Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Caesarean Chatter #4

Hi everyone, just wanted to jump in on your thread if that is ok?

i am having an elective c/section on 7th october, for medical reasons. so i was hoping i might be able to prepare myself by learning from you guys and asking lots of questions - hope that is ok!!

so, i was wondering - do they put the catheter in before or after you have the spinal block? and how long does it stay in for afterwards,

thanks all,

Linda

I had mine placed after the epidural as I was in labour for a while before the spinal block (which went in as I went into theatre). My cathetre stayed in for 12 hours.

Melinda Guest

Hi Linda, ask away!

Firstly, I had a catheter put in whilst in labour which once my bladder had drained, was then removed. It was because I had lost the ability to go and I had this thing whilst in labour to keep going to the toilet whenever I thought about it to drain my bladder - sounds strange, but apparently it's common to forget to go and with the water/ice you're consuming, you definitely need to drain it. Plus, you can easily lose the sensation from all the pressure. Honestly, I didn't feel the catheter put in at all, but I was pretty anxious about it at the time........I was amazed that I wasn't more uncomfortable, but I guess being in labour, I was preoccupied with the pain from that!?

Then, when I had the epidural, another one was put in. And then when I wound up having the caesarean, it was already in place and it stayed in until I was allowed out of bed 24 hours later. It felt a bit peculiar for a couple of days after it was removed because I didn't feel the need to go, but I kept taking myself off to the loo and sitting there until something happened LOL!!

Linda - My catheter was put in after the spinal block was inserted and it was taken out mid afternoon the next day, I was really worried about the catheter hurting but off course I didn`t feel a thing with it going in neither did I when they took it out.

Debbie Lee Guest

Hey Linda,
    My catheter was put in once the epidural was put in. It didn't hurt but, MAN, did it feel odd! I looked at Neil and said "Things aren't meant to go up that hole!!" LOL
    Gabby also had a scalp clip monitor on her head so I had all kinds of tubes coming out of me, LOL.
    I had my c-section at around 5pm and the catheter wasn't taken out until about 10am the next morning (after I had asked for it to be taken out as soon as I woke up at about 6am cos it was really uncomfortable). I didn't sleep very well because of the catheter and because I was flat on my back.
    It will be different for you tho. I imagine because you are having an elective c-section, you will be up and moving before the end of the day rather than sleeping it off over night??

thanks everyone!! LOL debbie about 'things arent meant to go up that hole'!!! i am booked in to have the c/section at 8am, so hopefully it will be taken out before bed that night? fingers crossed.

im glad to hear it goes in after the epi or spinal block. dont like the idea of something going in 'that hole' while im still feeling it!!

Linda

Custardtart Guest

I had one, but didn't feel it going in or out. Didn't bother me in the slightest physically, although the idea of it freaked me a little bit!

Kerrie

Debbie Lee Guest

That reminds me. Having it pulled out was weird-as!! It didn't really hurt - just felt strange. My first wee stung a little bit but I was ok after that. The funny thing is having to monitor your wee afterwards. You have to measure it and tell the nurse each time you have been. Ahh.. nothing like measuring your bodily fluids to take the romance out of childbirth LOL

Melinda Guest

That's interesting Debbie....I didn't have to do anything like that! They just asked me if I'd gone and if it was ok.......they were more interested in the workings of my bowel LOL!! 8-[

Deb - I also didn`t have to measure my urine but like Melinda they were more interested in my bowels working and they wouldn`t let me home until they started even when I mentioned I only go once a week 8-[

thanks guys!! this is great being able to ask you all how it was for you. i have another Q:

how long did you stay in for after a c/section? i would be happy to stay as long as possible first time, as i want as much help as i can get with bf. so if you are not in a hurry to go home, how long do you usually stay (and is it different with your first)

Linda

Melinda Guest

You normally stay in longer for a c/s than you do a vaginal birth. Normally around 5 - 6 days. I was in hospital for 6 days and by that time I was more than ready to leave LOL!!

I had Matthew at 5.15pm on a Tuesday, I was transferred to my post natal hospital on the Thursday and stayed there until the Tuesday morning, so 1 week but I could have stayed longer if I wanted, it was all left up to me as to when I wanted to go home and DH stayed with me all except for 1 night so that was great as I had his help when I had a shower, he had to dress and undress me as I couldn`t bend to take my undies off or put them on.

It depends on you and the hospital. I left on the 2nd day as I couldn't stand the majority of the midwives, so I was able to do hospital in the home. I think the policy was 5 days, but I can't be sure.

*hugs*
    Cailin

yeah ours had the policy of 5 days, but I left after 3.... and had hospital at home. I'm pretty sure if you are going well with breastfeeding & all your functions are okay they will let you go, but if you are going well & know that you will have to do stuff at home, stay as long as you can LOL!

If I wasn`t being transferred to another Hospital I would have been going home less then 2 days after my c/s, I didn`t like any of the midwives at my delivery Hospital but they were fantastic at my post natal hospital

dee - your post natal hospital sounds so good. it would be so great to have DH there as well.

i hope the midwives are nice to me!! [-o< i am known to be a bit sensitive at the best of times!!

so i am hoping that if they are all nice and i am learning from them to stay in about a week, but i guess until i am there i dont really know if i want to stay a long time or not.

i just hope they dont try to 'rush me out the door' IYKWIM. i want to feel like i am capable of BF properly etc before going.

thanks again for all of your responses,

Linda

Linda - I was in for 7 days (6 nights) which is the standard time for the Private Hospital I was in. Vaginal birth is 5 nights.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast