Thread: Childcare rebate Question

Default Childcare rebate Question

I am really confused.

I called FAO today to advise that I stopped working last week so that I don't get overpaid the childcare rebate (the one refunded qtrly)

I gave my amended income and as DH is now on a higher income adjusted his as well to reflect what he will be getting paid. The lady gave me the % that I will be able to claim for childcare. It went down, which I expected..

But here is the bit I am confused about. When I clarified that she had the details that I was no longer working, she told me that I am no longer entitled to the childcare benefit. When I questioned this (as I have received in the past when not working) she then gave me a % lower than what she gave me originally. Why has this figure changed just cause I am not working?

I am not saying the operator was wrong, but she didn't explain to me why it changed. When I put the same details on the online estimator (and I get it is just an estimator), it gave me the original % I was given..

I am so lost..

thanks

BG will be the best to answer this... but I didn't think not working affected your % - other than if the income changes. I thought not working only affected you CCR - so the 50% rebate - as parents have to be either working/studying to qualify for that.

I knew the CCR was affected, that's why I called today, especially coming up to end of qtr.. But the director at our CC said the same thing.. But there may be a logical answer..

The only other thing I can think of is that you won't be elligable for as many hours of CCB as you were when working - if not working (or other special circumstances) you only receive 24 hours of care where as when working you get 50 hours - so generally 4 full days if your centre charges a 12 hour day.

Thanks.. They only go 2 days a week, so fit into the 24 hrs (were going 3 when I was working). But I don't want to give up their places as I am going to be studying next year..

i'm guessing she's just fudged the rebate and benefit terms hun - you'll still be eligible for 24 hours of discounted care, just not the quarterly rebate

I am really thankful that you have contributed to so many topics BG so that I knew what I was entitled to and not (in simple language).

It turns out that she hadn't changed my status to not working (so I was still entitled to the quarterly rebate in the system) even after I advised numerous times that I am not working, and not doing any of the other things that would make me entitled to it..

So thankfully I received 2 letters dated a day apart with different benefit amounts, which prompted me to call.. And got it all sorted..

glad it's sorted hun