Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teething & No Sleeping

Default Teething & No Sleeping

Hi there,

My daughter (who is 8 mths today!) is currently teething (her second tooth is coming through) and her sleep has cut right back. Her old routine was roughly the below:

8am - nap for 45 mins

12pm - the 'big sleep' of anywhere between 1.5 - 3 hours sleep. On average it was about 2 hours.

4pm-5pm- 40 min sleep

Now usually I have to lay with her for about 30 mins to an hour before I sneak out (bad , I know) for her lunchtime sleep and she'll usually cry out for me about an hour into her naptime and I have to go in and lay back down with her and feed her back to sleep. Her afternoon nap is where I cannot sneak away, she is onto me and wakes at the slightest movement from me so I usually have to lay there for the full 40 mins (ugh).

Now, her lunchtime nap has whittled down to half an hour and her afternoon nap has just gone altogether with this teething business!

Has anyone else gone through sleep diminishing when their bub is teething? I hope to god her sleeping gets better! At the very least, I want to to be able to leave her to sleep on her own so I can do things or have 'me' time, it's driving me nuts!

Cooper always struggles to sleep when teething. I found that on the bad days I had to give Panadol or Nurofen (I alternate between the two as suggested by the doctor) before his naps before trying to settle him. He always goes back into his 'normal' sleep pattern once the teeth settle down again

Thanks for your reply! We've given Maya a combination of Bonjela and Baby Panadol but it doesn't really affect her non-sleeping....sigh.

I see you're due on the 08-08-08, cool date!Oh and Maya's birthdate is 27th Aug of 07...so she's almost a birthday twin with Cooper.

Hiya Kimnastics !

It's reassuring to hear it gets better, even though I 'know' it will, sometimes it feels like it's stretching on forever (especially when you're sick yourself and exhausted)...it helps to talk to other mums.

Goin to join Aug 07 baby buds now!

Hi Luminosity, my DS's sleeping has gone out the window too since he starting teething with his top two teeth. His day sleeping is still great though, just the nights are terrible. I give him nurofen for infants just before bed if he is having a bad day with them (grizzly and clingy) as it seems to work better than panadol for the teething pain, plus it lasts a little longer.

I've been having night time sleep dramas here too which all started with the teething, it's been going on for weeks and she's only popped 1 tooth (she's erupting top and bottom though). I second Trillian's recommendation of Nurofen, and I also suggest you try SM-33 instead of Bonjela. I found when I had wisdom teeth erupting that Bonjela did diddly squat. SM-33 has a local anaesthetic in it and works really well.

this happens here too - Noah gets very clingy and bad sleeping. i find after they come through (he has 4 now) he has a day or 2 where he catches up on sleep (YAY) and then is back to a bit worse than normal.. (i think he takes a while to settle back and to be honest we have had constant teething now for over a month)
    my fam day care mum recommended i massage his gums with vegemite (eeww i know) and this does help him.

i have found that giving ds some "Hylands teething relief tablets' help him to relax and sleep. i second the nurofen as well.

Hi there luminosity!

My DD is a birthday twin with your DD, and we are experiencing the EXACT same thing with teething right now too.

I feel so bad for giving her Panadol & Bonjela frequently, but its all I can do to help her calm down enough to sleep. She was so good at putting herself to sleep until a week or so ago, and now she screams at the sight of her cot and I have to really sit with her, feed her, rock her, drug her (!!) just to get her to sleep. We're co-sleeping half the night too. I so hope it passes quickly! She has her bottom two teeth already (got those at 5.5 months), and her top left has just come through, I can just feel one tip of it.

I'm off to the chemist today to get some Nurofen and SM-33...

Hope its all going OK for you now, and hope to see you in the August Baby Thread...

Rhi

Hi again!

Well, she's started sleeping again but only when I am beside her lying down. So, I have had to take naps during the day with her and go to bed at night when she does (I have tried to sneak away, the silence lasts 10 minutes). She also screams and throws a tizzy when she realizes I'm (or my fiance) putting her in her cot.

I have been sick too so, even though I would LOVE LOVE LOVE a half hour to myself where she is asleep and I can relax, I think "well, maybe it isn't a bad thing that she is forcing me to sleep when she does...

I went to the chemist a few days ago and got that Brauers (sp?) teething relief stuff but haven't tried it with her yet. Will see how she goes, she appears to have settled down with the teething at least (though, not the clinginess, which I hear is a normal developmental thing for bubs aged between 8-9 months too)... might chase up some of the SM-33 like a few of you suggested.

Campari, yay for birthday twins! What time was your daughter born? I feel bad giving my bub Panadol too, I heard it's not great for the liver but that was also spoken about in reference to a woman who gave it to her bub almost every day so...I think if you use it when ya have to, it's fine. Everything in moderation!

Will let ya know how the Brauers goes when I need to use it! It's a homeopathic remedy and I've heard some mums say it's great.

Kimnastics, thanks for the link! I had a quick look the other day and, you're right, it isn't the easiest thread to find lol! But then had to ditch the computer for the bub when she 'summoned' me.

Hey there!
    The Brauers Colic Relief worked really for us, but haven't had so much luck with the Teething one. Usually when the night starts looking like a long and torturous one I give her some Brauers to start with, but if the screaming continues too long at the next wake-up, then I go for the Panadol. If boobies don't work, what other options are there??!! I only have used it twice this week, so I guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself. We've had the same bottle since she was 1 month old and its nearly still full

I got the SM-33, but its so hard to apply! Milla just closes her mouth shut and if I manage to get a finger in, she just licks it off before I can possibly get it on her top gum.

And in answer to your other question: She was born at 9:44am... bang on her due date I'm friends with another mum who has a DD born on the same day too - we were in adjacent hospital rooms it turned out!

Good luck, and hope you get some sleep AND time to yourself soon

Hiya Campari,

Yeah I know what ya mean about applying the gel on their gums...Maya sticks her tongue out ready to lick it off my finger too...I think she likes Bonjela, I dunno what do you think lol?

Maya was born at 2:06am, exactly on her due date too!

Thanks for the luck! Good luck to you too

Hi my DD is getting another tooth (or teeth ). the 1st 2 were on the day of her 4 month injections, and I actually don't know which was causing the grizzles that day, but this one is so different.. 3 nights so far of waking 3 + times, she normally sleeps through.

Is there an average time it takes for the tooth to come through (I know all are different, but just want a rough idea).

I have bought some baby nurofen and will give her some later today when I can watch her to make sure she doesn't react. I was way too tired after shooting out to the after hours chemist last night..

Yay, lots to look forward to. Just what I need with the inlaws coming to stay for a week.. ., but thanks, at least I know not to stress if it continues for a while..

luminosity - sorry for hijacking your thread (brain wasn't really here this morning)..

My DD is exactly the same, this time is worse cause I think there are 4 trying to get through at once. Bonjela kind of works, but I will have to try the SM-33. As for applying it, my DD doesn't have a dummy and I noticed when I put one in her mouth to try and get her to sleep cause I was at my wits end, she chewed it. Now I put the Bonjela on the dummy and she puts it in, and normally straight to the sore spot.

~Belinda~ Guest

Hi Girls

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have been having some issues with my DD who is now 5 months old.

Her bottom two came through at 4 months and are really through now. I'm having some issues this past week with her. Her gums at the top are quite white, she is really chewing on things and will move her tongue along the top gums. Her urine smells extremely bad. She is also waking through the night regularly, stirring quite a bit and grizzling. She has been one to always sleep through. It's so hard when she night wakes! I've been giving her Brauers Teething Relief but she still stirs, perhaps Panadol would work better?

Question, could her top two be coming down this early as her bottom two were early? And do those symptoms sound familiar to any of you?

Your help in trying to figure out what is wrong would be helpful!

Thanks.

Belinda

~Belinda~ Guest

I am going insane!

DD is waking all night and she tosses and turns so much, it's been like this for a couple of weeks now, hoping it will get better

I can't feel two teeth at the top but it's so hard! Nurofen is given to her before bed and it seems to help for a while but then she'll start tossing/turning again.

It's hard to know if this is it! Her two bottom ones were here at 4 months so I suspect her top two are coming down at 6 months.

Sorry if TMI but her urine smells soooooooo strong too!

Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? Does this take weeks? She has always slept through.

Thanks.

Belinda

bindy are you still co sleeping???? babies are very restless sleepers, more so than us, perhaps try her in her own cot beside your bed! she may sleep a little better and not wake so much

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast