Thread: Mercury thermometer or digital? Interesting...

Question Mercury thermometer or digital? Interesting...

I've just starting seeing a naturopath (2nd try, different therapist) and she wants me to check my BBT 3 days in a row, using a mercury thermometer (armpit, have to leave it there for 10 mins immediately on waking, not get out of bed, the usual stuff).
    She says that they are more accurate as the digital ones take the reading too quickly... I'm interested to know if anyone else has tried this/heard of this?

I've been temping with a digital BBT thermometer, and my temps are all over the place (which may be due to my issues with my cycle, not the thermometer)...

It would be SUCH a pain to have to wait 10 mins every day though to temp... haven't done the requested 3 temps yet, will probably start tomorrow, and set my alarm 10 mins earlier than normal!!

we have tried 3 thermometers, just to take DS's temp, nothing for fertility reasons. We tried the one across the forehead, and once when we most needed it, it stuffed up and wouldn't work properly. so that was given the flick. we found that it took a whole range of temps and was really quite inconsistent. We then tried the one under the armpit that took 60 seconds, but having a screaming baby trying to hold still for that long was not an easy thing.. however, temps were more consistent. We now use an ear one that takes temps quickly and we have found to be very consistent. Hope this helps!!!!

Mrs P, I can understand why your NP said that. Sometimes I think the digital will beep before it's actually finished. But honestly after many many charts I have had little indication that the digital has taken my temp to quickly.

Also, taking your temp for 10 mins may give your BBT a chance to rise to an unreliable level. TBH I think the faster your temp is taken after you wake, the better!!

Maybe you could do both and see which is more accurate when put into a chart?

Good luck

Yes I think I will try taking it with both, and then I can show them to her and see what she says...
    She came highly recommended but to be honest I'm really just about over it all at the moment so I think if nothing happens in the next few months then I'll have to revert to traditional medicine (which for me won't 'fix' the problem but will hopefully force me to O so we can TTC).

I think she might be against the digitals because SOME of them are inaccurate and she wants to make sure she gets accurate readings from you. Whilst TTC my DS I used a digital (not a basal just a standard one) thermometer under my tongue. Apparently the tongue is much more accurate than the armpit. The readings I got showed a definite ovulation pattern each month so obviously the thermometer was a good one and could pick up the slight changes from day to day. However I was interested to read your original post, because I am looking to chart again as we will be ttc #2 soon. DH doesn't want me to chart as he reckons it worked quick enough last time (but I think that was because I was charting and opk'ing) and he can't stand the beeping noise! He works evenings (3- 11pm) and I work days so I get up much earlier than he does, and the thermometer would sit and beep for 3 mins before giving the final long beep to say it was done. The regular short beeping in the middle was good as you knew if it stopped beeping then you have got it in the wrong spot and you need to move it. But that meant beeping regularly for 3 mins then a long beep at the end. I used to try and muffle it into my pillow, but he still woke up to it even though he never woke up to my radio alarm!

So I was thinking about a mercury one, but worried about the accuracy. Sounds like it's not a problem though I'd hae to lay there a bit longer. Is it easy to measure to decimal points with the mercuries?

hi just wanted to add my two cents worth!
    this is my first cycle temping, so i went to buy a BBT digital thermometer from chemist. as i was paying for it, the saleslady commented that her FS had actually recommended an ear thermometer when she was TTC. i double checked with my bestie, who also said her FS said the same. apparently they are more sensitive.
    lol about beeping annoying DH, mine also works night shift and finds the beep a pain, mine only beeps once tho

Really Cate? I have read that the ears thomometers are a deffinate no-no!
    I suppose as long as you get a chart that shows O clearly it doesn't matter.

yeah thats what i read too, but i figured since i already had one i'd give it a go and if it didn't seem to be working i'd get a BBT one after a couple of months. so far it seems to have indicated O but only been one cycle so i'll wait and see. my temps have been high but could just be me! seems that every 'health professional' has a different opinon anyway!
    Last edited by cateblu; December 31st, 2007 at 12:35 PM.

I recently bought a digi thermometer and actually read the instructions (!) which advised the thermometer needed to be in place for four minutes before switching on to read. I did this and noticed a huge difference in the readings I got (ie normal body temp versus you have a fever)! I'm pretty sure this would affect your readings if you're using it for BBT.

Good suggestion about the 4 minutes - I am yet to try the mercury one (lazy!) but when i do I think I'll put the digi one in my mouth and the mercury one in my armpit for 10 mins then read both and compare!