Thread: One day a week or not at all?

bloomsbury Guest

Default One day a week or not at all?

Hello, I've recently joined this forum so forgive me if this is not the right place to post a question.
    My son is 6 months old and has been going to daycare for about a month now (two days a week). I am supposed to go back to work next week but now I've been having second thoughts. He is not adjusting well in daycare because of high staff turnaround so he's being cared by different people all the time. He doesn't want to drink his milk but the staff seemed to think that's okay because he is eating lots of other food. Long story short, I am thinking about postponing going back to work until my son turns one year.
    From your experience, do you think I still need to send him to daycare (can be this centre or a different one) for one day a week? Probably it will make him more familiar with the surroundings and the kids.
    Will sending him there one day a week help to overcome separation anxiety?
    Should I wait until about a month before I go back to work?
    Thank you for sharing your experience

Might be a good idea to keep him there one day a week, wont be such a shock to him when he goes in full time?

If it were me, I'd be keeping him in care, but perhaps adjusting the care arrangement a little. Perhaps you could reduce the hours so he's only going for a morning or an afternoon session...the shorter time will help him understand that mummy's coming back soon. Or withdraw him and then try again in a few weeks time. Also, you might like to shop for a more stable child care centre, one where the carers will be there consistently. He could be perfectly happy in a different environment. I'm a big fan of family day care so I'd urge you to consider this as a possibility as well. Good luck with your decision, and let us know how you get on.

morgan78 Guest

Maybe look into family daycare as you would have the same carer all the time and mainly the same small group of children- this is my understanding of how it works i could be wrong

I guess it depends on how important it is for you to return to work. If it's doable for you to take another couple of months so that you can find somewhere that he will be happier then I would be inclined to follow that path.
    He will be spending a substantial part of his time in this place so it's important that he's happy.

Hi my daughter only goes to child care once a week and so far no problems with separation anxiety(she is 18months and started childcare at 5 months.)

I also find family daycare great, my daughter knows her carer so well now and with only a small number of children (max of 4) she gets lots of attention. On the downside when her carer goes on holidays or is sick I have to make other arrangments. Good luck

I have worked in both centres and Family Day Care, and would highly reccomend Family Day Care for little bubs. He will get one on one, and have the same carer every day he is at care. Her house will become very familar to him, as will the other kids ( there will only be 5 kids!) I would leave centre care till bubs is older and can handle it better... Good luck with your choice hon...

bloomsbury Guest

Thank you for the quick responses. I am so in two minds now. Back to work or postpone, daycare or not, child care or family day care ?????
    I was so upset last week they promised to call if he didn't take his milk yet they didn't, because he has eaten a lot they said. But milk is different from solid?
    You guys right, I think I need to find other alternatives. Family daycare sounds great. What happen if all the kids cry at the same time while there is only one carer? Sorry for asking, pretty new to this stuff and while i only care for one baby there are few occasions when i'm still confused if he cries

It's very hard & you can only do what you feel is right for you. I just started working 2days a week & Charlie still hasn't adjusted to Daycare. He goes on Mon & Fri, I find the break between is what makes it worse & speaking to some workers they believe the less they are there the worse they are IYKWIM. One day a week will prob be just as hard as there is such a big break between going again.
    Charlie does not drink his milk either, but at his age I am not stressing as he eats great & drinks lots of water, he has plenty of cheese & yoghurt etc. He also wakes at night one, so he's getting 2 bottles a day. Unfortunatly there is not much you can do if bubs wont drink. Charlie also does not sleep well at all, but plays happily. In my experience the age doesn't make much difference, unless they are walking & talking & can communicate. Charlie went half days around 5months & never fussed. A lot of kids get clingy around 9months. He screams each time I drop him off & it breaks my heart...but unfortuntely we need the extra money.
    I hope it all works out, it's very hard. Charlie hung off my leg at Playgroup today I believe due to going to Childcare yesterday. But we just have to settle him into it as I need to work.

Milk is definitely more important to him than solids in the first 12 months, so they should be trying other ways for him to drink his milk.
    As they have a large turnover of staff, I too would be inclined to look into family day care. Get into contact with the family day care in your area, and ask them heaps of questions. You should be able to go and meet the lady/ladies in your area before agreeing to take him there.
    I send my DD to daycare once a week. It used to be 2 days a week, but I've recently dropped it to one. The daycare she goes to though does not have a large turnover of staff, and she gets the same carer each day.

bloomsbury Guest

I agree having the same carer is important for little babies. Erin_25, my son is also clingy since starting day care and his daily schedule has completely gone out of the window.
    Thank you again for all the food of thought. I will do lots of thinking tonight and hope to find the right answer.

RE your FDC question, carers usually have a spread of different ages, it would be rare to find a carer with two very little children as they can only have 4-5 children under the age of 5 (depending on what scheme you're in). They are usually pretty experienced with the kids, just as much or even more so than child care workers (who often don't have any children of their own). I think the chances of your baby being left to cry are higher in a big child care room where there are far more children (all of a similar stage of development) and only a few carers to juggle them all.