Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caesarean General Chatter & Discussion #6

Melinda Guest

Default Caesarean General Chatter & Discussion #6

Welcome to the caesarean chatter thread

Did you have a caesarean? Was it an elective caesarean or an emergency caesarean? How did you feel about it? Are you planning on having a caesarean (an elective caesarean or for medical reasons)?

Discuss your thoughts and feelings here!

Don't forget to check out the Birthrites website for further information about caesareans.

Melinda Guest

Last thread is here guys!

Carry on!

Yay, im first!! I had an emergency c/s at 30w, due to a massive infection in the lining of my uterus and thru my placenta. I didnt get to see my daughter for 2 days-didnt even get to see her as they took her away (got a crappy polaroid later), as i was fighting the infection and in agony from the op-i was on voltarin and tramadol for 2 weeks after. All i could do was sleep. Its only now (5w later) that im really getting back into doing anything. My daughter spent 4 weeks in SCN, so i had to drive the 1/2 hour to the hospital and back every day, and look after my 2 1/2yo and 14mo. If we decide to have another one, im not sure how i will be having it... I was planning to have a natural birth, even though i was only 30w, but when i started having contractions Anneliese's heart rate kept dropping to ike 80bpm. So no chance. I am terrified of needles (even though i've now had 3 kids!) and i had a spinal. I didnt think it was too bad, slightly uncomfy when they put the local in, but nothing after that. I got real itchy, at first around my lips and nose, and by the time i got to recovery, my arms were bleeding-i coudlnt feel them properly so i would scratch harder! I also had the shakes, nurse was great and got my this heated blanket-had hot air pumping thru it. was bliss. I was in so much pain, i think not only because of the infection and everythign, but i had massive clots coming out of me, and the nurse in recovery kept pushing really hard on my stomach to get them out. Right where i had just had surgery!! I dont know if i even want to have another baby (i do, but i dont want to go thru what i just wen thru again.) I wouldn't wish a c/s on my worst enemy. Labour may be painful, but recovering from a c/s is worse... much much worse. And as i said to my DH "Ill thump any d!ckhead who tells me i took the easy way out." First of all, its not easy, and second of all, it wasnt my choice to have one, i did it to save both mine and my unborn childs life, as chorioamnionitis does kills lots of babies. And even if i chose a c/s, ITS MY CHOICE!

Sorry, i'll hop off my soapbox now, i just had an arguement with one of SIL's friends the other day about this... she's anti c/s. wait til she has to have one Muahahaha!! xx

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

hope you are on the mend now Simone - yes you are right it is our choice if we have one.

I am sorry you have an awful time with your c/s.No one can judge what choices we make for ourselves and our babies.It is definately not the easy way out. Though you didn't have any choice this time.I am so glad your little princess is home and doing so well.

I too had an emergency c/s @35wks 4 days (but not a dramatic one) due to developing Cholestasis which affects the liver and is more common in multiple pregnancies but can lead to stillbirth,haemorrhage and other nasties.Incredible itchign was my main symptom - though I now know I had others - exhaustion etc. So they decided to do c/s earlier. The boys were both breech anyway so I was booked to have one for this reason on 14th July.

I had a spinal -which I didn't find painful -though very awkward due to my huge belly ... however I did kind of feel the sting/pull of the first incision.

The ice test ... left my forehead dripping but didn't really gauge the numbness well. The anaesthetist was very nice and keep reassuring me and cupping my face with his hands telling me it was okay and asking how I was doing. I don't remember that much it is kind of a blur.I don't remember any nausea or other problems.

Afterwards in recovery I was in a lot of pain and the PCA (patient controlled analgesia) didn't touch it. I had a few bolus doses but was in a lot of pain for hours - till they moved the machine where I could see it and press the button every 5 mins - because you can see the countdown... and says available now !

My sons were NICU for 3-4 days and have been in SCN for 2 weeks tomorrow - I understand how hard the constant to and froing from the hospital ... lucky the walk to SCN isn't too far and I got dropped off at entrance. But regardless I would have crawled in if I had too to be with my miracles.

The first night they wheeled me down in the bed to see them about 7 -8 hrs after their birth. I had only a 10 sec glimpse - blurry with tears and without my glasses or contact lenses LOL - after they were born.

hi
    i am new to this tread, i had an "emergency c-section" with Madison as i only dilated to 2cm after 11 hours and my contractions were all over the place, i was also induced as my waters broke and nothing happened. I am now over 40 weeks pregnant and i am going into hospital on Thursday 20/7, to have an ARM, however if they carn't do that then it will be a c/s.
    This baby is prostier (spel) so i think i will end up with another c/s unless this baby comes in the next 48 hours, what is it like having an c/s second time round, is it easier?

Good luck Kelly. I can't answer if it's any easier 2nd time, but just want to wish you the best for the birth either way.

Good luck Kell I have only had the 1 c section so cant much help but would think it couldnt be any worse than the 1st c section?

I too can't comment on a 2nd c/s as i only have had one emerg c/s - but wanted to wish u all the best anyway

carlys Guest

Default Worried after reading posts

Hiya all!!

I am 38+2 weeks, and on friday i am going back to my obs for another examination and ultrasound to see if bubs has engaged yet... (she hadn't last week).. doc said that if she does not drop into the pelivc cavity by this Friday coming, i will need a c section.. eeek!! I am freaking our abou it all after reading some of the posts.... although i may not have much of a choice in the matter... is it really that bad????:eek:

How lond does it take to recover from the surgery? Do you bleed like after normal labour? ummm.... will i be able to look after bubs when i get home without help?

sorry for all the questions, but i reallydont know much about it as i was expecting to have a normal birth (especially after a basically text book pregnancy!) I have only researched normal births.. silly me

Any advice would be great!

Carly. Try not to get too stressed.

is it really that bad???? - well I guess that depends on how bad you expect? To be honest it was worse than i expected, but that's because I kidded myself about it being easy.

Yep, you bleen like after normal labour, but I think they do remove some of the blood etc so you probably don't bleed quite as much.

Yep, you'll be able to look after bubs. Picking up bub is fine & you can look after it, but don't try to do housework etc for a while.

Anyway, I hope you don't have to worry about any of this!!! Come on little bubba!!!!

I was the same as you and did very little research on caesareans before the birth of my son, I was even determined to have a natural birth with no drugs but things were far from what I had planned. I left the hospital on day 3 (Zander was born Sunday early AM, we left on Wednesday lunchtime) and was up and about walking ok, my only problem was stairs & getting in & out of bed. Ones my staples were removed on Friday I felt almost back to my old self, but like Linda said, take your time getting back into cleaning / washing etc etc because you are healing from major surgery. I needed help with carrying the laundry out for a few weeks & basic cleaning like vaccuuming and picking things up off the floor. BUT I was able to pick my son up, feed him, change him, make his bottles and also put him on the floor and get him back up off the floor.

I've never delivered a baby vaginally so can't compare the amount of blood loss, but from what I have heard it is the same or slighlty more. Yes they do suction out alot of the blood, but you also have the blood loss of where the op was done. Some people have a drain put in fpr a few days (?) which I guess would help with that, but persoanlly I didn't have one.

One suggestion that i read about which was a godsend was to buy some of those huge nanna knickers. Your scar is low down & it's most likely that your normal knickers will irritate it - mine sat above the scar (which is just on the hairline) but I found that even though they were above they irritated the nmuscles that had to be stretched to get Zader out.

HTH, but even moreso I hope that bub has engaged for you

Kell Guest

Hi Carly - i agree with Linda try not to get too stressed My first was an emergency so i wasnt at all prepared for c/s (like you it only occured to me that a vaginal birth was in the cards ). it wasnt terrible, but i dont remember enjoying it all that much. lifting and caring for bubs is fine after c/s, but avoid housework and heavy lifting, also some say you shouldnt drive for at least 3 weeks. i think it tok me about 2 weeks b4 i felt really comfortable (ie no tenderness or feeling like i should be gentle and not move excessively iykwim?) but i was moving around by the 2nd day after the c/s with no real pain after about the first week. Good luck with it all, HTH.....

i also had to have an emergency c/s so i was totally unprepared (it's good that u've got a little time now to research it a bit incase u do end up needing one). It was painful afterwards - sore and tender, hard to move around heaps at first. My only advice is to walk around as much as u can - don't just stay in bed otherwise u become too stiff. It sounds crazy but the more i walked down to the NICU where my daughter was, the better i felt. Oh and the granny undies and loose trackies/pants etc are a great suggestion...they definately come in handy. I had about 1-2 weeks of bleeding (like a period) - it wasn't bad at all - but i also had a drain in so maybe that helped.

I wish u all the best - don't stress too much about it if possible - try to think that in the end ur going to have a healthy, gorgeous bub to finally meet and love

carlys Guest

Default thanks ladies!

Thanks for all your advice ladies, i will let you know how it goes!

Good luck to all mummies to be ou there Take care!

Unhappy

Hi guys, I am booked in to have my first c/s on 17aug. I just have few questions. Me and my DH are against any male seeing me naked, hence we have a female ob and had female midwife care. I understand that they are all dr's but still feel really uncomfortable. Anyway this afternoon I had my aneisthetist appointment. He is male, but he made me feel really good about having the spinal and pain killers etc. However I now know that he will be there while I am shaved and cathetarised etc. I let DH know this and his response was, you told me this wouldnt happen now I wish I didnt get you pregnant. I cant stop crying I feel awful now. I just want to know how naked or exposed do you get while being preped etc? I just dont know what to do, I cant have a vaginal birth so there is no going back. I feel bad for it all even though I dont have any control.

Love

Helen...the anaethetist puts the spinal in while you have a gown on and your back exposed. He will not be near where the surgery is taking place. He will be up near your head monitoring how you are going. A cathetar is put in place and a screen is put up so nothing can be seen anyway. Please try not to stress...this is a happy time for you.

Jo

Hi Helen,

The procedure is exactly how Jo described it. I hope everything goes well for you and try not to worry too much. I'm sure your DH will understand that the anaesthetist is a medical professional and it is all in a day's work for him. A friendly supportive environment in the theatre when you're having the caesarean makes a world of difference so it's nice that the anaesthetist has been so reassuring to you. Good luck.

Mel

PS: William's caesarean birth is in the Birth Stories thread if you would like to read about how things went for us.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Carly, is there a medical reason you need to have your baby born by a certain date? Because if your Ob is doing a caesar because your baby isn't engaged then it's important that you know that a baby (first, second, third - doesn't matter) can engage anytime right up until labour. Yes it is often the case where a first time baby will engage before labour but plenty don't. I know many women where this has happened and they have birthed fine. However I don't know your history so if there is something else then it would make more sense. If this is the only reason a caesarean is being done, then do you really want this?
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast