Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Flat nappy discussion

my fav fold for flanny flats was the origami and as she got bigger used another napy folded on top to make it more absorbant used them with prefolds for the first few weeks with NB maz covers worked a treat plus we stole a few from the hospy lol big softies are the ones that are really thick and i loved thm the most

Hi everyone,
    Just after some advice. I have 12 Maz prefolds coming my way for my baby due in Nov. I also have quite a large stash of mcn's to use when he is a tad bigger.
    Will 12 prefolds do for the newborn stage and I currently have 2 bummis covers. How many covers should I aim to have as well? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam&Oliver View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Just after some advice. I have 12 Maz prefolds coming my way for my baby due in Nov. I also have quite a large stash of mcn's to use when he is a tad bigger.
    Will 12 prefolds do for the newborn stage and I currently have 2 bummis covers. How many covers should I aim to have as well? Thanks.
    Wow. I coulda written that myself! *eagerly awaits reply*

2 covers are not enough. Aim for two that you can alternate throughout the day and 2 that are in the wash (if you wash every day). Newborns also have a sneaky habit of doing very runny explosive poos (so called poo-splosions), so you need to allow for a cover to get soiled every now and then (or more, depending on the baby).

12 prefolds: Again, depending on how often you are planning to wash. In theory you need 6-8 a day. One lot in use, one in the wash, so 12-18 nappies). In reality, I rarely used more than 6 a day. But I still think you might be cutting it a little fine. If you leave your washing a little late cause you're not ultra organised that day (ie. sleep deprived, sick bubba etc.) or if your washing gets rained on you might run out. I'd get a few more for backup. Even if that's just the cheap terries from Woolies.

That's just my 2 cents...

i would get at least 6 newborn covers. Also more prefolds, or flat nappies. Prefolds get pretty wet, i was changing them every couple of hours. If bub was having a longer sleep, i would put 2 prefolds in, with a fleece cover.

Thanks for the tips ladies!
    You've reminded me I needed to get some more flanny flats too. DH used all DSs as polish rags when we stopped using them *sigh* boys! At least they're cheap.

hey women!!!
    I'm planning on using terry flats for the first 2 months or so, but am struggling to actually find some to buy!! not too keen on prefolds, just want plain old boring terry squares!
    where can i get them? They were in big W, but went there again today and they are gone completely - not even a space for them. Ive also found some plain white ones in one of the baby shops here...but they were 3x the price as the Big W ones (and for less nappies!!)
    online would work just as well.
    Thanks!!

Target

or you can buy nappy flannel or nappy terry toweling from Spotlight and hem your own.

I used plain old boring flats for dd1. I loved them. They are now almost 8 years and still perfect. Most of mine came from target

Ladies, hit me with your best fold for a newborn, 2.7kgs and a little skinny minny
    I don't think the mcn are going to fit her just yet

I got my Big Softies at Target. There are heaps to buy online, just search it. My favourite is one I hemmed from an old towel, it is super soft and luscious.

Quote Originally Posted by UntoldAngel View Post
    Ladies, hit me with your best fold for a newborn, 2.7kgs and a little skinny minny
    I don't think the mcn are going to fit her just yet
    The triangle is pretty good - fold into a triangle, and then into a triangle again. But I always loved this one. You can tuck the legs in to make a neat little gusset too.

The origami is still my favorite fold for Liam although it can get chunky at the back for a little baby.

I used the origami fold for both my boys and just folded the center over 3 times instead of 2 for small bums

Liam was so little that I used the pinless nappy fold and held it on with a cover. I'm on my phone so can't get a link sorry

I might be relying on some of these flat folds for my newbie when she arrives, as I'm expecting another little one (DD was 2.56 kgs). I have bought some Cheeky Butts, Rumparooz Lil Joeys and Gro Via MCNs that are aimed at premmie-nb sizes though, so maybe I'll get away with it?

I remember the origami and triangle from when my Mum showed me as a kid. Back in the days where most of us were cloth nappied!

So I forgot to take a snappi out with us yesterday for DD's nappies. Asked hubby if he could buy one while he was shopping (I was at the hairdressers) and he came back telling me he couldn't get one anywhere. He may have had a boy look in the shops, but he went to a chemist thinking they would surely have them, only to be told "no one uses flat nappies so there is no need to stock snappis. People use disposables or the modern cloth".. umm, I DO! I find it a lot easier with a little bub

I've lost the snappis in the past and just held a nappy on with a cover. At one stage dd put every snappi in the house in a gap under the television. I couldn't find them for a fortnight

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyLady View Post
    I've lost the snappis in the past and just held a nappy on with a cover. At one stage dd put every snappi in the house in a gap under the television. I couldn't find them for a fortnight
    I would have done that, but the smallest covers I have are Small and they are pretty big on her, I don't think it would do very well at holding the nappy enough itms... Yeah I've found snappis all over the place and wonder how they get there

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617