Thread: Just diagnosed with reflux

Default Just diagnosed with reflux

Hi. I am a first time Mum so I tend to worry a lot. My 6 week old son has just been diagnosed with reflux. He started showing sings when he was 2 weeks but the doc assured me it was just wind. We had to wait until things got really bad before the diagnosis was given. He has just started on Zantac and we are thinkening his formula. He is on NAN HA. Today he has been throwing up every second feed and I am concerned that he is not getting much into his system. He doesn't seem to be in as much pain as before. I'm just wondering if there is anything else I can do to stop him throwing up so much. He doesn't drink as much as he is supposed to anyway. We have tried sitting him up for 20 minutes after feeding and his cot is elevated. Just not sure what else to do. Help!!!!

Alz,
    What are you thickening his formula with? Is he gaining weight/staying the same/losing weight? I know its hard and I feel for you. Have you tried Mariners infant mixture or Brauers colic relief (I think it helps with reflux). We suspected reflux but just went down to a smaller sized teat (guess you cant do that with thickened formula).

Hi alz, I know what you are going through. We made the decision not to medicate as he wasn't at all distressed by the throwing up even though it was frequent and large amounts. We just elevated his head nearly all the time, and put him up on my shoulder for 30 mins after each feed. He's now 5 months old and still vomits very frequently (like every 10 mins if he's on his tummy) but he's a very happy little boy. He isn't big, and we did have some issues with his weight gain early on, but I received some very good advice just to throw food/boobies at him as often as possible to try to get more in - he always returned any excess. It's not much fun when you're being vomited on constantly, it gets me down some days just being covered in vomit and not being able to wear nice clothes or even sit with my son on our couch, but I'm just so happy he's healthy and enjoys life. Hope things settle for you, ours got better at around 6 wks.

Thanks for the support. Rebecca77 in response to your questions I am thickening his formula with Karicare thickener. He is still gaining weight at an average rate. I keep telling myself to stop stressing as he is gaining weight, wetting 6-8 nappies a day and is doing a poo every day. But I can't help worrying. He does seem to be a bit happier today but still will only drink about 80 mls each feed. He should be drinking 120 but he just doesn't want it. I'm not sure if I can give him Mariners infant mixture or Brauers colic relief as he is already on Zantac.

Alz - Check with your CHN - give them a call. Or speak to a pharmacist - their advice is free at least! I know its hard when the tin says should be drinking 120 ml per bottle but just average out how much he has in a 24 hour period. I was freaking out cause Caitlyn was only taking 60 ml some feeds and 120 the next but when I kept a record (and I recommend only doing it once!) she was averaging around 700 ml per day. I give Caitlyn S26 and it says that she should have 6 feeds at 120 ml which is 720 ml. So she is getting about what she needs and obviously Ethan is getting what he needs too if he is gaining weight steadily. Its just hard when he is obviously in discomfort. I am sure you will get lots and lots of advice about picking him up or not picking him up but in the end you have to do what you feel is right. Just remember that he can probably feel how tense/stressed you are.
    When I am feeling particularly stressed about my bubby crying is walk around with her in my arms thinking how lucky I am to be holding this child and how beautiful she is. Good luck!

Thanks. I was at the end of my rope yesterday when he just would not settle. A friend suggested that I try soy formula. I have given him 1 feed which he didn't take much but hopefully soon he will like it. Going to the GP tomorrow to insist on a referral for the pead. Completely out of ideas.

Hi Alz, I am sorry to hear that your bub has reflux. I think that you were on the right track with the nan HA, it is more broken down and easier to digest for a reflux baby, this means it sits in the tummy longer and will cause less reflux and if it does get vomited up hopefully some will be digested before this happens.

With a spitter what you have to go on is weight gain, if he is gaining weight and having wet nappies he is fine. It always looks a lot more coming out as it is thickened with spit and gastric juices. Also refluxers tend to have an extra feed or two and that counteracts it generally.

Soy is not generally a good choice for a refluxer, in fact I don't think I know any that have done well on it, and it is because the proteins are quite large and hard to digest, you may find that he will be in pain longer or vomit more on it, it may also cause constipation, diarehha or eczema.

With the zantac if he is fussy and crying then it is a good idea to be on it, make sure to get the dose increased with his increasing weight as it is very weight sensitive.

Good luck with the Dr!