but the big increase in pooey nappies and obvious gut discomfort are concerning me.
    DD1 had significant intolerance as well. Especially to dairy. I am not a huge dairy fan so it isn't much to take dairy out of my own diet. What were your DD's intolerances to?

Apr 2006
    Perth

dairy (protein) and gluten. Makes it hard

Jan 2006

Most foods really are ok. Some babies have sensitivities, as you well know, but often it's other stuff - like taking in air or simply the immature gut.
    It could also be a sign of illness?

The only way to be really sure about food is to trial an elimination diet.

Apr 2006
    Perth

She had her check with the GP yesterday so pretty sure I can say not illness - unless its jusr coming on.

Do wonder weeks and/or growth spurts make them unsettled and pooey? I feel so stupid asking these questions for my third baby, but given that nothing was normal for 1 or 2, this is like the first time for me

Jan 2006

she's of an age where the poos might change... but not really sure about that.
    it might be that she's unsettled due to developmental leap and the poos are unrelated (ie, not distressing)?