Thread: Cosleeping & the mobile baby

Default Cosleeping & the mobile baby

What do other people do if bub is still asleep when you're ready to get up for the day? Do you wake him up or just hope you can get there quickly enough once he's awake so he doesn't roll or crawl off?

Thanks Caro. Will have to suss out the sleep rite. J's not crawling just yet either but it won't be long I imagine. I'll have to have another go at putting him in the cot for some sleeps too but I don't like my chances of getting him to stay there without screaming.

Yeah I haven't bothered getting my av changed. Maybe it'll be lucky... having a baby belly in the av will get me one IRL?? LOL If only it were so easy!

We coslept until DS was 10.5 months so he was well mobile for the last few months (he’s in a cot in his own room now). I used to put pillows all around the edge of the mattress with DS right in the middle of the bed. We have quite a small house so it was easy for me to be near the bedroom keeping an eye on him and in easy earshot of any little noise, and still get stuff done around the house while he was asleep. The pillows didn’t stop him from falling off the bed. They were just there as a diversion that would buy me a few extra moments so I could get to him before he crawled away and fell off. It was only a few weeks after he first started crawling that he seemed to learn about edges and falling so it really wasn’t that much of a problem. Sometimes I would watch him to see what he would do, rather than go in and get him straight away, and he would crawl to the edge and look over and he never did fall off the bed.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Gees thinking back now but we coslept with both for ages... one side of the bed was always against the wall and we also had a sleep rail up, but they barely moved really. We also had pillows vertically both sides sometimes but they wouldn't be on their own often. I would sleep with them if I could get more sleep (unlikely!!) and I was always working at home, so I was around.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Thanks everyone

Caro, not actively as I haven't had AF back yet but we are keen to have another bub (or 2!) so we've never bothered trying to prevent it happening. The sleep rite looks great! Might be just the thing.

I still semi-co-sleep with my 3-year-old DS - we're on adjoining mattresses now - but am hoping to move him to another room soon. Anyway, what I ended up doing when he was a baby was simply putting the mattress on the floor to prevent rolling/falling problems. Before that, I used mats, pillows, anything that I could arrange on the floor next to the bed so that if he fell it would at least be on something soft (but not too soft - keeping in mind suffocation risks). I think I used a bolster on the other side of the bed to stop him rolling out that way. It doesn't make for a very attractive bedroom, but having the mattress on the floor has made things very safe and easy!

I co-sleep most half nights with Jovie & often I will get her to sleep on the bed & then leave & come back. I always prop a pillow up where I was and put a pillow next to the bed in case she fellas, She's never actually fallen off before.

Caro, yeah he does get really hot so I'll have to keep that in mind when I look for something like the sleep rite. I'll also have to make sure it's comfy for me to as he needs me to have my arm around him most of the time when he's sleeping. Otherwise I'll just have to use pillows as others suggested.

LOL Angel, Jovie sleeps best as long as she's touching me or my arm is around her. If not then she tosses & turns until she knows I'm there.

Our guys like to snuggle together - and although we dont do it anymore - putting a mattress on the floor for a while helps til they are bigger. All our beds are up on futons now, but we mostly sleep in only one of them I worried about our little guy coming up the stairs from our room and falling down, so he goes into cots happily for naps, and we use a monitor to hear him stirring and meet him before he rises. He is happy in the cot for naps as he knows if he calls me - I come. He usually waves goodbye to me for his one nap for the day, and says 'cot' after 'booba' This works for us - but at night - we all hang out close together in either one or two beds......depending on how tired or hot we are, to get as much sleep as we can.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...rch2007064.jpg

hmmmmmmmmmmmm - am very out of practice with this posting on forums business. my words got lost. anyhow - we find that having the boys close together in bed helps. they love it - and i'm sure that it helps their bonding and friendship to share that quiet time.......