thread: Giving birth via c section?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    BellyBelly Member

    Sep 2010
    North West Victoria, Australia
    3,003

    ...just a thought...

    I think maybe I would have felt more like I gave birth if I'd actually been in labour at the time. But, I was on nifedapine and just turned up at 6am for my planned c/s.
    I don't have any issues with the fact that I had a c/s. I can nearly say I enjoyed it. Planned, simple and calm, recovery was fast for me. I know it was the safest way for DD. She was breech and severely IUGR, my placenta was failing fast.
    I just have issues over the way that my body failed my daughter and the fact that it came to having a c/s. The fact that, because of my body, I didn't even have the chance to attempt a VB.

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Sep 2005
    In the middle of nowhere
    9,362

    I was going to post a similar definition as you've already found, so I won't.
    I've had 3 now and I can say honestly that until Holly's I had struggled. Not for what other people thought of them, but for my own expectations being failed.

    My experience however is irrelevant to you. Some people have no idea on how what they think is simple can be so difficult for someone else.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Add fionas on Facebook

    Apr 2007
    Recently treechanged to Woodend, VIC
    3,473

    I know it goes against the grain but if I really thought about it, the method of giving birth really doesn't matter to me. I don't have a deep-seated need to deliver babies vaginally but I think when I joined BB I kind of got caught up in the idea that a vaginal, drug-free birth is the pinnacle of excellence.

    My first VB left me with physical pain that I still have nearly five years later (I had severe SPD which was greatly exacerbated by the pushing position I was in for nearly three hours). It meant that I couldn't be the mum I wanted to be to DD - I couldn't get down on the floor to play with her, could barely leave the house for the first six months because walking was so painful etc. etc. etc.

    After that, I couldn't care less really about VB versus caesarean - I just wanted a birth that would leave me with the least amount of physical damage. Once again, when I was pregnant with DD2, I got a little caught up in the idea that a caesarean was a 'cop-out'. Indeed, some people who'd also had SPD, had the arrogance to presume that their SPD must be the same as my SPD and because they had a VB and recovered well, it meant that I should too and anything less meant that I was a bit of a loser.

    Luckily, I ignored them and their near-fanaticism and had an elective caesarean with DD2.

    I felt better (physically and emotionally) after my caesarean than after my VB. After my caesarean, I felt that I could be the mum I wanted to be.

    And, to me, that's all that matters.

    Celebrate the way you mother your baby, not how you birthed her. Birth is one tiny part of being a mum. Lovely if it's everything you imagined but really, in the whole scheme of things, not that important (to me).
    Last edited by fionas; April 9th, 2012 at 06:13 PM.

  4. #4
    Registered User

    Sep 2007
    Brisbane
    5,729

    I know it goes against the grain but if I really thought about it, the method of giving birth really doesn't matter to me. I don't have a deep-seated need to deliver babies vaginally but I think when I joined BB I kind of got caught up in the idea that a vaginal, drug-free birth is the pinnacle of excellence.

    My first VB left me with physical pain that I still have nearly five years later (I had severe SPD which was greatly exacerbated by the pushing position I was in for nearly three hours). It meant that I couldn't be the mum I wanted to be to DD - I couldn't get down on the floor to play with her, could barely leave the house for the first six months because walking was so painful etc. etc. etc.

    After that, I couldn't care less really about VB versus caesarean - I just wanted a birth that would leave me with the least amount of physical damage. Once again, when I was pregnant with DD2, I got a little caught up in the idea that a caesarean was a 'cop-out'. Indeed, some of the members on here who'd also had SPD, had the arrogance to presume that their SPD must be the same as my SPD and because they had a VB and recovered well, it meant that I should too and anything less meant that I was a bit of a loser.

    Luckily, I ignored them and their near-fanaticism and had an elective caesarean with DD2.

    I felt better (physically and emotionally) after my caesarean than after my VB. After my caesarean, I felt that I could be the mum I wanted to be.

    And, to me, that's all that matters.

    Celebrate the way you mother your baby, not how you birthed her. Birth is one tiny part of being a mum. Lovely if it's everything you imagined but really, in the whole scheme of things, not that important (to me).
    I'd give you 100 rep points if I could. The method of birth doesn't matter in the slightest. It isn't important to me either. I don't know why we need to have superior or inferior births, rather than just a celebration that new life came into the world. The rest is just ... whatever.

  5. #5
    Registered User

    Apr 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    1,385

    I'd give you 100 rep points if I could. The method of birth doesn't matter in the slightest. It isn't important to me either. I don't know why we need to have superior or inferior births, rather than just a celebration that new life came into the world. The rest is just ... whatever.
    Here! Here!

  6. #6
    Registered User

    Jan 2011
    ~~Off With The Fairies~~
    1,746

    I know it goes against the grain but if I really thought about it, the method of giving birth really doesn't matter to me. I don't have a deep-seated need to deliver babies vaginally but I think when I joined BB I kind of got caught up in the idea that a vaginal, drug-free birth is the pinnacle of excellence.

    My first VB left me with physical pain that I still have nearly five years later (I had severe SPD which was greatly exacerbated by the pushing position I was in for nearly three hours). It meant that I couldn't be the mum I wanted to be to DD - I couldn't get down on the floor to play with her, could barely leave the house for the first six months because walking was so painful etc. etc. etc.

    After that, I couldn't care less really about VB versus caesarean - I just wanted a birth that would leave me with the least amount of physical damage. Once again, when I was pregnant with DD2, I got a little caught up in the idea that a caesarean was a 'cop-out'. Indeed, some of the members on here who'd also had SPD, had the arrogance to presume that their SPD must be the same as my SPD and because they had a VB and recovered well, it meant that I should too and anything less meant that I was a bit of a loser.

    Luckily, I ignored them and their near-fanaticism and had an elective caesarean with DD2.

    I felt better (physically and emotionally) after my caesarean than after my VB. After my caesarean, I felt that I could be the mum I wanted to be.

    And, to me, that's all that matters.

    Celebrate the way you mother your baby, not how you birthed her. Birth is one tiny part of being a mum. Lovely if it's everything you imagined but really, in the whole scheme of things, not that important (to me).
    AMEN!

  7. #7
    2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

    Apr 2006
    Winter is coming
    5,000

    Did I read that she is a prem mum too? Perhaps she is upset with her body for not growing her bub to term and whatever other issues there were going on with the pregnancy. So to make herself feel better about everything that went wrong, she is focusing on the thing that went 'right' - giving birth vaginally. Maybe it is a case of blowing out your candle to make hers shine brighter?

    Or she is just a stupid B. Of course a C-section is a birth, otherwise you would have a child that was never born.