Thread: Please help! Everything leaks!

Default Please help! Everything leaks!

I'm not sure if it's just because S is a heavy wetter, because I know he is, but everything is leaking right now and I'm despairing a little. Not so much that I'm wanting to go back to disposables because... guess what? They leak too! I'm just about buried under washing!

I've had him in disposables overnight lately (huggies) and about 3 nights out of 7 he will leak through those. I'm getting some Haute pockets in the mail soon (thanks Sarah ) and I can boost them quite well and they don't seem too bad, but even during the day I'm getting leaking.

This is what happens:

Ecobubs: Leak on the legs

Bumgenius OSFA pocket V2: leak at the top

Gadimal (GreenAcres design): Leak at the top (but are the best so far for day nappies which don't leak)

Pocket Change: Top and legs

Monkey Doodles, Magic Alls - dead loss unless I want to change him in 1/2 hour to make sure there's no leaking.

Is it just that the nappies are getting older so not as tight fitting? I've been checking round the legs to make sure I'm doing up the right number of buttons and short of cutting of circulation to his little thighs I don't know what else to do! I also wondered if it was an absorbency thing but the nappies are often very heavy when I take them off, so I'm guessing he just wees a lot LOL BTW he gets changed every 2 hours during the day, generally.

I'm saving up to buy some night nappies which I hope will help a bit with the nighttime problem... I have a Baby Beehind Bamboo but while it's very soft, I feel like when he wakes up it's so wet next to his skin - any ideas?

Hmmmmmmmm!

For nights I would be more inclined to use a fitted and cover combo. You can use the BBB but make sure you use a liner such as microflece and it will be a lot drier on the bot.

What type of fabric are you boosting with? I get the best results with bamboo. Hemp is alright but microfibre is least on the list for us and absorbancy. It also is no good for compression so if it's being sat on/laid on then it doesn't hold onto much. It's as if it's being wrung out.

You could try an extra booster but with pockets, over boosting can cause problems with leg sealing.

HTH

Thanks - microfibre is what I've used to boost with and I think that might be part of the problem. The success overnight with the haute pockets was with one of the BBH snap out bits, kwim? The bamboo really does seem to help.

I've got him in a fitted with cover tonight, mostly because I ran out of disposables and couldn't bring myself to buy anymore today (it really bothers me when he poos in them, because it's so hard to get into the loo... sorry if tmi!!) Should be OK I think, and if it works well I think I'll try more of them. Might check out some different bamboo fitteds and see what I can find - thanks for the idea about the microfleece to keep him feeling dry That's really the thing which was keeping me from wanting to go for that option.

Hi Bec,

Firstly got your package today! I didn't realise you'd sent the inserts as well so I have re-snappied the broken one and will pop them back to you tomorrow with a bamboo booster for you to have a try with but it might be time to switch to fitteds and covers at night like Raven said.

For day use are the nappies wet through when they leak or are they dry and the wee is escaping before it is absorbed? Ari went through a stage when she first strted walking where nappies were leaking through the leg because she was squatting a lot - not sure what fixed it but after a week it stopped happening. Out the top of the BG try leaving the onesize insert on med setting to give you extra coverage at the top, boys can often have a top wetting issue if things head north while they are playing (if you know what I mean) Snaps are good at solving this problem as you can snap the first wing tab snap to suit leg fit and then do a little gather by not choosing the second wing snap you normally would but the next one on giving you a firmer waist fit (did that make sense?)

I would also try giving them all a quick spell in the dryer for 15mins to see if that helps, sometimes the PUL need resealing (although it is mainly leaking from day dot but I have had some customers try it later on and it works too?)

I had problems with leaking too until just his week. Every single type of disposable diaper (and I tried em all) leaked out the top or out the leg at least twice a day so I tried cloth. The first kind I tried were flannel diapers with waterproof covers. They leaked out both the top and bottom as soon as DS peed. They also felt super wet/soggy as soon as he peed and I was worried about a diaper rash.

I have been using Eco Bumz all-in-ones this week and am so happy with them. They are fleece lined all-in-ones with Velcro closure and elastic at the back as well as the legs. They fit really well and we have not had a single leak all week, even overnight! Even after multiple pees the surface feels really dry so I'm not as worried about diaper rash with them. I'm so impressed with them.

I've totally ditched microfibre because I just think it's crap for the amount of bulk it creates! However, I know alot of people use it all the time with success.

I would definitely be using a fitted/cover combo at night. And boost with bamboo, or at least hemp during the day. I second Raven's tip of using a microfleece liner to reduce the wet feeling for your bub. But you know, I was convinced that the wetness was waking DS (we use BBB overnight) but really, the only times he's ever slept through has been wearing cloth! And the last time he wore a sposie at night I had to change him at 3am because he'd weed through it

It really is trial and error, but the girls have given you some great suggestions
    Last edited by Janie; May 16th, 2008 at 10:18 AM.

Not microfibre liner Janie, microfleece

Ooops, my mistake will go back and correct it. You definitely don't want to be using a microfibre liner!

I can't blame baby brain anymore, can I?

Thanks everyone, some good ideas there. I really need to move away from anything with velcro during the day because he undoes his nappies and that goes for the disposables as well!

Sarah, cheers for the bamboo booster; I'll let you know how we go with it.

Guess I'll start looking at buying some more nappies - what a shame

Hi everyone, just thought I'd add an update to this as we've had some success and I thought someone else might find the information useful.

Overnight I've been alternating my BBH and my two Mandy Mac hemp fitteds with Mother-Ease covers... was getting some leakage with them but have since bought a bigger cover (large instead of med) and it's GREAT fit, so that's what the problem was.

I got some microfleece liners and they're fantastic, really make a difference to how damp it gets next to his skin.

It wasn't just overnight that I found he was leaking, but also in the mornings. I've since realised (by keeping my eyes open - sometimes stuff is so obvious, isn't it?!) that he wees most in the am when he gets up. So when he gets up and has his morning bottle, I wait a bit (for the inevitable poo LOL) and afterwards I change him into a Haute in which I put two bamboo inserts (I leave out the microfibre completely). They seem to fit best around his legs and tum, and then I change him again before he has his nap, which is about 2 hours after he first gets up.

Generally then there's no problem for the rest of the day, as long as he's changed every couple of hours. I just needed to pay more attention to when he needed more absorbancy - and the bamboo is just a lifesaver! So thanks again for everyone's help and I hope my results might be able to help someone else as well!

I only just read this now, so glad your getting it sorted.
    I was going to suggest microfleece also for going against his skin, and mentioned that when my DS was about yours age, we realised that he seemed to be mostly saving up and doing an enormous pee as soon as he`d start to wake - so then we knew we just has to get in there pronto in the morning to change him.

Great that it's working so well for you now I hear you on the early morning wee thing too!