Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you have a scheduled c/s?

Kirsty77 Guest

Default Did you have a scheduled c/s?

Hey girls

Just wondering for those of you who have had scheduled c/s's can I pick your brain for a minute!?

Let me explain first.......with Gemma I laboured for 21 hours got to 9cm and stayed there for 4 hours, no progress, so rushed up for an emergency c/s. I honestly remember very little about it, I'm pretty sure I feel asleep a few times on the table!LOL! I was exhausted and had sampled most of the drugs they had on hand! I had a spinal tap for the c/s as the epi only numbed my right side.

So my questions are..........

1. Was it totally uncomfortable feeling all the tugging and pulling etc?
    2. did they give you and epi or spinal tap?
    3. Would you do it again?
    4. How aware were you of everything they were doing?

I've kinda decided on having a scheduled c/s as I've been having sever gallbladder attacks and don't fancy having one while labouring! But the thought of being totally aware of it, all the pulling and tugging grosses me out and I'm terrifed of needles. So I guess I'm after reassurance...........no huge horror stories please!!

Hi, I'm in the same boat as you. So I can't answer any of your questions - sorry. I also had an emergency c/s for the same reason you did.

I don't recall feeling any tugging or pulling but it may of been because I was exhausted like you.

I have decided to have a scheduled c/s as well so I would like to know the answers to these questions as well.

I had an epidural for my previous c/s.

Hi Kirsty

I had an elective CS for DS, and will b booking in for another with no 2. The thought of a vbac scares me more than another cs.

The feelings you describe of pulling and pushing, arent that bad, especially if you are expecting the sensations of it IYKWIM. A strange feeling more than uncomfortable You shouldnt feel any pain whatsoever.

I had a spinal tap, and would have another next time too. I had no probs with it being inserted etc.

I was totally aware of everything that was going on. I can remember everything like it was only yesterday. I had no pre meds to make me drowsy. So every thing was crystal clear, right down to the image of DS when he was pulled out!!! Burnt into my head LOL!!

Good luck with everything, hope all goes well for you, as it did for me!

Hi Kirsty. Ive had one emergency forceps delivery, one emergency c section and 2 scheduled c sections. The tugging you mentioned is very noticeable but not that uncomfortable. I was fully aware of what was going on and able to breastfeed after about 40mins after bubs being born..after the initial first contact. I had a epidural and unfortunately have had bad experiences with them but I wont harp on that ....my midwives were aware of that at the time with Sammy so were helpful in trying to alleviate my concerns. Me...if I had my choices again would never had scheduled an elective c section for Olivia. At the time I thought it would be the best option after 2 quite traumatic birth interventions. I can so understand your concerns and its wonderful you are trying to see both sides and make the right decision for you. Goodluck with whatever you decide

Jo

Kirsty77 Guest

Thanks so much everyone for your positive responses, guess I'm starting to freak out as time is closing in.

Brooke-I found the thread!Thanks!!
    Last edited by Kirsty77; September 23rd, 2006 at 08:38 AM.

Melinda Guest

Kirsty, I am having a scheduled c/s in a matter of days......I shall come back to report to you!

But as you probably know, I had an emergency c/s with Jacob and I was very aware of the pulling/tugging, but felt no pain at all. For the emergency c/s, I had had an epidural put in during labour, and then the spinal block drugs were administered through the epidural infusion and the EI stayed in place for 24 hours afterwards for pain relief.

This time around, I am just having a straight spinal block, where the needle goes in, they administer the drugs, and then the needle is taken out.

Like I said, I will report further when I can........!!

Kirsty77 Guest

Thanks Melinda and Theresa! I'll be waiting to hear all about it Melinda!LOL!

Thats great Theresa as my sister said the same thing as you...that the second c/s was soooo much easier. I;'m just terrifed of surgery and needles!LOL! Crazy as I've done it all before but really cannot remember it!Thank you so much for putting my mind at ease!

Kirsty77 Guest

I know what you mean! I'm just a bunch of nerves thinking about it but I know on the day I'll be fine.

B456, I would feel more anxious the next time round too than the first. I think for me, I prefer the unknown, rather than the known LOL!!! We get thru it in the end no matter what though!!!
    Good luck to you both xx

Melinda Guest

I'm pleased to hear your response Theresa, because I have been anxious about it too, as it's a different scenario to when Jacob was born......and well, I just feel plain old anxious.

But only time will tell.....

I loved the fact that I turned up in the morning with no contractions and it was a calm atmosphere. I too definatley will be having another. As for the pulling yep it is quite weird but also the staff in the theatre were all prepared for my surgery and nothing was rushed including the anethesis who talked to me before being wheeled to theatre and also there. There was also time for a bit of chit chat putting us all at ease.
    Good luck Melinda!!
    Bec

With Kat it was an emerg c/s and with Jess, I was booked in for unstable lie. I recovered a heck of a lot faster and found it a breeze the second time. I wasn't as stressed and nor was my body and it was sooooo much easier! The staff were wonderful and everything went smoothly. I had a epidural both times, but the second time was great.... It should be easier the second time as with emergancy c/s's we usually have been thru hrs of labour, our bodies are exhausted and don't recover very well.... Goodluck and I hope I have been of some assistance in allaying ur worries....

Hi Girls,

Jumping in a bit late here ...

Mine was scheduled and I had the spinal block. I didn't even feel it going in. I think because the c/sec was planned, the atmosphere around the whole thing was actually quite calm and centred. I felt the doctor doing something but no actual pain or any very strong sensation as such. I recovered very well and quickly afterwards. As a result of this, I wouldn't have a problem going through the same procedure again if it was necessary.

If you'd like to talk about it further, please feel free to PM. Good luck with your caesareans ladies and I wish you a swift and easy recovery.

Mel

Kirsty77 Guest

I agree Brooke. Its made me feel so much more at ease. Corey's read all of your responses too and has liked what hes read.

Melinda will be the first to report back!!

Goodluck Melinda!!

Melinda Guest

Thanks for the well wishes - I will definitely give a full and thorough report when I can to give you all some further feedback.

I know I've really benefited from reading the replies in this thread too - great thinking Kirsty!

3 scheduled c.sections for me due to a small pelvis.
    nikki

Melinda Guest

OK, here I am, reporting back as promised!!!

The anaesthetist put in a local anaesthetic before the spinal, so what I felt was minimal. I felt some pushing/prodding from the needle going in, but that was it. It was a bit uncomfortable and I admit, I too was scared so I was a bit tense as it was going in (plus having a contraction at the same time as I'd actually started going into labour!). I was laying on my side to have it put in.

It took effect very quickly, and then the catheter was put in.

I felt a lot of pulling/tugging, but no pain whatsoever. I felt sick within only a few minutes, but was given drugs to counteract this which worked successfully for a while. I felt a bit funny in terms of my breathing, but it settled down.

After Ruby was born, I started to feel unwell again, and unfortunately started vomiting (the drugs didn't work that time). I was sick 3 times.

All in all, it seemed to take longer than the c/s with Jacob (I guess I was much more aware of what was going on though, compared to last time, plus it was a bit longer as they did an additional procedure called an apronectomy to remove some skin).

Recovery-wise: definitely better this time, although I am bruised and battered from the extra surgery. Yes, there is definitely pain, but not having laboured, I felt much better otherwise IYKWIM? I was up the following day after her birth and I think had pain relief like pethidine, panadeine forte, voltaren suppositories etc as required for a few days.

Kirsty77 Guest

Yeh it numbs the area around where they put in the spinal tap. Like if you were to ahve stitches or something.

WOw Melinda thanks for reporting back! I can't believe you went into labour! You reckon it was from nervousness?!?! I have a date for my c/s now and am getting nervous! ITs on the 25th oct, hope I make it that far. I guess then you actually classify your c/s as another emergency one as you went into labour!LOL! Glad to hear your recovery is better. I also laboured along time with Gemma (21hours, c/s done after 23hrs) so I'm looking forward to not hurting absolutely everywhere this time!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast