Thread: Bambino Mio/prefold users please help

? have to consult the road map on my stomach...

Default Bambino Mio/prefold users please help

Hi. Have just started using Bambino Mio and finding that even when I use the loose stool fold with the back part of the nappy opened out they're not catching everything, so it overflows big time into the cover ... DS is 3 months old and bf, so still runny mustard poos... what am I doing wrong? Any folding advice very much welcome!

When Skaja was that age, I just used to fold in half and then in half again and use the degradable liners. I didn't worry about the fancy folding.

sorry to be dumb, but when you say 'in half' which way do you mean?

Lewis's mummy, I'm sorry to say that prefolds just aren't that good at holding newborn poo. Like Nelle always says, two layers of defence is best (i.e. leg elastic) so that's a fitted nappy + a cover. At least the cover is keeping the sloppy mess off his clothes. Have you tried kind of rolling the sides of the prefold up and in towards the centre of the nappy? Or, you could get a few more covers just to keep you going till the slop gets a bit more solid?

i found if i used a cut in half folded terry square it was better for the mess .. the mio prefolds didnt really do much for us until he was older ..

Thanks guys. I've got some more fitteds coming so guess we'll just wait and see how things go... does the poo stay so runny until he starts on solids? or does it start to 'thicken up' before then?

My DS's poo didn't change till he started solids, and now it can still be a bit sloppy at times (not like the BF poos though). He stared pooing much less often around the four month mark (I think?), like every few days or so, so the changing pooey nappies wasn't so constant, it was just every now and again.

Eeww... what a yucko post. I HTH.

Question

So I'm considering using bamboo trifolds with Bambino Mio NB covers but now not so sure. Has anyone had any success with this system or should I be looking at something else?

Didn't really want to have to buy so many fitteds due to expense and drying time in winter (as it can rain a lot down here).

Alimumma, I'm finding the mio covers are doing their job - they do catch any nb poo which happens to leak out the sides so it's not getting on his clothes. They clean pretty easily too, but I do soak them a bit. On the occassions when we've had a leak from the nappy itself, the poo was easy enough to clean off the plasticy part of the cover, but the binding (?) around the leg needed to be soaked. I find the bamboo fitteds seem to soak up more generally - both wees and poos, so maybe the bamboo trifolds will do the same... I've also gotten better at folding out the 'wings' at the back of the mio nappy (a fold included in the brochure which came with the mios), wrapping the corners towards the front to meet with the front of the nappy like a disposable, so that's also meant less escapes. When my liners arrive I'll see whether that helps with containing it too - so far I'm happy with the system although haven't yet been brave enough to use cloth at night... My favourite thing about the mio covers is that they're trim around his legs while others bulk him out - not that he needs help with that, he currently looks like a little buddah

paradise lost Guest

I used to put a terry toweling washcloth in the centre of the unfolded inner and then roll both outer edges (which would be next to the legs once inside the outer wrap) into the centre. This makes 2 sausages of fabric with a trough between them. That helped to catch the poo and stop it running onto the seams of the wrap, and the washcloth made it all a bit more absorbant.

It doesn't always work, but i found rather than soaking each time i could leave the wraps lightly stained and every few weeks i would give them a good soak and wash and then hang them out on a sunny day. The sunlight bleaches them.

HTH