Thread: Scared... 3rd Pregnancy... Last C-Section didn't go so well... TMI?

Default Scared... 3rd Pregnancy... Last C-Section didn't go so well... TMI?

I found out last week that we are expecting again (total surprise) and my biggest concern is that my last c-section didn't go well afterwards and all that history is back in New Zealand. We had a meeting with the hospital after EVERYTHING had happened and they put together a plan "just in case" I was to become pregnant again. Basically I was to have a double dose of antibiotics, have the c-section planned way before due date to reduce risk of going into labour (my birth channel is the wrong shape for natural birth) and I can't remember what else was decided but what happens if the doctors here or hospital what ever happens doesn't read the notes in the way that they were written... or things aren't taken as seriously.... or perhaps I'm just not informed... the care here is so different from NZ, I've only ever had one midwife for the whole of my pregnancy... what if I get lost in the system???

This is my birth story from my son's birth....

I think it was Friday when I finally realised that I had three sleeps left till Iíd get to see my little man and that he wasnít going to come any sooner, Iíd just have to wait.

My mum and sister arrived from Australia Friday afternoon and around 11pm I went to bed and slept really well, only waking twice for the toilet the last one being at 6.00am, I went straight back to sleep and woke with a gush of warm water that just kept coming and coming. I jumped out of bed causing my partner Josh to wake and told him that my water just broke, he jumped up and starting panicking thinking that the baby was just going to pop out right then and there, I told him to strip the bed (a new bed and all) and hand me a towel... well his dressing gown was all that was around so I stood over that slightly shocked with what had just happened. I made my way to the bathroom and sat on the toilet for a bit before jumping in the shower. Josh walked in and asked what we were going to do. I told him that after the shower I would wake Mum (my sister had gone out the night before) then ring my midwife.

The call to my midwife seemed a little strange as she said she would have breakfast and a shower first and meet me at the hospital in two hours. TWO HOURS??? I had no idea on how to fill in the time without dripping water everywhere... I first thought Iíd sit on the toilet and read a book but felt stupid, so I ripped off the water proof sheet off the babyís cot and covered one of the kitchen chairs with that and a couple of towels and started to time the contractions and fill time in on the boards. Contractions were 5 minutes apart but I had no idea how long they were lasting as I kept on forgetting to turn the contraction timer off.

Finally got in the car at 10am contractions getting stronger and proving to be all in my back and drove to the hospital with a hand towel between my legs and I waddled into the hospital. I saw the midwife and explained the above and that my waters were still leaking, she decided not to check my waters but to put me on the monitor to see the contractions, unfortunately due to my size and the fact they were all in my back the monitor wasnít showing the true strength of each one.

After some wait, around 1.30pm they finally got me ready and took me down to the operating room. Signed all the paper work and then they took me in.
    Once the spinal block & epidural was completed apparently I went deadly white and my heart missed a few beats and 90 seconds later after I was given some form of medication my heart went back into regular rhythm. Ethan James Rack was born at 2.03pm weighing 9 pound, and 51cmís long.
    We went home 5 days later and my pain wasnít totally under control, breastfeeding was coming along, it appeared a lot easier than my first son, however I still had a lot of difficulty with the latching on my left breast. I had my mum and my sister around, and they were due to leave on the Monday.
    Over the course of the weekend I couldnít understand the amount of sweating or pain I was in, my bowels hadnít moved since I was in hospital, but due to being discharged I put it down to the effects of the C-section.
    Sunday night I went to bed after spending a heap of time on the toilet trying to move my bowels and rubbed my hands over my stomach, I felt an apple sized lump over my fresh c-section scar and mentioned it to my partner saying that I would ring my midwife in the morning.

Morning came and my stomach was in so much pain, I put this down to constipation as I didnít feel sick, I didnít even think about checking the lump Iíd found the night before. I was reduced to tear and rang my midwife. She told me to go to the emergency room at the local hospital and see if they could help with the constipation.

They treated the constipation when I first arrived and said I had an infection from the c-section. I was transfer to the maternity ward, and then later transferred to the hospital in which I had had my c-section. Over the course of those 5 hours my lump didnít just double in size, it was more like 6 times the size it was when I felt it the night before. My skin had a rash all over my stomach and I had one blister. This grew and grew until my third operation when they cut away all the dead skin and the affected area.

It turned out I had a Staph Infection and Cellulitis, this then turned into Necrotizing Fasciitis. I was very sick and in hospital for another 15 days, two more operations on my stomach, more heart issues in my last operation, huge courses of a range of antibiotics and ALOT of different medications, Iíve never taken so many drugs, this affected my breast milk and my son received a fair share of these drugs, but luckily he also received the immunity I was building against these bugs. My milk almost disappeared and it still hasnít recovered, we are on half breast half formula. I havenít got nearly as much energy I had before the infection or pregnancy and Iím constantly feeling the side effects from what Iíve been through, my blood pressure drops constantly, my body goes though stages of not being able to digest food properly, I still have an open wound where my c-section scar should be, they say another 3 weeks before it closes. Iíve had two more courses of antibiotics since I left the hospital due to other infections.

But all in all... I have a beautiful son who Iím most proud of and made this horrible and scary experience worth it.

Hi Danielle

I can understand why you are anxious about the birth of your new baby growing inside you after that experience

Under the circumstances, if it were me I would be going private to ensure nothing goes wrong and getting lost in the system as you say. This ensures that the OB you choose knows all your history and then helps you with the best plan for you for the c-section and what type of drugs to be used during the c-section to help prevent what happened before. Also can you get your records from NZ? did they advise why it all happened? were you allergic to the Epi or Spinal? there are so many things you can consider for example, Im allergic to Morphine so my OB discussed with the anethetist the best options for me what to use. The choice in the end was mine and i chose a spinal block as it has way less drugs and I had fentenyl instead of morphine in the anesthetic. Also if you go private you can have discussions with the anethetist yourself about your concerns. I dont know if its the same in the public system as I havent been in the public system, so I can just give you my experience which is one emergency c/s and one elective c/s. Im only a pm away if you have anymore questions or if I can help any at all.

Hi Danielle,

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I'm sorry you had such a traumatic experience with your last pregnancy and birth.

My recommendation would be to start working through the trauma from last time now. Which by being here and posting now, you've already begun the process so good for you for realising that.

I would HIGHLY recommend getting your hands on a copy of "Birthing from Within" by Pam England. This is a great book for Women whom have experienced Birth Trauma.

Where are you planning on Birthing?

As Mischa said, in your situation having continuity would be the in helping you work through your fears.

It is possible to have a positive c-sect experience and there are many stories out there of such experiences.

I wish you all the best and a happy and healthy 10 months!
    x

Hi Danielle,

I've just sent you a Private Message.

Alicia

Unfortunately we don't have the option of going private, we were going to get health insurance before we started to try for a baby but this little one decided now was best.

I've been given the option of Mater Womans or Ipswich. I have a friend who works in the NICU at Mater so was leaning more towards that hospital and after the news last night of Ipswich being over crowded I thought my discussion would be best... but still not sure....

My first C-section was positive with no issues (although emergency) so I know that it's possible...

I have requested my records from the hospital back in NZ and will request the ones from my GP also as he was there before and after everything happened...

If only I could have lost dramatic amounts of weight before falling pregnant then I wouldn't have the "perfect" breading ground for infection around my c-section...

Oh Danielle what a horrible experience you had last time, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Please do not blame yourself for what happened My suggestion would be right everything down that happened last time and what plan was made for the next time. Please keep several copies of these so you can give one to everyone involved in your cares. I would make an appt with your OB as soon as you can so you can start working through your history and getting a plan in place for this birth. Getting a relationship and plan in place with your OB hopefully will help you relax and enjoy your pregnancy a bit more. We'll be here for you too. Best of luck!!

Danielle

Can you ask at public hospital to have the same OB if possible as you have a special case for the Dr to understand your history so it doesnt happen again? Also it would be a really good idea to discuss the birth plan and have procedures in place so you are at ease for your 2nd c/s. You still should be able to discuss with anesthetist why your heart rate dropped etc, asking them if it was the anesthetic type or what else was it ? I had an emergency c/s with my first after a traumatic 3 day labour and trying to birth naturally, so for my 2nd birth I went through counselling through a psycologist to help me prepare which I totally recommend, it really helped with my anxiety for the birth, also we spent a whole session focussing that every birth is different for each baby which really helped. I hope you find your answers and also the support you need and want xxx

Danielle - congratualtions

I've had 2 c-section, one private, one public. The second one was public but I was able to bring all my prior records with me and discuss the options with the drs before the op. I have a bad reaction to a couple of the meds and this was noted on my file (I saw it get noted) and I reminded every dr and midwife every time I saw them. It can be a better experience, just be sure of yourself and have all your history with you at each appointment.