Thread: Could 3mnth old DS have reflux? Refusing BF and bottle ...

Default Could 3mnth old DS have reflux? Refusing BF and bottle ...

Would dearly welcome any advice re: my below concerns, as I'm at a loss to explain DS's behaviour over the past 24-36 hours.

Yesterday, my normally very placid and happy 3-month-old Bfed baby started screaming from midday onwards whenever laid horizontally to BF. When I'd bring him to the nipple he'd scream and would absolutely refuse to suck . Ultimately I expressed late afternoon and evening and he easily took BM from the bottle.

He BFd fine today (20mins) at 3.30am, 8.30am, 12pm and a 10-min feed at 3pm. As I was out visiting, I gave him BM via a bottle at 6pm, and he didn't want any more than 50ml. At 8pm tonight I tried him on the breast and had a repeat of yesterday - screaming when held horizontally and when brought to the nipple + refusing to suck. And now he doesn't take the bottle either. Again, he screams/cries when held horizontally . DH and I managed to get 50ml BM into him via the bottle, but he did a big spew and brought a fair bit back up.

Could this be reflux??? Or could it be something as simple as him just not wanting a feed ? After we got the hang of BFing early on, we haven't had any problems at all in the last 3 months. He's gained weight very well.

I've no idea what's caused this sudden change of behaviour. DS has always regurgitated a little BM, but hasn't shown any signs of reflux (as I understand what reflux is). The other weird thing is that he's not crying when we lie him on his back, he's only crying when he's positioned for a feed.

At about 8.45pm tonight after lots of screaming and crying DS went to sleep while being comforted by DH, so he's currently still in his cot. I guess if he's hungry enough he'll feed later. At least I hope he will.

If the screaming and refusal of BM via boob or bottle continues tomorrow, I'll be taking him to the GP. However, I'd welcome any thoughts from mums who have had similar experiences with their bubs. For the record, he's well otherwise. No temp, no lethargy, no rashes etc, plus plenty of wet/pooey nappies. He's been quite contented most of the day (and yesterday) other than our feed-time dramas.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers, Andie

Have you tried BFing him in a different position? Under your arm, or lay down next to him & feed him? Maybe get DH to give him the bottle?
    The best I can do. Sorry. Hope it helps a bit.

Thanks Skye, we haven't tried other positions as the cradle-type hold has always worked a treat for us ... till now. DH has often given DS a bottle, so that's no prob either. A diff position may be worth a try. Thanks again.

Quick update ... when DS woke from his sleep (10pm ish) he started squarking again. When I got him calmed we offered him a bottle of EBM ... and he drank the 80-odd ml. He was pretty sleepy again, so I tried him on the boob ... and he BF'd for approx 15 mins.

Dunno if I'm over-reacting ... but refusing the boob on and off over two days is not my son's normal behaviour. And he never usually screams - he's generally one of the calmest, happiest bubs around. Still wondering if reflux may be involved.

Anyhoo ... will see what tomorrow brings.

Andie

Is the refusing to suck/hating to lie down the only thing that's amiss at the mo???

I come from a l-o-n-g line of refluxers (I still have it as do my brothers, father (he has Barretts), and grandparents ... phew!)

Does he arch his back, go ramrod stiff, scream really high pitched, cough/glup/splutter/gasp when asleep or lying down, vomit far more than what's considered "norm", have an "acidic" smell about him or vomits that look curdish or chunky?

Just being really unsettled with no other "obvious" symptoms might not point to reflux, but if there's more going on than that something maybe amiss.

Best thing you can ever do is start charting when things are not right or have you worried ... a diary might help you see if there's a pattern to the puzzle and will also give your GP a fantastic idea of what's going on which can help them reach the right diagnosis.

I have no idea how you would do it breastfeeding, but perhaps feeding him his bottle whilst he's slightly more "upright" might help in the meantime ... never forget you're a fantastic mummy doing a great job ... and if at anytime you're worried just toddle off to the doctor for advice ... after all that's what they're paid for ...

Andie
    My DS has Chronic reflux. If breast refusal is the only problem it is unlikely to be reflux. Have you changed anything in your diet this may affect you milk.

My DS only slept in short spurts and always woke up screaming. We raised the head end of his cot. He would vomit almost all of his feeds and had very low weight gain. He ended up on on high doses of medication and now at 18months still vomits and is looking like having to have surgery to find the cause of the problem.
    Sorry I cant give you any help because only medication helped to ease my DS reflux. Even now without the medication he vomits everything he eats and drinks.

Hi Saph,

Thanks for that, although sorry to hear about your DS's chronic reflux - hope the op fixes him right up.

Given the responses to my post and a bit of reading up, I've come to the conclusion that DS can't have reflux ... at the time of typing my original post I was a bit stressy as DS had refused breast on and off all weekend, and he was spewing up a fair bit of milk (when he did choose to feed). As nothing else seemed to fit, I wondered if he had reflux.

It seems quite a few bubs turn their nose up at the breast sometime between 8 and 16 weeks, and then happily go back to the boob. So it appears his behaviour was atypical of many babies, from what I can gather.

Anyway, DS is happily BFing again. He still throws up a bit after most feeds, and he refused the boob again a couple of times during the weekend just gone, but on the whole he's his old self. Happy also to lie on his back whenever put down, and I assume if he had reflux he'd hate to lie on his back much.

Thanks for the help and advice!
    Andie