Thread: Is this too much wind?

Default Is this too much wind?

Our little boy seems to have a fair bit of wind. After feeding we rock him to sleep upright on our chest while patting his back/bottom and after lots of farts and wind he goes to sleep... but it can take a few goes and lots of getting the wind out before he'll be able to be laid down to sleep. He's generally not upset except for some initial tired crying that passes quickly so I don't think he's really uncomfortable.

His sleep seems fairly unsettled though as we can hear lots more wind. Last night he woke up as usual 3 hours after the last feed (still farting and burping) but he really didn't seem awake so we resettled him by lying him on his side and patting his back and he woke up an hour later and fed/resettled better than usual.

We were thinking he must have too much wind and that's waking him up- not hunger. I booked him in to see a chiro next week as apparently they can help with wind but then I read in baby love today that hearing wind while he sleeps is normal... but 3-4 hours since his last feed? Could it be that we're just not burping him properly?

Your DS is at that very "windy" age, my DS2 was the same. He would wake up crying and pulling his knees up so we gave him Infacol before every feed and it made a huge difference. There are lots of products that can help with wind. An all natural one is Brauer Colic Relief, you can get it from most chemists. Also Infants Friend or gripe water are meant to be good, I think it all depends what suits your bub.

I've taken both our bubs to paediatric chiros and it made a big difference with both of them. It's definitely worth going!

I've been wondering if the chiro might be a waste but I'll always be wondering 'what if?' if we don't try it. I always seem to hear nothing but good things too- so thanks for another positive Trish.

I might look into the Brauers- thanks for the tip!

Oliver is very windy/farty and if he doesn't get it all up and out will wake screaming in pain within 20 mins of being put down (which breaks my heart). I've realised that if I eat cashews or nuts it seems to aggrivate it so I've stopped with that, but he still sucks in a lot of air while nursing - my MIL thinks its probably because I've got a fast flow of milk and he is trying to regulate it.

I tried the Brauer Colic Relief but didn't find it made much difference and was reluctant to keep giving it to him in that case, but I think others have had more success. We just keep him upright after his feeds and pat his back until we get a burp. The waking up screaming thing is happening less often than it was a couple of weeks ago so I'm hoping he is just growing out of it.

If he is still sleeping through I would say its not bothering him as much as you...?

I gotta tell you this - when I had my first bub I was chatting to the mum in the bed next to me. Her bubba was in the crib and no joke, he farted SO LOUD I saw him lift up, then snort and back to sleep. This was a newborn! His mum laughed and said his brother and dad were the same...