thread: stay in hospital

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Add aussienic on Facebook

    Feb 2005
    Boyne Island
    6,327

    I stayed 4 days the last 2 times.. I felt well enough to go on day 2 but bubs were in SCN so I stayed cus they did...

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Jun 2008
    946

    They recommend 5 days, but when I had DS nearly 6yrs back, I transfered to a birthing unit the next morning and I wasnt happy there so I went home the day after that. (2 days in hosp care). I was much happier at home, but had DH home full time to help first 2 weeks and I didnt feel too sore.
    They seemed to think i was fine but let me know i could stay longer, I guess it depends on how well your doing physically and emotionally.
    I would guess 3-4 days is good for most woman.

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Jul 2008
    central coast nsw
    66

    i stayed 3 days for all 3 of my ceasars i was going to stay 5 days with dd but by day 3 when they asked when do you want to go home i said now loli missed my boys to much to stay longer but i felt great out shopping the day after i came home ( left hospital at 5:30) still with staples in

  4. #4
    Registered User

    Feb 2008
    on a journey called life, finding our way home
    629

    I stayed 5 days with both my boys but could have gone home after 3, they had Jaundice so had to be on the special beds for that long.
    I thing it is important that you have the support at home if you are wanting to go home, someone who is going to be there full time and who will help with anything that may come up. It is major surgery I think and you are not allowed to do much for a little while.

  5. #5
    Registered User

    May 2008
    NSW Australia
    27

    With my son i had him 230am saturday morning and home first thing monday morning...but with my daughter i stayed a few extra days to recover a bit more before coming home as it is a bit harder when you have another child. I had her on tuesday arvo and came home friday morning. The longer stay helped a bit but not much still needed help when i got home as you need to be more active when you get home especially with a toddler running around. So i think if you are feeling good 3 days will be plenty of hospital time

  6. #6
    Registered User

    Sep 2008
    5

    thanxs for all the reply.
    but if i am booked for 3 days and i am admitted on a wed, would that allow me to be discharge on a fri or a sat ? As that would make a different who drives me home from the hospital.
    I keep forgetting to ask the Dr. ( but slightly shy to ask that question ).

  7. #7
    Registered User

    Feb 2004
    Melbourne
    11,171

    The day you have your baby is considered day 0 so Saturday would be day 3.

    Generally what happens is you have the bed for five days, but if you like you can go on an early discharge program which means you will have midwives visit you at home each day until five days after the birth. You are not technically discharged from the hospital until the five days is up, so if anything goes wrong you can go straight back in. To be discharged early both you & bub must meet whatever criteria the hospital has, so if bub is not ready to go home but you are bub will have stay.

  8. #8
    Registered User

    Jan 2008
    3,305

    The day you have your baby is considered day 0 so Saturday would be day 3.
    i was told by midwife in my last c section that if bubs is born in morning of that day its day 0 if bubs is born in afternoon its day 1.

    I stayed 6 days for all 3 c sections altho i had other problems that needed monitoring.
    You can go home when they are confident you can be mobile. the next day they get you up and walking and they like you to have done a poo before leaving hospital 3 days should be fine. PLus they have early discharge programs!!

  9. #9
    Registered User

    Jun 2008
    946

    I think it depends what time of day your admitted.

  10. #10
    Registered User

    Feb 2004
    Melbourne
    11,171

    I dn't think it makes a difference Salsa. My DS was born at 1.27am & my DD was born at 12.06pm and both times the day they were born was day 0 and we stayed for three days after that.