Thread: c-section under General?

Default c-section under General?

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has any stories of having an elective c-section under general anasthetic?

My first child was born after an emergency c-section and i opted to go under General as it was 2am in the morning and was absoultely petrified of someone cutting me open to that extent while im lying there awake.

this time i am having an elective c-section as my Ob suggests it would be the safer option to take for me & bub's but im not sure what to do.

Do i have it awake or go under General, i kind of feel like a failure and a whosse not having it awake but i must admit im so scared of the epidural aswell, so just wondering if its a common thing to have it under general or would they (the dr's) look at me a bit strangely!!!:eek:
    Just would love to hear any stories!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Michelle, do you have a medical condition? Is there a reason he is saying that its safer?
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

my second son was an elective that ended up being under a general as the epi/spinal didn't work. Other than the being out of it for the actual birth I came to pretty quickly after, BF and then was so sleepy went back to sleep for a bit - I didn't find the recovery any different from my first c/sect which was an epi.

Michelle,

I had Epidural also in full blown labour at 4cm dialated and ended up in emergency c/s. Honestly the Epi is not bad, I will have another child and have an elective c/s with an Epi next time round. But I must also say that my friends have had a spinal and said that was much quicker than the Epi. In both cases they give you a local anesthetic first before putting the Epi or Spinal in your back.

They just topped up the Epi to give me my c/s. They test you with ice first on your stomach and a bit lower to make sure you cant feel anything. If you can they said they would have put me under general. I was happy to be awake to see my baby being born. I was happy I didnt have to have a general. But its individual choice hon, whatever you are most comfortable with.

Bel
    xxx

Kelly, I had trouble with Hayleigh fitting through my pelvis and not to mention that she was caught up in the cord 3 times anyway, the Ob did not think she was going fit through naturally and she started going into distress, so it was a pretty traumatic event for me, as it is for anyone i know, but this time i would rather just have the c-section electively so i can actually enjoy this one rather than being so scared i was going to wake up and something had happened to her as i had everyone rushing around me like mad people not really telling me what was going on.

Belle, i would love to see this baby born as i did not see Hayleigh, that's why im so confused...actually more scared of what to do and i sort of feel i like i will be cheating Hayleigh a bit as i did not see her born and will be seeing this one, if that makes any sense, but from everyone's advice i will be definatley giving the epi/spinal alot of consideration. thanks heaps!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Just was wondering - I dont like to give advice if I dont know the full story - e.g. there could be an underlying medical problem which makes matters different etc. I hope you are able to make a decision thats right for you
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Shell,

My baby also got stuck in my pelvis. She didnt have the cord wrapped around her though. I will also opt for elective c/s next time as I have a bone in my pelvis in the way so have been told I am unable to give birth vaginally.

I can understand why you wonder which way to go due to your first birth experience. I guess in the end the most important thing is for you and the baby to be both healthy and happy and well and do whatever you feel most comfortable doing.

Bel
    xxx

chelleg Guest

Hi Shell,
    Most obstetricians would prefer not to use General Anaesthetic when doing a cesarean as the medications are more harmful (not unsafe) to the baby, and therefore when a general anaesthetic is used they really have to get in there and get the baby out ASAP. With a spinal/epidural, they tend to have more time and you get to share the experience a little more so to speak. They will show you your baby as he or she is born and should let you hold him/her on the operating table whilst you are being stitched up. I can imagine the thought of being awake in an operation is scarey and i have been in cesars where women haven't liked the sensations at all, but for the most i would say that women are comfortable. I had one woman describe the sensation to be like someone rummaging through a handbag - but definately not painful.
    Read up on all forms of anaesthesia and see if you can have a consultation with an anaesthetist to discuss your options, air you concerns and ask as many questions as you need.

hi there - I had charlie with a epidural - he was my first child i had a broken cocyxx bone and elected for a c section - i was awake and fit was the weirdest feeling for a while i couldn't handle it - i couls geel someone cutting at my stimach but no pain at all, In the end i felt good and i needed my husband there to reassure me
    Do what ever you feel is good for you