Ours was an emergency too with a very sick bub that went to NICU without me being able to hold him.

I was well medicated and not actually aware of the time. My anesthetist just kept asking how i was feeling and topping up various drugs. My OB chatted to me, so did the nurses. DH was with me for some of the time until i sent him off to be with DS.

I seriously wasnt worried about myself as my heart was with my baby.

If you tell the anesthetist how you are feeling going into the procedure and keep then aware of your anxiety etc they will look after you. I felt that they were more than happy to keep dosing me up with a ****tail of drugs. Very attentive to my needs. I didnt once ask for more pain or sedation - they just kept offering or dosing me up.

I was terrified of having an epidural and that was a very smooth and effective thing in the end. Its funny what preoccupies us before hand that doesnt really matter at the time.

Good luck.

Rachel