Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What type of pain relief did you have after your c-section?

Question What type of pain relief did you have after your c-section?

Hi girls,

I'm just doing my research for my upcoming c-section and I was wondering what type of pain relief you had afterwards?

Did you request anything inparticular? Did staff just recommend a certain type of pain relief? I've heard different things, that some women only need panadeine afterwards, whereas others had morphine....

I'll be requesting pain relief but i'd rather avoid having morphine if i can...

Thanks!

Hi Keira

My first c/s was emergency and i had the voltaren and panadeine and then in the evening i had some morphine - big mistake for me - kept me awak and i was hallucinating - not badly but enough that i really didn't like it. Lived on panadeine for a few weeks after that. No 2 was an elective and i had the volatren againa and just a few panadeines then went onto panadol for a few days and that was it - totally different to #1 and definately didn't want or need morphine. This is only my experience though. Just see how you feel at the time and ask for what you need.
    Take care and good luck
    Julie x
    Last edited by PlonkeeMumma; October 20th, 2007 at 10:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Hi,

I had a planned c/s (breech bubba) and for the first night I had a morphine drip. After that, for the 5 days in the hospital I had voltarin and panadol. When I left the hospital I had a bit of panadol, but mostly wasn't in any pain and never remembered to take it anyway.

I feel I had a very good c/s experience with little to no pain at all!
    Hope you have the same

Mel

i had an emergency c-section, and had panadol, neurofen and tramadol - was still in a bit of pain some times when i came home, so asked to be discharged with the tramadol, but only needed it for another 1-2 days

Hey Keira, I had whatver they gave me Im not sure what it was, the first 2 days it was some 8 hour long lasting strong stuff plus voltarin- cant remember but usually it will be a panadeine forte type tablet after a few days but I cant have codeine so I had something else. The nurses were asking me every 4 hours of so if I wanted pain relief and I remember at one stage I just said - you know what I dont care if I need it or not, if Im due for it give it to me becauseI want to be up and about as much as I can and want to do as much as I can pain free and if that means taking pain relief regularly then so be it. This is from someone who hesitates to take panadol at the best of times, but I just figured that I didnt want pain to stop me from focusing on breastfeeding, bonding and spending time with Izzy, so I would take whatever the gave me til I left hospital. By the time I got home after 5 days I just took panadol when I needed it which was roughly 2 times a day for a week or so and then after that when I needed it.
    HtH!

My first c/s I had something in a drip :/ I can't remember now but I only used it a few times. It was self administering. For my 2nd c/s I only had panadol. I can't take panadeine as it makes me cry

I did get a a very sore back and had a anal suppository and wow that was one good drug.. I put it off for ages but in the end the pain was just to bad but it worked and if need be I will get one again..

I had a drip set up (self administered) for my first C wich was emergency and had a general so really didn't notice anything that went on around me for a few hours. After the first night the drip was taken out and they offerend me a suppository (reluctantly I agreed) Ohhhh wow that was awsome no side effects no drowsyness no pain nothing! I had it twice I think they lasted a good 8hours.

Second was elective again had the self administered drip with (I think) morphine for the first night then I think it was just panadol or panadine forte which I really tried to stay away from cause they made me feel a bit queezy. Normal panadol was strong enough after that. Also if you get your own panadol for home get the new panadol extends they actually last 8hrs infact I think I'll take some with me to hospy this time round
    Just go with the flow, if you have to have the morphine it should only be for a short time, but if they offer you the suppository take it!

Thanks for all the great tips girls!

I feel a bit more confident about it all now

So with the suppository, is that to make it easier for a #2 or is it actually pain relief? Sorry dumb question i know!

LOL sorry should have been more clear yeah it's for pain relief only not for no2's. It seemed to target the abdominal area I guess cause it's close to it IYKWIM? I wish I knew what it was called but it's worth keeping in mind.

It is to help with pain relief and so not a dumb question

I had never heard of them before then and they really work

i had tramadol and another drug i dont remember. They did crap all. I was told I couldnt have morphine as i was breastfeeding?

I had a ****tail of voltaren, tramadol and endone....all good stuff.
    I had no pain by the time of discharge but they always left drugs for me and who was I to say no lol
    Bec

I found some info on google they call them.. Voltarol suppositories or Rrectal analgesic.

I had a self administered intravenous morphine for 24 hours then endone and voltaren which was really effective. Nurofen plus at home is an option to combine the anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects (more codeine than panadeine, less than panadeine forte). The anti-inflammatory is really important to take to keep the pain under control (voltaren, nurofen etc)

i think it was called oxyconcin that i had.

I was in ENORMOUS amount of pain for the first week. No pain relief helped at all

wow i must have been lucky I had panadol every 6 hours and 3 nurofen a day only cause the nurses gave them to me, and I had to walk a long way to SC nursery to see Jack I continued with the nurofen till we got home as we had to go from townsville to moura (10hr + drive)

I had morphine (very very very ichy) then voltaren. I wanted more cos i was in a bit more pain than the last one but the OB would forget to write it up and the nurses would have to chase him down to come and sign off on it so in the end I gave up and went home. I had a real bad time with wind pain too. Dunno how to combate that.

Hmm... Depends on what is happening after the baby is born. In my case, my DS needed an operation immediatley after birth. He was in NICU for 16 days and was born via emergency c/s. I was going to be induced at 37wks, but he decided to come even earlier at 36.2wks.

So in my situation he was on a different floor in the hospital, and without pain relief I would have not seen him. My only concern was for my baby and I insisted on getting up and going to him within 11 hours, the time you are expected to wait post (spinal) c/s. In all honesty I never considered the way I felt, I did not sleep or sit still for those first 16 days, I just did what I needed to do and I had recovered by the time it got to sink in really.

How many days do you think you will be in the hospital?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast