Thread: I feel so sick and anxious......

Default I feel so sick and anxious......

.... at the thought of putting little one into day care.

I am *probably* going to return to work 3 days per week in June/July next year - she'll be 14/15 months old. I am so scared that she'll hate it and being so little, she won't be able to communicate that to me. It makes me feel sick to my core.

How do you all cope with putting your babies into child care?

Sue x

when DS was little I felt the same about working and childcare but I had to work at the time...I found a really good family day care that we both just loved is family daycare an option for you ?

Yeah, i am actually thinking of that too! Just trying to find some in the area that I work, not sure where to start looking to be honest!

Thanks
    Sue x

it was a while ago now and we do like in different state but there was just a number i found in the phone book and that put you in touch with people in your area. I hope you find some one nice to look after your beautiful DD

Hun, that mother guilt is a killer isn't it! I'm the same, worrying about things that haven't happened yet!!

The first thing that springs to mind is that by 13 months babies are well able to communicate. You will know if your little one isn't enjoying day care or anything else for the matter! The other thing is that some babies love a day care environment with lots to do and heaps of friends to play with. Not all do, but your DD well might be one that does and then you'll have worried for nothing (a feeling I know well too ). And back to point 1, if she doesn't like it, you will know and be able to decide what to do next (and there will be options).

Trust me, I know this is easier said than done, but try and enjoy now, and not worry too much about the future. It will work out hun

Childcare isn't for me BUT if I had to I think Id go the family daycare. I have heard great things about it More a family atmosphere

I'd recommend family day care too. Our local council organises ours- check out the council website for where you will be working.

Thanks everyone. I hate to think about things that haven't even come up yet but I have been looking into the child care thing and some places have a year + waiting!! Crazy!

Anyway, I think I'm definitely going to look more into the family day care thing.
    Thanks so much for that.
    Sue x

I had to put DD in at 17 months old after we moved to a new town 600km from family and DH got posted interstate for 4 months at the same time. She had never had to go before as we'd managed between us and I so wanted her to go to family day care. Sadly it wasn't an available option for us. So I had to find a childcare centre. When you find one you're happy with you will know that she'll be fine.

My DS was 3 when he started and i felt exactly the same lol

But after awhile he loved it

I could've written your exact post 9 months ago hon. I spent months and months dreading the time when I would have to return to work and have to put DS into childcare. I even started buying lotto tickets as that is they only way we would be able to afford for me to be SAHM long-term. Anyway, fast forward to when DS was 8 or 9 months and I started visiting the local centres that I was on lists for. My mind changed completely when I visited the first centre (which is where he is no), all of a sudden I saw how good it could be for him, all the new things he would be able to experience/do that we can't do at home. It was at that point that I started to feel better about it.

He started just over a month a go (when he turned 1) and is only going one day a week (that is all we can get right now). I'm really happy with the center and he's getting to play in the sand pit, do painting eat dirt and form relationships with other people. I won't lie, the transition has been difficult, but I love that he is learning new things and new tricks.

If you can't shake the worry and angst (which I couldn't) then I would really recommend going and having a look. It will put your mind at ease and help you to get more comfortable with it, without the worry.

It's a really difficult transition.
    We started DS at a similar age first time round and it was a bit of a disaster actually. Luckily we had the flexibility to pull him out. We started again at a different place at 2 and he loves it. You never know how it's going to go till you do it - some kids that age might be fine, others like my DS just aren't ready. I would recommend looking into FDC and any other options you may have, just so you have something up your sleeve just in case. And before you start, go with her to the centre for a few hours at a time at least a few times so you can get a feel for the place and the carers and she can explore and get to know the place with her mummy near by.

Anyway, you have lots of time so while forward planning is always good, try to relax and just enjoy this time you have together. It'll go so fast as it is.

As an aside, we did baby signing with DS and he could communicate quite well with us at that age even though he couldn't talk. Makes everything much easier.

I had a look round a child care centre the other day. Didn't like it. It smelled of urine the minute I walked in the door. Hmmm.......

Anyway, got another one to look at on monday which is right across the road from my work (which would be awesome) and a few of my work colleagues have their kids there too and rate it highly.

But am still looking into the family day care thing. I really want somewhere near my work so that I can still breast feed at lunch times.

Thanks for your input everyone. I am enjoying my time with missy but am very aware of how quickly time is flying!!

Sue xxx

HI there - I started back at work just before DD was 12 months old. I have been lucky in the fact that I have only had to go back 3 days a week. We have found an awesome CC centre that DD now absolutely loves! In fact she literally pushes me out the door when I drop her off

We had a bit of a difficult transition at first as DD kept getting sick. Unfortuntately (and it was not the CC centre's fault) our GP did not pick up on an ear infection that festered for 6 weeks and developed into mastoiditis. So the first 6 weeks that I was back at work my DH and I were having to juggle taking time off with a very sick little girl. Obviously during this time on the days that she was well enough to go - she was not happy about going. I think she had that underlying pain that we weren't picking up on.

Anyhow, fast forward to after she was diagnosed and everything was fixed up, all of a sudden she was loving it. They do things there that I don't do with DD at home - normally very messy things! They do a lot of educational things with her also. I have noticed that her confidence has grown and her social skills have also improved a lot. I think it really is about finding the right place - we really do love where we have DD and I can go to work and not worry that she is sad.

If I had my time to do again, I would start her a day or two a week prior to me starting back at work. That would help the transition and also they do get sick with little things as all of a sudden they are exposed to more bugs.

Alternatively FDC is a good option to keep the risk of infection down. Personally I am very happy with the decision that we have made and know it is the right one for all of us.

Good luck.
    Janie and Jasmine xxx