Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caesarean Chatter #2

Melinda Guest

Default Caesarean Chatter #2

Did you have a caesarean? Was it an elective caesarean or an emergency caesarean? How did you feel about it? Share your experiences here!!

I never imagined I'd be here, but well here I am!

Alexzander was born by emergency c/s after 36hrs of labour - I dilated to 9cm, but that was it. I begged for 2hrs that they do it, but they said it wasn't necessary. After 5hrs at 9cm they finally decided to do it.

I'm happy with how it turned out although I would have preferred to have a natural birth. My mum is really upset, because the exact same thing happened with her first & I was told I would not have the same problems. IF we decide to have another baby it will definately be by elective c/s as I am not going through, as Tootie has mentioned before, 2 births again.

My wound is healing really well, but in the last few days I've noticed some spots around it are a bit numb - is that normal??? Also I have developed some red dots, not painful at all, that look like mozzie bites below the wound right in the middle. Does that make sense? Did anyone else get these?

I would get the spots looked at Sarah. Not sure what they could be.

Did they stitch you or put staples in ?

Can i ask where did they cut you ??

I was cut on my bikini line and could not see anything unless i looked in a mirror.

I got some infected hair like things or ingrown hairs afterwards and they looked like small bites under the scar line...and I also had scars where the drain was removed. Oh! I've even forgotten where the staples were took me 2 weeks to heal.

Oooh Christy you might be onto something there with the ingrown hairs.... I didn't have a drain, wonder why some Drs use it & others don't :-k

I had staples Michelle, but the red spots aren't from them. Umm, my cut is just below or right on the hairline I think. I can really only see it in the mirror too.

Getting very frustrated with this bleeding as well - I thought it was way less with a c/s? This is way worse than a normal period & driving me bonkers!! I think once it's gone I'll start feeling a bit more like my normal self.

Melinda Guest

I'd actually heard that bleeding was worse with a c/s. Not really sure why. But mine was REALLY heavy for a while as I said in another thread Sarah. It's not very nice is it.

As for the numb spots....I still have those!! An entire section above the scar is completely numb. I reckon you probably have a few ingrown hairs as well. Unfortunately there wasn't time for them to do a quick shave with me and I had this horrid tape stuff stuck over the top of the hair etc.....thank god the incision wasn't any lower LOL. I didn't have staples at all, just the internal stitches and the tape over the top for 2w.

Debbie Lee Guest

I had a c-section too! I haven't written out my birth story yet (trust me, it's a looooonnnnng one! ).
    Basically, I had been given an epidural and put on a sintocin (sp?) drip to bring on stronger contractions. Every time the drip was turned up, Gabby's heart rate (which was measured with a scalp-clip because the CTG was useless) would go down. There was also meconium in my waters when they broke them earlier. They turned the drip off and tried again a few times but each time Gabby would show signs of distress. So it was announced to me that with each contraction there was pressure on the cord somewhere. It might have been that the cord was around her neck or some other way, they couldn't be sure. So, I would need to have a c-section. I didn't really mind because I just wanted the baby to be safe and well so I didn't care what I had to go through.
    I didn't have staples just the disolvable stitches.
    My wound seems to be ok. I had a big tummy to begin with so I have to lift it up to be able to see it. I am more aware of it since I took the steri-strips off but it doesn't really hurt. We have a few warm days coming up so it will be interesting re: the sweating. I may have to have a couple of showers I think.
    As for the bleeding, mine hasn't ever been any worse than a strong period. Right now it's kind of like a light period. The MCHN today said that it would probably last another couple of weeks and be really off and on. I have noticed I get a bit of a gush when BF and she says that is because the uterus contracts when you BF. My Mum told me that with my 3 younger sisters, she would feel slight cramping when she was BF'ing them. Interesting!

Deb sometimes my cramping during bf even felt like small contractions... yuck...

My scar has all the feeling back!! I didn't notice when it happened because like Tootie, my scar was numb and I just checked while reading the posts and I have feeling!

I too was of the misconception that you don't bleed as much after a c/s, but boy, I sure did. It was 4 weeks before I stopped, and the first 2 were really heavy. Especially (sorry if TMI) when I got up in the morning. I freaked out in hospital about this and thought I was passing clots but the nurse explained to me that it just pools all night cos you're lying down and makes it seem worse when you get up.

My scar is still numb too, and I get a bit achy there if I've been for a big walk or something. Oh yeah, had some ingrown hairs too. Geez, what a list of ailments - I'll stop complaining now, lol!

I had an emergency caesarian and it was absolutely fine - just chatted with DH while the medical team did their thing. My female ob stitched me up leaving a neat and hardly noticeable line below my pubic line.

As most of you know, we had an elective caesar due to Sebastian's size. The procedure itself was fine...although the spinal block was VERY weird.

I had quite a lot of pain in the week following though, and the cramps when BF sometimes got a little bit out of hand... if that's what contractions feel like I'm glad I didn't have to wuss my way through them

My wound has healed very well, and because I'm quite flabby I'm keeping a cloth in my flab fold to keep things dry and not irritated (I'm sure there's a better word for that..) down there. I still get a bit of pain when I over do things, which is mainly when I get up in the morning feeling prefectly fine.

The bleeding is really giving me the ****es though. I always hated getting my period, and LOVED not having to worry about it while I was pg, and now I've had the bloody thing for 4 weeks!! It plays tricks too, being quite heavy then slacking off to virtually nothing for a few days only to gush later (sorry if TMI). I'm hoping that it won't go on for much longer though.. I hate having to walk around with a surfboard between my legs!

It's horrible isn't it Zola & I've only had it for 12 days so far!

You know what's driving me nuts - "are you going to the toilet alright?" - it seems like every Dr / midwife / nurse that you speak to asks this. And they all write your answer down, why can't they just read what the last person said?!

LMAO Sarah!! I remember wondering what was wrong with them... TMI but I did everything needed by 7am the next morning! So I kept saying I've been doing everything since 12 hours post c/s, no worries... and can I now get some personal privacy? I mean its bad enough with everyone wanting to poke & prode your bb's

Hi everyone
    I'm finding the second time around to be alot easier than the first,
    I am basically recovered now whereas the first time i was sore for months, i too have ingrown hairs where my scar is Sarah, my healthnurse told me its very common and not to worry about it.
    (TMI Warning!) I have stopped bleeding, but i have been having a brownish discharge which is a pain because it's alot lighter than a period, but still warrants a pad, i can't wait till it stops.

Melinda Guest

Naomi - I had a bit of that brownish stuff too, which was how it all started tapering off for me.

Zola - I had afterpains when doing the BF with Jacob...nasty!! I would also have bleeding-free days and then all of a sudden, woosh....yucko!

Sarah & Christy - I remember when I was in hospital that they were asking me if I was going to the toilet alright and also (TMI) if I was passing "flatus" LOL!! Geez........I think they need to know to make sure that your bowels are working normally (or beginning to return to normal) following the caesarean as it is major abdominal surgery and the bowels don't work for a little while.

Yeah apparently you can't eat until you have passed wind in case something went wrong & you have a blockage somewhere. They didn't believe me that I had in recovery (at 2am) and refused to give me anything for breakfast other than liquids. So I had breakfast at 7am Saturday then nothing but water until lunch at 1pm on Sunday!

Thats awful Sarah!!! I had breakfast delivered to me before the am midwife arrived!!! To check me out...actually the maternity ward had a tea room available at all hours to new mums and I went & grabbed breakfast myself...LOL toast & yogurt & coffee for me...before I even talked to the midwife about wind/wees/poos.... weird [-X

Melinda Guest

I wasn't allowed to eat anything much for days!!! I was allowed fluids and some yoghurt. Mind you, I must admit that I didn't feel like eating.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast