Thread: second c-section

Default second c-section

Did anyone have a second c-section and it was much better than the first and in what way?

I am just curious!

Also did you heal quicker or was it worse?

Kirsty77 Guest

My second c/s was alot easier. My first c/s was an emergency one after I had laboured for 23 hours so the recovery was s bit harsh and my scar took ages to heal. Second time I ad a scheduled c/s and because I didn't labour as well it was sooo much easier and much more pleasant. and the scar healed so quickly.

Kirsty77 oh wow ok thanks for that.

I think I am deciding on a c-section. We have no one to mind our five kids when I go into labour, my bp has been a little high which concerns doc's, and even they are saying a c-setion might be the way to go if they can't keep my bp down enuogh to there liking. But that isnt the reason I am going to have anothe one. Its mailing because I cant shake a fearful feeling after already having a c-section and all my labours are long like 18 hours, 17 hours, 9 hours and so on. And I have no one to care for the kids when I go i and I dont want to be alone in labour if hubbie has to stay with kids and that could happen anytime of the day or night for that matter, so I would rather be organised for our children.

But my c-section 3 years ago was horrid afterwards I could barley move and I swelled up badly in my legs. So that worries me too. And everytime I moved I felt I was ripping my stomache to pieces! ouch!!

This is great to read Kirsty - I'll be having an elective - my first sounds like yours.

Smile

i have had 3 c-sections already and am going to have another one when im due end of may i find each one easier and easier my first one was a emergency where they put me right under and the last couple have been emergency c-sections but i had the spinal block so i was awake the last one i was up and walking 12 hours later so this one is really worring me

Kirsty77 Guest

Glad I could help!

I must say though my legs swelled with the second c/s too, but I espected it and the swelling wasn't nearly as bad, but I was on my feet quicker. I had my second c/s in the morning at 8am and by that night I was having a shower! I still had the iv in and everything!I just needed to get up. My tummy didn't feel as bad as the first time either. I think though looking back that the first was so bad cause I really didn't know what to expect. Second time I felt much more in control.............just the way I like it!LOL!

Kirsty77 actually I think that may come true for me too, first time you don't know what to expect, but this time I will so it should not be as bad, well I hope not!

I am not totally sure they will do ne though because my midwife said to me there really isn't any r eason I "HAVE TO"! I hope I get some say so in it. Do you think I can elect to have to done?

Hi Soul,
    I've had 2 and my second one was way better and less painful than my first. I took alot less pain medication and was up and about much quicker. Good Luck

Kirsty77 Guest

You sure can. If you've had one c/s before then its up to you if you opt for another or not. Public or private. I am a public patient and was given a choice.

I've just had my 3rd c-section and the recovery was just as good as my second.

With my second i had Alex at 2.36pm and was up and about at 8am the next day. I was able to move better than with my first c-section as i was so sick. I was also up and about at the same time with my 3rd c-section.

I think it helps when you have other kids to watch as you are doing little things for them and not resting all the time.

bailey99 oh wow I am feeling more excited now, I was really worried the second time would be as bad as the first time! Thank you for that reply, thank you!

Kirsty77 now my darling that was my "Biggest" concern! That they would not let me have one. We are on public too, so you letting me now this has me running out of my ofice screwaming with excitment to dh, well this lady thinks they will let me have one! LMAO silly I know! But i was so happy when I read your statement ! You see on my first hossy book in appointment 3 weeks ago they asked me how I wanted to birth and I said vbac, but since then I have decided to go with a c-section, so what will she thinks when I go back in there this week sometime and say I have changed my mind~! I am just worried she will say well you really dont need a c-section and balh blah blah!

*Michelle* oh glad you said ts your third because I ws thinking last night I still want one more bubs after this one but if I have a c-section I won't be able too, so wow they will do a third? Glad you too had a better time with recovery second time around! I am really worrying less and less now after reading all these stories!

Thanks everyone its great to read all these sstories!

Hi again Soul,
    Just wanted to make another comment about the 2nd csection. For my first appointment I was asked if I wanted a cesarean or if I wanted to try VBAC, I didn't want to decide that quickly and the doc and the midwife said throughout the whole pregnancy that I could decide at any time and also change my mind pretty much up to the last minute, but that because I had already had a csection, I could automatically elect to have a second. I was also a public patient at a public hospital. I think that the decision is totally all yours! Good Luck!

Kirsty77 Guest

My doc said exactly what Bailey has said...that I could change my mind at any time. I initially wanted to try for a vbac too, but changed my mind at the 5th hour!LOL I was 35 wks when I told them I now wanted a c/s and they booked it all in for me at 37ks I think it was and at 39wks I had my c/s. Best decision I made.

My first was after a long labour and failed vac extraction after being induced due to PE and it was hell (didn't help that the nurse had NFI how to put a catheter in and gave me a bladder infection). Took me ages to heal from it and I was in agony non stop for a couple of weeks. My second was a booked c/s due to unstable lie and I tell u what, the difference was amazing. It was a pleasant expirience and I had the bub at 9:30am and by 5pm was up having a shower and walking around without the PCA drip. I was great untill my temp shot up and I pulled the stitches shivering so badly. But even that only set me back a few days. I found it much easier the second time around. However, I desperately want to have a vaginal birth, so I am going to push for VBA2C with the next. I will just stay home as long as possible and refuse to allow them to operate unless it is vitally necessary. My body knows what to do and how to do it, it's just never been given the chance to do it naturally and in it's own time....

Ok, I am really glad I can elect it that was my main worry. I will ask when I go in early next week it will be. Second time sounds like a charmer to me.

katkins that is so great you want to try for a vbac, I hope it all works ut perfect for yu and you get what "You" want.

I don't feel bad anymore about wanting another c-section, I am far to worried about my kids been left alone at home and medical worries for me and the baby, just don't want to risk even that 1% for my bubs. I am a worry wart, so I have to do what makes me feel relaxed. The good thing is I have given birth naturally four times now so I know I have done it. So I have no guilt at all about choosing a c-section.

greeneyes Guest

My 2nd section was much better than the first. I've had a c/sec, 2 VBACs, and another c/sec. Both caesars were emergency, done while I was in labour. Both VBACs were totally natural, birth centre midwife-only deliveries.
    For the second c/sec I asked for a general anaesthetic. I know this is probably shocking but let me tell you why. I had an epidural for the first one and I HATED IT. It made me feel cold (i had to spend longer in recovery because my temperature dropped so low) but most of all I hated the feeling of being frozen and not "owning" my body. I did not realize how long it would take to wear off. I didn't like going back to the ward still unable to feel most of my body from below the breasts and being sooo cold despite the warmed blankets.
    I had a bit more leverage asking for the GA this time because I had already had an anaesthesia consultation. The original plan was to have a 3rd VBAC and then go straight to theatre for a manual removal of the placenta under GA (long story which I won't go into). So I had already been reviewed for a GA. Then I had PPROM at 33 weeks, was admitted, & because of placental problems we were going to have a c/sec in a few days unless I went into labour first, which I did that night. I rang a friend who is an anaesthetist for extra support. He told me that a GA or an epi for a caesar is 6 of one, half a dozen of another, and for me a GA might even be better because my normal BP is so low. He, & the anaesthetist I had seen at consultation, both said that an epidural is NOT safer for the mother, which is what my OB had said.
    Another factor...because my dd was prem, I knew she would be going straight to NICU and there was no question of cuddles etc. whilst I was in theatre. Also, I knew that she was OK. Had I been worried for her life, I might have chosen an epidural to make sure I saw her alive.
    My OB tried again to talk me out of the GA but I was very happy with it. You are awake until the last possible moment in theatre. When I woke up in recovery it was about an hour later (3:30 am).
    I never used the PCA once I was out of recovery. I woke up again at 9:30 when my OB came in to see me. I told him how great I felt. I took Endone from that point for pain relief. (With my first I had the PCA for a while. I think the Endone is more effective.) I was up and in the shower at midday, catheter out, PCA gone, up in the NICU shortly after.
    Since then I've talked to several mums who have more than one c/sec. Most cannot believe that I was "allowed" to have a GA, and said that they would have liked one but their doctor said no! I do know that it wouldn't be everyone's choice.
    Also, it's worth finding out how they will close the incision. With my first I had staples, with my 2nd a continuous suture. so much more comfortable! I asked a nurse friend if I was wrong to think that made a difference & she said it really does help.
    So the things that made a difference for me: a GA, taking Endone at the charted times (along with Nurofen and panadol) even when I didn't feel like I needed it, and having the continuous suture. I stayed a week because of access to the NICU, but I felt good enough to go home after 2 days!
    I also healed much better. With the first I had hypertrophic scarring and had to see a dermatologist after 6 months. This time, no problems at all with the scar.
    Having said all that, you cannot predict surgical results and you can have a disappointing outcome in spite of everything you plan. I do think it's worth trying to control every factor that you can, though.
    Most important factor: a great OB who is a very skilled surgeon! I asked around (I know a lot of doctors) before settling on mine.

I wrote the reply above but I am not greeneyes! I am on a public computer, maybe something happened?

castle The surgeon that done my first section will be the same this time too. I don't get a choice really.

Wow you had an ordeal!

I was awake for my whole op and felt cold too I remember that. The thing that annoyed the most was not being able to move my toes, oh that annoyed me, ths is after the op when taken into the recovery room. They were going to do a blood transufusion with me because I bleed so bad. But myn wasn't a normal c-section they had to remove my whole right ovary as well with a huge dermoid cyst hanging off it, so it was adouble whammy operation, so maybe that is why I felt so much pain. So hopefully it wont be so bad this time. I was in recovery for about 2 or 3 hours just bleeding heavily. They finally got it controlled though and I left 2 days later!