Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elective C/S - did any of you choose this birth option?

Hello again..Megan the forceps delivery was fairly excruciating..dont want to put a dampener on deliveries but it was pretty harsh but seeing as it was with my first I just figured that was how it was. Tootie..Ive also had the same comment said to me..and from a Man of all people..like what the??? ](*,)

Jo

*Megan* Guest

Tootie - the mental health thing I feel is very important.....I don't know whether unborn babies can feel stress from their mothers, but if they can it can't be good!

Jo - I hope that you only had the dreaded forceps with one of your girls - as it does sound awful and it is terribly frightening for me....

I thought that you had your baby at 38wk if you were having a c/s too - but maybe for the first one they would make you wait a little longer as first babies are often overdue?

Megan

*Megan* Guest

Hi Everyone

Thought that I should post in here again and give you an update. After much deliberation, I have decided to have a c/s. I will be discussing this with my OB on Friday and hopefully she will support my decision.

Thanks for all of your comments in this thread - I really appreciate all of your honesty around your experiences as it does make it easier for first time mums like me!

Thanks again

Megan

*Megan* Guest

Thanks Fletch - I hope that your OB appointment goes really well....come and chat with us in the July thread - it would be nice to keep in touch!

Megan

WOW...I just wanted to say that someone asked me this weekend if I was "too posh to push" =; don't even get me started....

BUT then DH turned around to HIM (thats right another male) and said, after 20 hours of labour, the baby was stuck in the same position for 6 hours, and maybe the c/s didn't have to happen in the next hour but it was the only way out, now is that an emergency, maybe not life and death, but definately the only way she was coming out alive. And with that he took my hand and walked off...gotta love him!

*Megan* Guest

Christy - I cannot believe that! :shock: And a guy none the less! Shocking behaviour - who makes up these stupid sayings anyway......people can be so rude...... :mad: Stupid Man!

Megan

*Megan* Guest

Shame on the magazine for using such a phrase - peoples reasons are there own and even though I am choosing a c/s - the thought of major surgery does not thrill me at all, but I am confident that it is the best thing for me and bubs at this stage!

Megan

I heard a term recently that I love! EBAC...it means Empowered Birth After Cesarean. It DOES NOT mean VBAC although often many people think it does. It actually means that you will have an Empowered (through choices, support and understanding) Birth experience. As I read recently that EBAC is actually about the involvement you have in the decision making process as thats where the empowerment really stems from. And no matter whether you have intervention, c/s (elective or emerg) or induction you can be empowered and should be. This is generally acheived by an inquisitive patient (knowledge is not a bad thing) and also and informative support group, be it doula, dr, midwife or even a group of women on a forum

So IMHO if you are empowered by your choices then that is all that matters. Why let your own amazing experience be tainted by a few peoples mindless and hurtful comments. BE EMPOWERED You have decided on something thats right for you and that is ALL that matters. And I have too had that bollocks said to me about "not giving birth" as my child never passed through the birthing canal...what a crock! HONESTLY! Its so sad that not only do women feel the need to compete in parenting but even before that, birth.

I agree with the others...You go for it!

*hugs*
    Cailin
    (who's next labour attempt will be an EBAC)

Woohoo Cailin! I love that phrase - EBAC! That's what I want to have next time too!

*Megan* Guest

Cailin - I love the phrase too! Thank you so much for your email...your comments are most valuable! Thank you also for your positive remarks - it is such a scary decision to make, and with all the judgement out there it just makes it harder for women like me that have no clue about any form of birthing!

Thanks again

Megan

Hi Megan

Just wanted to share my story... My OB thought my daughter was going to be too big for my pelvis, and suggested I have a CS.

I agreed, and to his amazement, she was only 3.5kg (approx 7 and a half pounds). It turns out I could have delivered her easily, but she did have her chord around her neck, so that would have presented a slight risk.

Anyway, she arrived safely and i was very glad of that.

20 months later when I was having my son, a different OB suggested I have another CS so I didn't put any strain on the scar. Because I'd already had one, and I had no ill-effects whatsoever (and didn't need any pain relief after the first day post-delivery) I agreed.

I thank God every day that I had that first CS with my daughter, which influenced me to have the second CS with my son. He had congenital heart failure (which could not be diagnosed in-utero) and would have died in during a VB.

I wear my scar with pride - every day it reminds me how blessed I am to have my two beautiful babies.

*Megan* Guest

Mistyfying - thank you so much for sharing your story - I am so glad that you made the decision that you did also!! (and I was pleased to read that your recovery was positive - were you fit going into the birth?)

It is stories like yours that make me feel more confident with my decision! My OB has mentioned about my pelvis being small too....too early to tell though how big the baby will be! My DH is big - so not sure if this has anything to do with it!

Megan

Mistyfying - Thank you so much for sharing that with us.
    It makes me feel so much better knowing you choose to have a second c/s and everything worked out well.

I now know i have made the right decision in having another c/s.

Megan...

I wasn't at my fittest... the only exercise I was doing was walking. Before I became pregnant with my first I played indoor netball once a week, but that was about it.

Thanks for sharing that story I really appreciated hearing it! And Cailin... I will hold onto that if we have another baby...EBAC.

Custardtart Guest

I'm considering having an elective c/s for my third child, as I've had complicating factors with the last two. The one thing that is making me reconsider is the downtime after the birth - I have to weigh up whether I'll be incapacitated longer with a c/s or with a v/b.

I've had friends who had c/s, and all of them said they hadn't quite realised how hard the recovery time would be. To me, that makes it a bit of a gamble - it IS major surgery, no matter how you look at it, so I'm balancing it against what happened last time... when I had a spinal injury caused during labor and it took me six months to be able to walk properly again.

I honestly don't know which is going to be worse to recover from. The idea of being cut open isn't exactly thrilling, at least with a v/b most of the pain is gone within a few days of the birth.

I guess when it all comes down to it, it IS a personal choice, based on where your faith lies.

Oh - and having had two v/b's, I would NEVER be so insensitive as to claim someone hadn't 'given birth' because they had a c/s! What does nine months pregnancy count as? Like it makes you less of a mother... *grumble*. The hard part comes AFTER the baby is born! (mind you, that's the best part too)

Kerrie

*Megan* Guest

Hi Kerrie

I have been worried about the 'downtime' too with a c/s - it was one of the main reasons to put me off doing it! But I have spoken to sooooo many people and the recovery times vary from person to person. Also, I have spoken to a few people that had vb's and were still recovering 9 weeks later!! (from severe stitching inside and out) I would be interested to know how others recovered (in this thread some people have posted about their recovery and it has been most useful) but if there is anyone else out there - please let us know!

Mistyfying's comments are interesting above re: recovery time.

Megan

Hi girls,
    Just wanted to add my bit about recovery. I was 40 and fit and healthy and had my first child by emergency c/s. I had a general anaesthetic and I nice lot of i/v painkillers afterward so the first 12 hours after I was pretty out of it. but I had no pain thru te whole recovery and the only discomfort and difficulty I ever had was moving in and out of bed (and moving from sitting to lying in bed in the first few days). I felt fine within 2 weeks. But mind you it was my first baby and the middle of winter so I did not have to push myself.
    I did find my general fitness and endurance level decreased. I got a big shock when I went for a walk pushing the pram at about 8 weeks and was completely exhausted. I thnk I was told that the anaesthetic could have that affect.
    In the hospital, I have got to say the women that had the V/Bs looked much wrse of than those with c/s.
    I would choose a C/S again definitely.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast