Thread: Baby going into Nursery 1st night after C/s??

lindie Guest

Default Baby going into Nursery 1st night after C/s??

I had my pre-admission last week and was surprised to hear and read on my paper work that the first night after the c/s that baby will go into the nursery the first night whilst I still have drips, catheter, leg warmers etc... and that he will be brought in the next morning?

i was under the assumption that he would stay with me and I would buzz the nurses etc... when he needed me?

The next little issue I had was that it was a minimum of a 6 night stay? WOW I am going private and this is great care I know but gee im going to be climbing the walls by day 5 !!!!!

Did anyone else have this with a c/s

we are 2nd on the list of c/s for that morning so it will be early

Lindie

Hi - I had an elective CS on a Tuesday morning and they took Alex away that night and told me to sleep. I was a bit miffed at the time because every time I heard a baby cry I thought it was him and they bought him to me to feed anyway.

I didn't know that was going to happen before I went in.

Do you have to stay that long if you don't want to ? I had four nights in a public hospital and that was more than enough. I could have gone home a day earlier, but everyone said to make the most of the rest !

Leg warmers ? that sounds fashionable !

Barb.

I stayed in hospital for 7 days after my c/s (Private). Matthew stayed with me the first night but DH also stayed the night so he was able to get up and down to Matthew and pass him to me.

Are you going to breastfeed? If so what are they going to do overnight with the baby? Bottlefeed him/her?

I personally would want my baby with me at all times and I`d buzz the nurses to come and get him for me as I wouldn`t like to be separated from our very important first night which should be spent in bonding with each other I`m also a breastfeeder so I also wouldn`t want them to put a bottle to the baby`s mouth.

I stayed for 3 nights, even though the midwives thought I should stay longer.
    I was a bit sick after the c/s, and the midwives took DD, at their insistence, for all 3 nights and just bought her into me when she was hungry.

Nic

My memory is a bit vague but I do remember at some stage during the night DS going to the nursery (he was only born at 5pm though and he spent a fair bit of time with me before he left) but they bought him to me for each feed during that time - and by next morning he was with me permanently - so in fact I think they only had him long enough for the time in between one feed and the next cause he was a 4hrly feeder from day dot. After that it was room in the whole time except the second last night when he played up and the nursery offered to take him a while while I slept (have never been good with babies in the same room as me).

They pushed breastfeeding at my hospital so would never offer a bottle unless they had mums permission or usually even suggestion by mother first.

I stayed 6 days and would only have considered going home after day five at the earliest cause it took that long to get the feeding sorted and some weight gain happening. Although it did get lonely some nights when no one else around the saving grace of having some one their to help with feeding meant I wasn't going anywhere too quick.

Hi,

I think if you have a problem with any policy or procedure at your hospital just question it. Never forget that it's your birth and your baby and if you want your baby with you then it is the midwife's job to support you in this.

Lisa

sonsangel Guest

I stayed for 7 nights but the first night I was in being induced. My Emergency C ended up being at 8:57pm and my baby stayed by my side from the moment I got back to the ward. Which was about 2 1/2hrs after the op. I had catheter, drips etc still in and the midwives encouraged me to hold and try feeding bubs. I was very tired and don't remember it fully. It's still like a dream. I was ready to leave the hospital by day four, but my BP was still quite high and they didn't want me to go. I was a public patient in a private room and they never once forced me out. In all I had a good experience there.

I think you should speak up if you aren't comfortable with baby going into the nursery. It's useless they take bub away if your not going to rest because s/he isn't with you.

Don't just accept what is written down, this is your birth experience no-one can take away your most memorable, precious time of your life.
    Best wishes

I agree with Lisa, I was firm in my birth plan that our baby was not to leave either my or my husbands arms unless they were ill and needed attention. And Matilda never left our arms for the first few days. The first night Matilda slept 8 hours anyway, but she was with me after the c/s. Make sure you decide what you want and be firm!!

Alexzander was born by emergency c/s at 1.27AM. By the time I got back up to the ward, settled in & Aaron left it was about 3.30-4.00am. They took Zander for I think probably 2hrs and then he was back with me. I had the catheter, drip etc etc for all of that day & he was with me I just had to buzz if I needed help. Then for the rest of my stay (until about 3hrs before we left) I still had the drip in because they said I had a temp (once, because the room was so darn hot!).

As for staying, the public hospital I went to had a policy of 6-10 days. However you could be released into domicillary midwife care where they come to the house. I hated the midwives & the whole hospital environment so I went home as early as I could (which for c/s was day 3). So Zander was born 1.30 Sunday morning & we were home by 1.30 Wednesday afternoon. The midwives came out every day until the next Sunday. My staples were taken out at my house on my lounge! If there were any issues they would have kept coming to the house until they were sorted, but we were ok.

lindie Guest

Thanks everyone for the replies,

I am a little nervous and have signed the forms for him to have a comp feed if needed as Ive never had a c/s before (natural births for last babies) and have heard all these stories about your milk not coming in for 5 days etc... so was a little nervous and signed '

But think if I really feel like I want him at any stage will insist that a midwife goes to nursery and gets him for me!!! It is private and I am paying so bugger them they can do as I say I think, DH has offered to stay but I have 9 days to go and for the last month I have only been getting about 3 hours sleep per nite so I prolly will use that night just to get some rest if the adrenalin doesnt kick in for too long.

But again thank you everyone

lindie

Hayley1 Guest

Hey Lindie!

I just wanted to let you know I felt the same way. I signed the forms too about the complimentary feeding because I didn't know how things were going to go. I didn't know if I was going to be able to breast feed or anything! But everything turned out fine. I am sure that if you want bubs to stay with you, they would not have a problem with that at all and you would just buzz them when you needed help. I don't remember too much about the first night, but I do remember that bubs was just about as tired as I was and slept pretty well! We really didn't want bubs to leave our side. We even felt nervous when they took him to the nursery for 30 mins to give him his Hep B shot and the heel ***** test - but when he came back he was fast asleep.

Hayley.

Dont mean to intrude, but why are you having the csec??? I find this does make a difference to how you are( healthwise IYKWIM) I had emerg csec for #3 and she never left my sight( once back to the room) this was public.
    A bit like sarah i had her at 3.40 am on Sunday morning and I went home wednesday at lunch ( at my insistance) I had domicillary midwive for another week. I had my drip and catheter out 5 hrs after return to ward ( again at my insistance) I mean the facts are it is your body and your baby and you have rights!!!!!

NONONONONO!!!! If you want your milk to come in don't let bubba go to the nursery! Babies fuss just before your milk is due to come in, and if you want it to come in at all its better to be up all night/day with them infant led feeding on and off as much as possible than it is to just feed them when they bring them in every "4 hours" (which is what most midwives will do) as most hospitals do not believe in infant led feeding. I had an emergency c/s with Paris and my milk came in after 24 hrs (she was not put in a nursery). It came in after 48 hrs with Seth and he was a vbac bubs. Please don't let anyone tell you what WILL happen, nothing is set in stone and its better to try and see how it goes rather than dot your i's and cross your t's and miss out on the possibility iykwim?

*hugs*
    Cailin

I do hear that in some hospitals midwives recommend that babies go to the nursery so mum can rest up. Like Cailin has said though..this mighnt be the best for bringing your milk in. My baby was always in my sight right from birth..please remember that you have every right to do what makes you comfortable...dont get pushed into anything..this is your birth experience.

Jo

lindie Guest

Thanks everyone for the answers,

Im not too worried I think Ill just play it as it comes.

Mumofbundlezofjoy- The c/s is for the babies medical reasons. Find it funny that people still question the relevance of your c/s?

Thanks everyone will be just seeing how I feel as the c/s is early morning so might be better by arvo and no need for baby to go into nursery

thanks cailin on the breastfeeding after c/s info, cant seem to read enough about it!!!

Lindie

The reason I was asking was, coz if its for bubs medical reasons, then there may be a valid reason for keeping bubs in the nursery KWIM???
    When I had the twins they had to go to the SCN as were prem, no choice.

Too if its for your medical reasons again bubs might need to bef "out of the way" whilst they try to get you right.

That is the reason I was asking, people will always want to know "why" as there are people whom elect to have csec's when not medically indicated, as pscychologically need this. and as a species we want to know everything. I have been questioned extensively from friends and families alike for all my birth choices.

lindie Guest

Thanks Vanita,

Yes I know havent even had the caesar and I have been asked by every Tom,**** and Harriette WHY???? Whilst I understand there are women who just elect and thats their personal choice, each to their own is my motto, But no Baby has Ventriculomegaly (enlarged Ventricles at 21 weeks) and we just arent taking any chances.

Have had 2 totally natural births previous so a huge change for me, thats why I have asked a fair few questions of late as I dont really even know of many people who have had a c/s

Cheers
    Lindie

Well Indie, see this changes my earlier response, about keeping bubs with you on first night, the chances are that your bub will need close observation is high, now during the day you are awake and gazing at bubs and would notice any changes, during the night you would be asleep and the lighting not bright, so bubs going into the nursery is probably a medical need, not just a "thing" they do IYKWIM.

Will bubs need the SCN??? Have you been told whether or not it needs an op, or is it something that will settle down ???

You know as I said people are interested in others lives ( nosy) and dont always use their brains before speaking. I honestly wasnt trying to pry, or infur something, but as I said the reason for the csec, also helps me answer your question honestly.

I have had 1 csec, and I know of others here who have had them too, and we are happy to answer any questions.