Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elective C/S - did any of you choose this birth option?

*Megan* Guest

Default Elective C/S - did any of you choose this birth option?

Hi girls

I know that there is a c/s chatter forum - but I wanted to ask a specific question......

Did any of you choose an elective c/s for your first baby and if so, what were the reasons? If you choose a c/s for your second I would also love to hear from you and your experiences!

Thanks to everyone in advance!

Megan

Well I had an anterior placenta that was very very large with prevaia (sp?), so I was always going to have a c/s. But at around 36w (guesssing) the ob said that I could probably try a vaginal labour because the placenta "appeared" to be moving up and away from the cervix. There was no u/s option to confirm this. So I ended up having an elective c/s because I wasn't prepared to take the risk!!! My waters broke 2 days for the scheduled date and the midwives tried to convince me to give natural labour a go as I was already 4cm dilated with no pain, when I presented at the hospital. I quickly said no thanks and please call the surgeon now! I only had a few weeks of living with an elective c/s but I suppose it didn't worry me because I really considered it as a medical necessity.

Good luck with your decision(s)

Melinda Guest

Megan,

I had an emergency caesarean with Jacob, but when we have another, I will electing to have a caesarean. When I had my 6w post-natal checkup with my OB, he recommended that I have a caesarean next time around due to the complications that arose during labour with Jacob. He did say that I could try a VBAC if I wanted to, but I may wind up in the emergency situation again and I want to avoid that situation, so in my mind, I feel a lot better knowing exactly what will be happening next time.

*Megan* Guest

Thanks guys for your responses....I am seriously considering an elective c/s and have been feeling so much judgement about it from other women that I have met. It is great to hear your views and experiences.....thanks so much for writing and if you think of anything else - please write again

Megan

Megan - go with what you think is best, don't tell anyone and avoid the judgement. Anyway I thoroughly believe that it's not how the baby is born the matters but how well you parent the baby her/his life. (As long as the birth is healthy for both mother and baby that is).

DH said once "you don't get a medal for natural child birth!"

*Megan* Guest

Thanks Sheree and I did LOL at your comment of getting a medal. I was talking to my neighbour the other day who has had 3 c/s and understood the judegement from other women in particular! I just find the whole thing a bit sad that in 2005 there is still an expectation that we will struggle to give birth to our babies or we haven't really 'achieved' what is considered acceptable! My neighbour informed me that this attitude is alive and kicking....I just don't get it!

Thanks again

Megan

Hi Megan,

I chose an elective c section with my third child after my first two had gone into foetal distress. My first was a forceps delivery and my second was an emergency c section. I figured with an elective I wasnt going to be in for any more suprises. I will be having another c section with my fourth. I do find that some women can be quite judgemental..especially ones that havent had c sections (in my experience) but really it is up to you and all we really want is our babies out safely right? Goodluck with whatever you decide.

Jo

*Megan* Guest

Thanks Jo and Shannon

Jo - one of my biggest fears is having a forceps delivery....how did you go? (please comment only if you don't mind talking about it!!)

Shannon - I can't believe that you expereinced a level of harsh judgements from doctors? I was thinking that midwives might have preconcieved ideas about what is considered 'right' but I am surprised about the doctors. My OB has been supportive to my concerns thus far which is great.

I too am worried about the recovery - but with a natural birth, there is no guarantee that you won't need time to recover either is there?

Megan

megan, I am having a c/s, but i dont have much choice, have a giant baby and a small pelvis, so the two don't really mix.

are your fears of a vag labour your only reason for considering a c/s or are there medical reasons involved as well. you don't have to answer, i'm just curious that's all, not judgemental.

i am the other way around i am terrified of having a c/s and just wanted to have a vag labour - would be good if we could've swapped!

Melinda Guest

Can you believe someone said to me once that I hadn't "given birth" because I had an emergency caesarean?! I found that quite offensive. I laboured for a long time and gave it my best shot (and found it very traumatic) but in the end there was no other option, and as far as I was concerned, the main thing is that Jacob arrived safe and sound.

Megan, I think that whether you have a vaginal birth or a caesarean, you need time to recover. Your body goes through quite a lot giving birth either way!

*Megan* Guest

Tootie - I am absolutely appalled that someone would say that to you!!!! :mad: Makes me want to scream actually! Some people are sooooo rude and inconsiderate! What did you say?

Min - I have a weak pelvic floor (but will find out how bad it is on Friday when I see a physio) but I am thinking that it is the best option for me. I don't want any permanent damage and I don't want to go through an 18 hour labour to have a c/s anyway and I really don't want a forceps delivery!! I am still waying up the options - but I feel so uncomfortable about a natural birth.....yes - we should swap situations! I will make a decision over the next few weeks. I really wanted to hear from people in my situation that are having a c/s by choice as I know that they have got to be out there on this site as I have met plenty around lately...when are you booked in Min?

Megan

For my next bub I am probably going to choose to have an elective c/s. This is because when I had my DD she had shoulder distocia (where her shoulders got stuck) which is apparently an emergency situation. And the fact that my pelvis was a bit small for her. She also weighed 9lb 7oz. The doctor who delivered her said it was probably best if I had c/s next time round. He advised i have an u/s at around 35-36 weeks to estimate how big the baby will be and if too big(which is most likely) then have a c/s at around the 38 week mark.

I don't mind the idea of a c/s if it is elective. I would rather have that than an emergency one. For reasons like, you are prepared for it, there is less risk of losing you or the baby, doctors arn't rushing the process to get the baby out, so less chance the doctor making a mistake or something because their hands are working faster than they are thinking.

Tootie, that is really harsh for something to say that by having a c/s you didn't give birth! I would have slapped that person silly. It is not like you had the choice and anyway I don't see what the problem is as long as you and the baby are ok.

*Megan* Guest

Tegan - I am with you!! I don't want an emergency c/s either...hence the planning and thinking about one electively!

Megan

Tegan - what Tootie said about by having a c/s you didn't give birth i have had that also said to me.

Megan you know that i am having an elective c/s this time. As i really don't want to risk having another emergency c/s.

Michelle, who would say such a thing? That really is horrible. Some people have no consideration at all!

When are elective c/s scheduled?? 1 week, 2 weeks before due date?
    Had an emergency one with DD and just wondering for No 2. (I know it's a bit early to worry about it but....)

Tegan - DH's cousin said that to me. She had quick births with hers and no problems. It is very upsetting when someone says it to you. If i didn't have Kimberley when i did they might have lost me.

saschasmum - I was told 38 weeks if you are having a c/s. Not sure if they will do one as late as 39 weeks just in case you go into labour early.

Melinda Guest

It is an awful thing to say isn't it Michelle. I was just so stunned I was speechless.....I just couldn't for the life of me think of what to say.

Megan - I absolutely DO NOT want to have a whopping long labour again and end up having an emergency caesar again....no way. It was like giving birth twice IMO.....I had all the physical exhaustion of labouring, and then the caesarean and days on end with no sleep! Definitely not a situation I want repeated, so I am not going to hesitate next time around and will have the elective caesarean in a heartbeat. It will also do my mental health the world of good I think, and I believe that this is something that a lot of people fail to understand.....

Honestly, if you believe that this is the best option for you and have weighed up all the options and discussed it with your healthcare provider, then don't feel bad about it ok? It's entirely your decision and you need to do what is best for you. I'd hate to see you feel as though you 'had' to go for a vaginal birth when you are absolutely petrified of it, plus there are the pelvic floor issues that you mentioned which you need to take into account and I imagine are of great concern to you.

Saschasmum - from what I know, elective caesareans are normally scheduled for around 38w.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast