Thread: childcare availability? what if we can't get the whole week?

Default childcare availability? what if we can't get the whole week?

OK, so Pip's now 8.5 months. I put myself on the waiting list when I was 4 months pregnant with him, phoned up yesterday and found they forgot to move me across to the 2008 book. But luckily, there's a place available NOW for him, 3 days a week. *sighs*

So it looks like he'll be going to one childcare for 3 days a week, starting next week. I've been in tears since finding out, as I didn't want him to start childcare until March when I return to work - now is just too soon. I don't know if I'm crying cause it means I'm returning to work, or because I can't imagine a whole day at home here without him.

So we will be 3 days in the council childcare ... and then when I return to work, the other 2 days in another centre. Not sure if we should look at family daycare or ABC here ... *sighs*

Hey Kazbah,

personally, i would suggest that if you have him in a council day care for 3 days i'd pop him into family day care for the others, until places come up to have him at the one carer all week - his routines will be wildly mixed up if he has to get used to routine at home and two different places! maybe something will come up before you go back to work? Or maybe you could negotiate to do 3 days a week till it does?
    Good luck with it! In my area the waiting list is about 1200 kids - so if you get 3 days you are damn lucky!!

Kaz, I'm sure it will be good for him, mummy guilt is shocking though. DS hung on to me for grim death this morning when dropping him off, made me feel SoOOOOooo bad... but I was telling myself on the way to work "I have to work to keep a roof over his head... " repeatedly.... Hope all goes well!!!

It just depends on the centres and the FDC carers.
    ABC gets a bad rap but a lot of the issue is their management not necessarily the carers (though obviously it affects them), its all very individual depending on the centre.
    Go and have a look at one and take DS with you, he is old enough that you should at least be able to get an idea of whether he dislikes the place.
    We have not used FDC before but I am seriously looking at it if DS needs to go for more than the 3 days a week that he in in creche presently.

Kaz, also once you start, you become an "Existing family" so get first dibs on any spots that come up. So you might get the extra 2 days very soon.

Also, the thought of leaving them the first few times is usually worse than the reality. It is normal to feel what you are feeling -I've been there twice, it wasn't any easier with the second child. But both boys settled in well and after the first couple of days I felt much better about it. For the first day, book yourself in for coffee with a friend and a massage or something - it will really help to be pampered and not alone. GL hun and big hugs.

Rayray - I've been to the ABC, and one of the little girls from our MG is going there too, but they only have spots avaible mon/tues/wed and the council has wed/thurs/fri.

Apparently the council centre didn't have any spots available for the older babies to move up to the toddlers last year, so who knows?

I will try the FDC today and see what they say, I'm thinking the FDC may be more flexible than the ABC for the monday/tuesday in terms of routine. *sighs* I have no routine - I let him choose his routine in terms of time - I just do stuff like "2 hour sleep" then play and food etc. *sighs*

Kaz, the CC centres don't usually have routines in the nursery rooms, only for the toddlers (From 15months or whenever there's room for them to move up). SO don't worry too much about that. Also, availability for moving up to toddlers seems to come in waves - they have a spell where it is tight, then it usually eases. So hopefully that won't be an issue by the time you need it.

I think the best way to choose is to go to each centre, meet the FDC carer you would have and talk to them, ask questions, watch them with the other kids. You usually get a pretty good feeling for what will work for you and your child. GL.