Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you co-sleep?

Lee-Ann Guest

Default Do you co-sleep?

Okay so I never thought I'd ever let my child sleep in my bed. My first 2 daughters didn't but then I believe that every child has different needs. Regan is a restless sleeper and I tried putting her in her cot but she never ever slept through the night. She always slept better in my bed and never got distressed. I refused to control cry. Every one "tuts" and tells me that I should have her in her own bed. Other people tell me how their "good" baby sleeps in their own cot etc etc. I just feel so alone co-sleeping with my daughter. But she never gets distressed and she sleeps so wonderfully and honestly it isn't a problem for me or my partner. Why is it people make me feel like I'm doing something so wrong but yet it feels so right for me. I try not to listen to the well meaning advice from friends, family & professionals but it can be hard when I feel so bombarded. For those who co-sleep/slept with their babies what age did you make the transition to their own bed?

Kirsty77 Guest

FOr a start don't listen when they give you advice.Every bub is different like you said. I to never thought I'd be into co sleeping but like Regan, Gemma is a restless sleeper. That said only now at 12months has she started sleeping in her own bed again. Gemma has co slept since she was 6months. It was always something, teething, gastro and it was easier when she was sck for her and us for her to be close. Even now she may sleep in our bed from about 3am onwards, but only when teething or sick now not so much just for cuddles!!. So your not alone. I couldn't do the c/c thing either. It made me anxious and sad.

lee-ann i have co-slept with all my bubbas from when they are newborn until they decide they would like to move into their own bed. usually this is around 2 and a 1/2 to 3. my middle son still sleeps on a mattress in our room because he only feels safe there and he is 8. i go with the flow. well done on listening to your child's needs. it is so lovely to hear with all the crap about CC and 'sleeping on their own' and 'self settling/soothing', that's what mumma's are for. good on you.
    beckles

We co-sleep with Maggie. Most nights she starts off in the cot and I will normally bring her to bed with the first waking after I have gone to bed. I do actually enjoy it, especially when DH is away. It is nice having her there. Saying that though we are thinking of when and how to move her. She really hates the cot, I can only put her in there once she is asleep, so we are thinking of a junior bed. We might pick one up in a few months and see how she goes.

Yasin had his hammock beside our bed but he finished most nights in our bed until he moved into his own bed when he was about 15 months old. We got a double so that even though he had his own bed we could still co-sleep with him when needed. Most nights that DH is home he will sleep in Yasin's bed from about 3am onwards. So now he's 2 (in about a week) we still co-sleep with him but in his bed not ours.
    Imran sleeps in our bed for his night sleeps and the plan is that he will stay there until he moves into his brother's big bed and then they will co-sleep with each other. Its one of those trio bunks with the double on the bottom (really low and close to the floor in case of falls) and single on the top and the plan is that when they get older and don't want to share a bed we will put the ladder on it and one of them will have the top bunk.
    I love co-sleeping and I'm going to miss it so much when my babies don't want to sleep with me any more.
    It seems like the most normal and natural thing in the world to me that a couple should want to keep thier babies close to them. Of course its not for everyone but it seems so silly that those who do it should be criticised for it.
    I agree that Sleeping Like a Baby is great book (even though I don't 100% agree with Pinky's opinions on dummies - then again I've never read a book that I agreed with 100% lol). It has heaps of interesting information about co-sleeping and gentle options for settling babies and toddlers.

mine still come into bed with me every morning chloe, even the 11 year old for a snuggle. i love it.
    beckles

It's a pain isn't it when everyone thinks our doing something wrong or strange! We gathered heaps of info about co-sleeping to throw back at them but I can't rember any of it now.

We put DS down for naps in a cot and we then would put him in his cot for the first few hours and bring him into bed when he woke for his first feed. When he was 1 we put him into a single bed with a rail and we would go in and lie down with him there, he would usually call out and as he got older wander in about 1-2am. At 3 we would let him settle with us and then carry him back to bed and he would wake up in his own bed, now he occassionally comes in abou 5:30 - 6am and lies with us before we get up. There is a great book called the no-cry sleep solution by Elizabeth Pantly which is excellent at tackling sleep issues with cosleeping and attachment parenting

We only co-sleep now when she is unsettled. She has had a tummy bug at the moment, so if her being in bed with us (and us being kicked as a result!) is how we can all get some sleep, we go with it.
    Generally she is good til about 2-4am, and then DP will take her into the spare bed which is a queen, and they sleep there.
    As a newborn to about 6m he slept with her all the time cuase he just loved it. I admit now I wish I'd done it a little more when she was little cause she doesn't wriggle anywhere near as much as now!

My sister had big sleeping issues with hers, but I dont think that was through co-sleeping, more the fact they grew up in Japan where they all slept in one room on the floor. The girls at 7 and 4 had never really slept in beds, so when they moved back to NZ at the start of this year they had a terrible time for about 3-4 months.

I dont feel bad about co-sleeping, but I do wish she would sleep through without us more often. Its slowly getting better though.

Kynan cosleeps with us when he needs to, quite a lot when he was little but he doesn't need it so much now. Whenever he's sick or unsettled it's into bed with us and he sleeps so much better. He also snuggles up in bed next to me for his morning BF and we often fall asleep together then too. I think it's just beautiful! And at 16.5 months old he still sleeps in his cot in our room too.

Kirsty77 Guest

Oh yeh I should ahve said thats the reason why Gemma sleeps better in her own bed now, its in our room!LOL!

Hi Leeann,

Of my three babies, I found it absolutely necessary to co-sleep with my second. The others were all in the cot from day 1 with no problems, but she was a 2 hourly feeder - through the day and night - and it just exhausted me to continue to get up. So, she would sleep on a pillow, snuggled up against my body. It was lovely - and she would sleep much better - and so would I. We moved her into the cot in her own room the day after she turned 1 - and she never looked back!

People can sometimes be very judgemental when it comes to parenting - you need to do what works the best for you - after all - she won't be sleeping with you by the time she is 13 - be rest assured!!!!!! They are only little for such a very short time!!

xx

chelleg Guest

I didn't co-sleep with Lilly when she was a baby, but ever since we moved into our new house just before she turned 1, she has slept with me. It just works for us. Her bedroom is a distance away from mine and i would have separation anxiety if she was in there! LOL I just find she sleeps better and i rest well knowing she's there and if for some reason she wakes and is upset i'm just there and can easily cuddle her up and comfort her.

beastie Guest

i co-slept with xander the first six weeks after birth.
    than i put him in his own bed in his own room, because neither me nor him could sleep when we both were together in one room.. let alone in one bed

till this day i bring him back to his bed when he felt asleep in my bed or i had take him to my bed if he woke up in the night.

but if you and your bub WANT that, DO IT!
    its just your decision and everything's fine if you both are lucky

Smile Do what suits you!

We have never co-slept at all since day one, Tayneesha went into her cot since we arrived home form the hospital, she has been fine and never not likedit. Lucky i think!

If it works for you though do it. Don't let people tell you what you should do and Bla Blah Bah. Just do what is right for your family at the time.

Hope this helps.

Jen
    x

Talia co-slept with us til she was 8 months, then she was happy to sleep in her cot for the next 4 months. When she turned 1 she started teething terribly so back into bed with us as it was the only way to keep her settled. Stayed there till she was about 20 months old. And went straight into a single bed. She is now in a double bed as it is easier for me to sleep in there with her in case she is sick or upset. Some nights she creeps into our bed and I will wake up a couple of hours later and take her back to hers. I like it. If it makes her feel safe then I have no problems with it. When I was a kid I used to glue my curtains together as I was so scared of what was outside my window in the dark. So if it makes her happy and she sleeps better then its all good with me.

I used to inadvertantly co-sleep...lol. I'd fall asleep feeding and wake up with him still laying next to me. When he was sick he wanted to sleep with me..like when he had chicken pox. Now, even though he's 13 he likes me to lay down in bed with him and have a chat or just lay with him before he goes to sleep.

CaughtGypsy Guest

Hey - a definate yes from this family. WIllie Jack has slept with us from the start (now 15m). He is a high-maintenance kid and this is the easiest way for all of us to get sleep. I gave up listening to what everyone else said with the whole BF debate - it still smarts when it is said as if you are a freak though.

I think it just comes down to different strokes for different folks, but I am glad to have him in with us. It feels much more family and anything that strengthens the whole family thing is a positive as far as I am concerned.

addbaby Guest

We LOVE co-sleeping in this family as well. With my first, Chloe, she slept with us until 8 months, when she moved into a hammock (which she loved and took to straight away). She stayed in the hammock until she leared to do a sort of front somersault-dive out of it (time for new arrangements) and she went straight into a cot at around 13 months and began sleeping all night. We are sharing our bed at the moment with our other little angel who is 9 months old, but she can already do "the dive" out of the hammock so I think she will just stay with us until around 14 months. It is sometimes a little challenging to get good rest, particularly when bubs are teething (like at present) and where she wants my nipple in her mouth ALL NIGHT!! But we love it overall and I know just how quick they grow up and move into their own space and that precious time is gone forever. I feel sad even thinking about her moving out of our bed!! Enjoy. Listen to what feels right and again......ENJOY.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast