Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Flat nappy discussion

I didn't use Snappis. They dont work very well with flannel (not much to grip onto) and I was worried that they would work loose on the terry flats especially as my babies got older and more active. I used pins. I never stabbed my babies either

I used flanellette nappies on DS while we were in hospital because they washed them and so I just kept up with the constant changes, they were great for not being so bulky but when I got home I found terry to be alot better esp when dealing with poosplosions. I still use terrys on my DS when we go to the shops (he gets very distracted) and I don't have a problem with the nappy staying up with the snappi, I'm to scared to use pins, they are only back up in my place (and for pinning together my loose clothes )
    I do have a couple of flannies that I have had to use and the snappi done an ok job but the nappies would be wet through real quick.

Covers: I have Bummis Super Brights, Mother Ease Rikkis and Thirsties and I prefer the Thirsties, the Bummis come second for me. Many people love the ME Rikkis, but I don't. They seem to run quite large, too, so don't upsize too much.
    I also have Wool Covers (Disana) for night time and love them. And a few home made ones for day time just cause they're cute. Am planning to either make or get my MIL to make some wool longies for winter.

Snappis: I love them with Terry flats and fitted Terries like Mandy Macs. I do now think that they kinda wreck bamboo terry, though. Not sure whether pins would do the same. I think 3-4 snappis will be enough for you initially. You only need a couple but they have a habit of disappearing temporarily so having 1 or 2 spares is a good idea. I never used pins as they seem more time consuming.

Flats: I used to rave about bamboo terry for the softness and absorbancy. I am now more dubious as I find they just don't last. Not sure whether it is just the quality of the ones I have or whether this problem exists across the board. I found they got very thin very quickly and develop little holes. I've only used them part time for about 6-7 months and I although I didn't expect them to last through multiple children, 6-7 months is not enough in my opinion, especially when considering the price. My cheap BigW cotton terries are still going great guns at a fraction of the cost. So i think if I did it all over again, I would buy good quality cotton terry instead.

will be using prefolds with this bub, and thirsties, I like the gussets on them, not sure that any other covers have them, and those newborn poops certainly need the extra help lol

Bummis Super Brites an mother ease rikkis have gussets, too. but the thirsties have a nice stretch to them, so i like them best.
    The classic Bummis has no gussets but it has a really good fit (at least on my bub) so prevented Poo-splosions just as well as the gusseted covers and it is really cheap.
    If you're after poo-tainment, I'd recommend either fitted nappies or flats with a really good fold and rolled up back and legs over the prefolds. But unless you have a once-a-week-pooer like my DD was, you should be fine with the prefolds.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine_sieben View Post
    Bummis Super Brites an mother ease rikkis have gussets, too. but the thirsties have a nice stretch to them, so i like them best.
    The classic Bummis has no gussets but it has a really good fit (at least on my bub) so prevented Poo-splosions just as well as the gusseted covers and it is really cheap.
    If you're after poo-tainment, I'd recommend either fitted nappies or flats with a really good fold and rolled up back and legs over the prefolds. But unless you have a once-a-week-pooer like my DD was, you should be fine with the prefolds.
    I never did the prefolds with my last, but did terrys with my first two, so will be interesting to see the difference this time around.
    I am trying hard not to get caught up in the whole MCN hype again, as I really didnt see the big hype last time, yes they are cute, but I am thinking the prefolds will work just as well

Good on you Nuddle, you are stronger than I am
    You are of course so right, flats or prefolds work just as well. With a slightly older bub, I do prefer only putting on one layer (pockets) as it is hard enough fighting a wriggly 10 month old. But to be honest, putting the cover on seperately does not take that much extra time once you have a bit of practice. DH often loses the plot, though when there are no pockets left and he has to put a fitted and a cover on (he''d never even attempt flats), then the clothes over the top. But he doesn't change as many nappies as I do. And I have to admit that DS is extremely wriggly atm.

yeah, well mcn's never worked that well for me last time, they did for a short time, but not worth the outlay I found... lets see how long I last before I cave and try again lol

Default I am so thrilled to find this thread!

Wow, this is answer to my all of my ponderings of late!
    I am an absolute MCN Queen. I have owned, or still do in some cases, almost every brand of Australian (and other ) MCN that exists to date! lol. Possibly excepting WAHM nappies.
    But you know what - AI1, AI2, pocket, snapin2, fold out... I am just so OVER IT. Over the strip washing, the stinky bamboo, bubbling PUL etc etc. Elastic on 'OSFA' cutting into little Milk Viper's thighs, waist etc etc. Paying $40 for a nappy that he pees through in seconds (yes, another HEAVY wetter here).
    Time and time again I come back to flats. I only have 12 left from his newborn days! The rest have fallen victim to the polishing rag box... Thanks DH!!
    recently I even started making my own nappies. I got a taste for it. I have made everything free pattern wise, and some bought. But you know what - same problem as the bought ones. They all have their design flaws. And again - back to the flats.
    Now I have 18m of hemp fleece sitting out the back that I got at $3 a metre on super sale and I am starting to think, since I have sold almost all of my MCN (I'm down to 10 Green Kids and a couple of bumgenius organics that i hate but are too stained to get rid of considering purchase price), maybe I should stop making fitteds and turn the hemp into... dum dum dum... FLATS!
    What do you think? I've read through the thread and the most common size seems to be 60x60cm.
    You know, I even use flats on MV that my mother used on me. They are a really soft drill cotton and need pins, but I love them!
    And I am going back to woollen covers. I bought a few jumpers and a few kilts from the op shop and I am cutting them up right after I get off this computer and making covers! I do have PUL covers I have made, side snapping ones like my motherease.
    My only question out there to you all - should I double the hemp over on the flats in case it gets too thin and degrades? Or do you think it will make them too thick to put on properly?
    Holly

I would say to double it over since it is hemp. There are flats out there that are quite thick but I have never found that it makes it any harder and I only used flats (DS is now FULLY potty trained )

I tried doubling it over and made it 70x70cm - it's quite bulky! but will make an amazing night nappy. I will wash it a few times and see how we go
    I just went out in my lunch break today and bought a 12 pack of big softies brushed cotton nappies at Target for $30 to see how I would go with them! I prefer them to terry for softness. I think instead of liners I will run up a number of hemp rectangles to add absorbency and also act as a solids catcher.
    We have a little squirt so I'm not worried too much about the poo
    Congratulations on TT! MV is just about there, but we are hoping for another one soon, so more nappies are definitely still needed.
    In the meantime I love part time EC with Mr MV

Thanks and yes I know what you mean, I'm TTC #2 atm I use terry myself but have never worried about liners, well I did for a little bit but they didn't seem to work for us. I love EC too I think that is what helped DS TT so soon, definately no complaints here lol. I managed to pick up a 12 pack of terries from Coles for just $10, I was thrilled to say the least.

Seriously? Fantastic! Was that recently? I am going to Coles this afternoon, hope I can get a bargain too!
    I've trawled through the discussion (mostly... there's a lot! lol) but I can't seem to find anyone making reference to a sewing pattern for a cover that goes over flats really well. I'm crocheting madly atm but I would love to use up the four metres of PUL I've got lying around too.
    I've sewn the free Chloes Toes side snapping pattern, which seems great, but I think I'd prefer something other than side snapping...
    I don't seem to get a good enough fit using BBH PUL or wool covers (wing gape). Any ideas on make your own patterns for covers over flats???

And good luck TTC!!!
    I also wanted to know, if you soak or dry pail the flats. If you soak them, do you still do a prerinse before washing in your machine?
    Last edited by Milk Viper's Mummy; June 10th, 2010 at 12:02 PM.

It was a while ago now but you never know
    I don't know much about patterns or materials but at Kmart ect they have these ones that have valcro. If you used them as a basis I'm sure that they would work, I used the store brought ones as i am no good at sewing, I liked them but there were a few improvements that could have been made and then they would have been absolutely perfect... like possibly some pvc and elastic around the leg area IMO.
    Thank you

Sadly no luck but I'll keep a look out!
    I think I'll try to cut a pattern off the pocket nappies I have, I actually used them as a cover today and it seemed to keep all the leg bits in
    I saw some Eenie wraps in the baby shop today - they looked good. But I'll stick with what i"ve got - the whole point of rationalising is to cut back and save money! lol

Hey lovely ladies - can y'all tell me what size covers I should have over terry flats on a (probably large lol) nb? I have a couple of teeny covers from last time but can't even remember if I used them...?! I DO remember I had some of those dodgey covers from Big W - they were size 000 I think... *brain fart*

Hi, I love the Thirsties wraps over anything, flats, fitteds, contours,...
    They have recently released the so-called Duo wraps. They are size adjustable and come in 2 sizes only, so you don't need to buy too many sizes, saving money eventually. They have stretch in them and gussets which make for a good fit. You can either get them with snaps or velcro. Velcro is great for newborns as it's easy to put on. But if your bub will be in just nappy and singlet a bit during summer, bear in mind that velcro can be a bit scratchy. At least my DH used to complain as he's frequently topless around the house and he hated velcro.
    For older bubs velcro and no pants is just an invitation to give themselves some nappy free time...

I didn't use cloth on my bub for the first 3 weeks. But he wasn't a big baby (3.4kg). He put on weight really quickly, though. By the time I started him in cloth, I used the small (sized, not the Duo) Thirsties and the Small Bummis SuperBrite and also the Original Bummis in small. All without any problems.

I love wool soakers and shorties, too. Especially in summer. But it really depends on how explosive your newborn's poos will be.

Hope that helps. All the best!
    Sasa

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast