Thread: 2 Sick Girls.. HELP!

Unhappy 2 Sick Girls.. HELP!

DD2 was a bit off yesterday after an allergic reaction but today she has a temp of 38 and a runny nose, i've given her some panadol and put her to bed and she's finally sleeping but now DD1 is saying she's COLD but has a temp of 37.8.
    She's warm to touch but keeps trying to put a blanket over herself, then after a while she says HOT and moves it.. does she really know that she's hot or cold or is she just saying it as these are fave words lately?
    SHe's laying on her little couch or on me and sooking the minute i leave the room.

Am thinking about getting DP to pick up some orange juice on his way home, she eats a lot of fruit but am thinking it can't hurt to give her some to keep fluids up, she seems ok drinking, was a bit off her food this morn though.

I might have some OJ aswell to pass through to DD2, she is on pentavite but is still not seemingly well.. poor girl.

How do you handle having everyone sick? Swapping b/w 2 kids, trying to clean etc??? argh!

Darl forget about the cleaning. All you need to do is look after your girls and you can catch up on everything else later. You're going to be tired enough. I would be careful giving them OJ if they haven't eaten much - it can upset belly. Try apple juice, less acidic.
    When both my kiddies were sick I sat on the couch under a blanket and cuddled up to them all day. We had the coffee table full of drinks and snacks so I didn't have keep running in and out and watched DVD's for the day. I kept the panadol up to them and let them sleep as much as they wanted.
    That few nights were hard work. DH slept with one kid and I slept with the other.
    Good luck and I hope everyone is feeling better soon.

Thanks hun, no housework getting done, am trying to get DD1 to sleep on her couch with her monkey and a dvd as DD2 finally went back to sleep.. i need to do the dishes and fold some washing.. if i get the chance.
    I asked DD1 if she wanted a sleep she said YES, grabbed her pillow and laid down, she's faking a snore so i got up and said i'll be back... "NO MUMMY, CUDDLE" how can i ignore that, now she's gone and gotten "monkey" and told him sleep shhhh and tucked him in ... awww love her to bits.
    Got her to eat a tiny bit of spag on toast (funny as she normally wont eat it) but wont touch anything else.. am just giving her ice water for now and keeping the panadol up.

Yep - apple juice or hydralyte

DVDs, panadol, sleep and cuddles - no cleaning, phone calls etc. Hope they feel better soon hun. xxx

I second what liviam said, house work and everything else can wait its not worth the stress also something easy like toasted sandwiches for tea isnt going to hurt just to make it easier on your self. I have only had both kids sick once so far although DD wasnt to bad just whingy and sooky, i just put on some movies for her so she could rest without running around like a mad woman to help her recover quicker. With DS he was happy enough to just sit and play with me and DD on the floor until he was hungry or tired.
    Definately get some OJ just make sure its real OJ as this will work the best. Also some honey and lemon is good i give this to DD in some warm water and it helps to soothe her.
    With the sleep thing if they arnt sleeping well at night i just chucked them in with me, means i didnt get much sleep but at least they were to help them get better

Hope they are feeling better soon and dont pass it one to you

Cleaning can definitely wait hun. Have a dvd day, lots of cuddles, water and I usually make a simple chicken and veg soup that they can have with cheese toasties or something seeing as they usually won't eat much. Hope they are better soon and you don't get it. xox

What you describe with the being hot to touch yet pulling a blanket over her, is actually normal with high fevers. It has to do with the body becoming so hot it shakes, which then tricks the brain into thinking the body is cold... it's why some people say they feel cold when they have a temp of 39.

Hope the girls get better soon.

Yup, that's classic fever. Other half was wearing 4 layers of clothes and cuddling a heater last night, I was doing the same thing with the last cold/flu that came through here a few weeks ago. We all got sick with the last one but took turns, me and the baby got it last.

This time its similar, DD#1 was the one who brought it home (as usual), DD#2 and other half promptly got it, and me and the baby have it but not very bad. I should just disinfect DD#1 as she walks in the door.

Poor kid is not even 6 weeks old and has had one really nasty cold/flu and now getting a different, milder one.

Thanks everyone, am heading into the shops today so will get some OJ and Apple Juice, DD1 ate well this morning and had pizza for tea (well kind of) and her temps were down with constant panadol.

DD2 on the other hand is very very sooky this morn, super runny nose and conjunctivits.. GREAT.. and of course her eye drops were out of date about 2 days ago so now were off to the chemist.. i am hoping it's all just teething as DD1 used to get super gross noses and chest infections when she teether...

My poor girls, hoping for some relief!

Don't be too afraid to drop the panadol a bit, high temps let the body do its work to fix itself.

Thanks Lulu had no panadol today even though she's FERAL but no temp, i was giving 6-7hrs b/w yesterday unless their temps were right back up, at one stage DD2 was 38.6, cool cloth on her head, ice to suck on and panadol did the trick.. she slept ok last night though which was good.

Yeah I second/third (whatever we're up to) everything except the panadol. Not a fan of medicating temperatures here.. just makes things drag on and on. The feeling cold bit I find is when the temperature is on its way up. Once my kids temp is up and steady they don't feel cold any more. Another reason I don't like panadol is cos I find the worst part of a temperature is when it's on its way up.. thats when I feel yuckiest anyway.. so I don't like the temp going up and down every few hours with medication.

DD had a fever of 38.8 last thursday.. we rode it out and it only lasted just under 24 hours. No idea what she was fighting... has had a constant cough the last couple of weeks, but nothing new has developed

Hope your girls feel better quickly.

I tend to just use panadol when they're so incredibly grouchy they're intolerable and clearly in pain. Usually just before bed so they get some sleep. The stuff is incredibly effective.

The net result is panadol in our house invariably expires before we come even close to using it up.

Used something like 3/4 of a bottle when DD#1 had her hideous revolting infected leg though. But then we also went through an alarming quantity of massive bandaids and bandages and soaker (for the bloody mess in her socks every day) too. That was SERIOUSLY gross. I think I deal better with bodily fluids coming from noses than legs ...

Quote Originally Posted by RumpledElf View Post
    I tend to just use panadol when they're so incredibly grouchy they're intolerable and clearly in pain.
    Yeah, I like the way Dr Sears put it "treat the child, not the fever".

Thanks girls, aside from the temp all DD2 did was sook & scream so the panadol was for that issue aswell.. i'm not a fan of using it unless they need it aswell but yesterday was feral.

Now she has conjunctivitis aswell.. ah another day of nothing.. DP wont be impressed.. damn kids.. and ppl think sitting on the couch all day is easy.. never felt so tired in my life.

Yeah it's draining hey. Well your DP will just have to pitch in more!

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Yeah it's draining hey. Well your DP will just have to pitch in more!
    hahahaha yeah right, he's working 7 days a week, leaving at around 6-7am and not getting home til the same time.. chances of some help are little to NONE... best he did was order pizza last night so i did't have to cook..