thread: steroid injections before C/S?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Oct 2007
    Brissy
    2,208

    Thanks for your replies!

    spooky - yeah I knew it was pretty standard for premmie bubs, but this hospy is doing it for all C/S! (my friend will be at term when she has hers)

    squidipa - yeah apparently after them bringing this in there has been a 30% decrease in bubs needing to go to NICU!

    Sarah H - so I guess its not standard procedure then? wonder how many other hospitals are doing it??

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Oct 2006
    229

    I was scheduled for an ECS at 38 weeks (but went into labour before date) for the second, but steroids were not part of the plan. The second was at Freemasons early this year, so if they have changed their procedure for full term CS then it is only in the last 6 months or so.

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Jan 2008
    3,305


    squidipa - yeah apparently after them bringing this in there has been a 30% decrease in bubs needing to go to NICU
    yep i can so clearly see why in birth the fluid is pushed out of the lungs during the squeeze but in c/s it can not. I wish i had the injection cause it was slightly concerning and worrying and i had to wait a small period of time to really get up close with bub i had a cuddle in theater but his snuffle sounds were scary and they took him to nciu.

  4. #4
    Registered User

    Mar 2007
    on cloud 9.....
    2,105

    I had Bella at Caboolture hosp at 38 weeks and had 2 days of steriod injections. They did mention that they were just trialing it for babies of planned cs's 38 weeks or earlier.

  5. #5
    Registered User

    Dec 2006
    Gippsland Vic
    1,686

    My doc says if we go with a planned CS he will only do it 1 week before due date for the above reasons, so many babies having to go to NICU.. he would prefer I went into labour so we know bubs is ready!!!! So I guess it makes sense that hospital will start to do it rountinely as dates can be out a bit etc.