Thread: general or epi??

Default general or epi??

i'm so confused at the moment.. i know i will be induced on wednesday if this baby doesn't decide to come before then... but, there is a high chance i will need a c/s and i really don't know if i want an epidural or a general anasthetic (sp?)

I am terrified at the thought of someone cutting into me while i am still awake.. but on the other hand i want to be able to see my baby when he is born... i just don't know what to do..

I don't want to freak out while they are cutting me.. ( i suffer from anxiety attacks and not on any medication at the moment due to being pg)... I can't stop thinking about it..

what would you choose??

would the hospital even let me choose what i want??

Hey sirenz

in most cases it is the preferred option for the mother to have an epidural, as this carries less risk than a general...also you get to witness your baby being born ...even if it has the appearance of your baby coming out of dark green drapes (you dont see anything of you)

I have assisted in many c/s...and I can assure you that they never ever start the procedure unless the mother is fully comfortable...if it is any absolute emergency or if you have a history of spinal problems this is when the anaethetist would opt for a general

have you thought about how you would like to welcome your baby with a c/s...you can have music playing that will help calm and relax you and perhaps try a simple relaxationt technique

rapid relaxation...imagine the body in 5 sections...inhale fully and deeply, close your eyes and as your exhale slowly visualise the sections of the body relaxing...5 4 ,3 ,2, 1...it takes practise and is useful for lots of situations

you will be fine...focus on meeting your baby

hope this helps

xx yogababy

after 15 hours of labour i was told baby was to big and they said i think its time for a c/s,i cried and wanted to be knocked out as i was so scared of being awake.. but mum talked me around and im so glad that she did.. it was the most wonderful experince seeing them hold my baby over the green sheet after she was born!! the first hugs and photos are pricless!!! plus it could be ages before you see or hold your baby if you have a general!!

do u feel them cutting and pulling. like not pain just tugging. that makes me feel so sick. i got a mole cut off and i couldnt handle still being able to feel wat they were doign even though there was no pain.

Hey dan

most women do say they experience tugging and pulling sensations they only make the incision wide enough to accomodate the baby's head...so sometimes it is a bit of a tight fit

Sweetie... i was so scared of the tugging etc. But when it was happening, everyone was so busy talking to me, and I was so busy telling them how excited I was to meet my son etc etc...next thing he was born!

Just relax and realise any second you will meet your precious baby xx

i had a nurse talk to me the whole time and before i knew it she was being held over the sheet!! i felt a little tugging but you are so excited you dont notice it really!! just relax and after it you will wonder why you were so nervous about it.. i did!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Moving to c/s chatter
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I so sympathise I have had both general and spinal C's and I have suffered axiety/depression aswell(not at the same time though ) I would highly recomend the spinal/epi not just because of the physical aspects but because emotionally it's alot less stressful, being aware of what's going on stops some of those axieties because your awake you feel a bit more in control. Sounds so stupid but I struggled after my first C (general) with the thoughts of what happend while I was asleep! what if they switched babies, what if he was in danger while I was asleep and I wasn't able to hold him... etc. I had a spinal with my second and although I was very anxious and nervious I was also so excited which made it all seem alot less overwhelming.
    Try not to worry too much and practice thinking positive about the whole thing. I know it's hard

Hi, with my c section, after 37 hours of labour, i was so out of it emotionally and mentally i really didnt panick about the "cutting" aspect of it. I was upset because it resulted in a c section in the first place.

Hun, seriously you wont feel a thing with the epidural, in fact i asked them if they had started yet, and 30 seconds later i saw my DS for the first time.

I wouldnt reccomend personally asking for a general, i would hate to have missed out on hearing that first cry. Only have a general if it is a TRUE medical requirement. Bub needs to be placed on you as soon as possible, and breast fed as soon as possible. AS i do beleive this is a huge impact on bonding and breast feeding relationships.

Why do you feel that you will need a c section in the first place?

Hi, I had a spinal and it was great, didn't feel any pain, any touching, or any pulling or tugging at all. The theatre staff were also great, they kept talking to me so I wasn't focussing on my body at all. I'd recommend it if you do end up with a c section. I didn't feel sick and woozy like I have after generals, plus you get to see the baby being held up, hear him cry, and feed him in recovery - it's just that your legs are 'dead' for a little while!!!

Perhaps you should speak to the dr and midwives re your anxiety, so you can discuss options in advance for dealing with this whether you have a c section or not? For example, if you choose meditation which involves counting, perhaps they could count with you? Or run through a soothing phrase for you while you are delivering?

Hi Sirenz,

I had a c/s under epi last week, and like all of the other ladies have said, you don't feel any cutting or pain, just this weird tugging and pulling sensation. I also got a bit of the shakes, which was apparently from the epi itself - it doesn't happen to many people though, but if it does, please don't worry. The parts that they are working on aren't shaking because they are anaesthetised, and it is nothing to worry about if it happens.

If you have a c/s under epi your partner should be able to be in the room with you, so he can hold your hand and help you to stay calm. And it is the most wonderful thing in the world when you hear that first cry and get to see them for the first time. (Even just writing about it now has reduced me to tears... again...).

If you've already had an epi put in during the course of the labour and they need to do a c/s, don't worry that because you felt contractions or other sensations during the labour that you will also feel things during the surgery. They use a different kind of anaesthetic in the surgery (it just goes in through the existing epi site), and test that it is working using ice-packs before they do the incision. I was a bit dubious myself but I didn't feel any pain AT ALL at any point (and my c/s was what they would call a difficult one). Apparently with a spinal block you feel even less. And like Natalie said, they won't start until you are comfortable.

The scariest bit is the anticipation of the unknown, the actual process itself is actually not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by suse View Post
    The scariest bit is the anticipation of the unknown, the actual process itself is actually not bad.
    you hit the nail on the head there suse... i think that is what my problem is... FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN!!

oh well.. i'm going in at 7am to be induced or c/s (if he is still too high up).. i find out when i get in there.. Either way. i am having my baby tomorrow and i'm starting to feel excited now as well as anxious..

thanks everyone for your responses..

GOOD LUCK SIRENZ - you'll do fantastically and at the end of the tomorrow you'll have your little one. I'm so excited for you and will be thinking of you tomorrow!

Yay ...you get to meet your baby tomorrow

good luck...

I will be thinking of you

xx yogababy

ps...great to have you back suse x

Sirenz honey
    i so wish I had the option of having the choice.
    My L3,L4 and L5 discs are buggered and 2 are fussed together naturally (Dont ask me which ones) so a spinal is out of the question for me. I tried to have one with my second but the anethatist couldnt get the needle in and I could feel the needle hitting my discs. I have had a general with all 3 of my children and will be having another one with this baby.
    I would so give to be able to see my child at the time of them entering the world and hearing that very first cry. On the other hand, I woke up in recovery and BF my daughter straight away and was up 2 hours after having her and totally buzzing so to speak.
    I wish you the best of luck and hope that you can get the birth you want