Thread: Rice cereal and other solids for reflux

Default Rice cereal and other solids for reflux

The ped recently suggested starting solids for my 4.5 month old DD to help with her reflux and gain weight, as she's not eating enough formula. So far, I've given her 2 feeds of rice cereal which she's really enjoyed having (to the point where she's grabbed the spoon and my hand to put it in her mouth.)

First time around, she got a little cranky an hour later. Cried for about 15 minutes before she fell asleep. This morning I tried again, and about an hour later, she got super fussy again. She cried for pretty much 2 hours, and wouldn't take a nap. She threw up all over herself and me. A few hours later, she had very loose diarrhea like poop. She's only had one so far, so I can't say she has the runs, but is it normal to have runny poop after rice cereal? Here I was actually worried she'd be constipated.

I'm going to hold off on the cereal for a week and see if her fussiness decreases. I'm not sure what's going on. The ped also said to start veggies and fruit, but now I'm kinda worried. Maybe she's not ready yet?

Any ideas? Also, what kind of a feeding schedule should I have for her? She's on a 3-hour formula feeding schedule during the day, and usually sleeps through the night. She's also on Losec 1.25ml twice a day.

How much is she drinking? If you want to try and keep the acid/spew down, what about thickening her formula? Like buy some AR formula or adding some thickner, thats pretty much what the rice cereal is doing. I tried DD on rice cereal and in 2 words... its crap.

My little bella had quite bad reflux and we started solids at 4.5 months, for some reason though, the rice cereal did not agree with her at all and she would throw up even more than usual. She took pear, pumpkin or sweet potato much better.
    Good luck, I know how annoying all the spewing can be. FWIW, Bella is 7 months and has almost stopped yacking.

yeh i found it distressed DD coz it just made her spew thicker. didnt lessen the amount at all. She was just all round.. crabby.

Hollye, we're lucky to get anything more than 20 ounces in 24 hours. We tried the AR formula, and it gave her severe constipation. Didn't help with spit up either.
    Since the rice cereal, her reflux seems to be worse. Maybe it was too heavy for her? I don't know, but she's back to crying and fighting the bottle. It's so frustrating!

Nicambhar, should try veggies/fruit instead? Also, do you give it right after formula or an hour or so later? How many times a day, and how much?