Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you co-sleep?

~Aquarius~ Guest

Hi Lee-Ann

Yep we co-sleep. We really don't have a choice! DS loves to be in our bed, and it's easier for me when it comes to b/f him when he wants during the night.

He is however an extremely restless sleeper. Drives us insane. But I love having him in with us. And he loves being there.

To the people who have something to say about it.... well it's not their choice it's mine

I was just wondering, if you dont mind me asking, how you co-sleep? Obviously in the same bed, but DH leaves for work at 5am and around that time im up with Jesse feeding. It would be so much easier if i could then bring him back to my bed and get some more sleep but ive always worried id pull the blankets over his head while im asleep or roll onto him or something and suffercate him..

We've only just started co-sleeping, coz I get sick of getting up thru the night, and he seems to sleep better with us at the moment.

Kellxx - I really struggled with co-sleeping when Tallon was really small. I couldn't sleep coz I was worrying about blankets and things too. It's only now that I'm able to sleep with him between us, and he slept so well in the cot for the first 6 months, only waking for feeds and going straight back to sleep.

I haven't been against co-sleeping, but I've never been particularly pro co-sleeping either, simply because I worry about the transition back to the cot. So our co-sleeping only really happens if I can't resettle Tallon in the middle of the night, I just pop him in our bed and he sleeps straight away.

I also think this horrible changable weather is making co-sleeping easier, coz I think I'm just not getting him rugged up right his cot. It starts of hot, so he's unwrapped or in a sleeping bag, then it turns cold through the night...yada yada. Much easier to regulate warmth in our bed. heh.

kellxx there are safe co-sleeping 'guidelines' - google should bring up some info.

Kell, its unlikely that you would roll on your baby. How many times have you fallen out of bed recently? Even while we're asleep we retain most of our sensory preception unless we're under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol. They do warn about co-sleeping if you have very long hair or are obese (I'm not quite sure why - I geuss that the hair could get tangled around bub's neck).
    When Imran was a month old I put him right up against the headboard and I usually put blankets on him so we were't sharing doona. These days if I do that he kicks me in the face so now we share a doona and I just make sure his face is level with mine.
    The SIDS and Kids website has safe co-sleeping guidelines.

oops i thought i had already answered this thread.
    i started co-sleeping fulltime when my baby was 3 months, before that it was just in the night when she first woke(basinett in our room). one day she slept through - i wanted her to co-sleep cause all the research id read pointed out thats what she should do as a mammal, and breastfeeding through the night was alot more beneficial to her than not.also emotionally i feel it is so good for her - and it has been wonderful in promoting a trusting relationship with her and her dad(sometimes breastfeeding makes them 'wary' of dad
    it certainly wasnt a decision i was forced into because i had a baby who didnt sleep

we started co sleeping after zac got sick. it was great as we slept more and so did he. he is now 14 weeks old and trying to stop co sleeping as he will now not sleep byhimself. we had people telling us not to and this is our own fault but it worked for us then and i would not change that. it saved our sanity

Yeah, I love other people's opinions on co-sleeping...like a hole in the head! My GF has just announced her pregnancy and it must be an immaculate conception...because her boy slept on his own for the first time last week!
    And the amount of people who don't own up to it because of their fear of public opinion - more of us co-sleep than admit to, anyway.
    Routine - I don't have a 'routine' in the common sense of the term, as in, things don't happen by a timeframe, rather by cues, no matter what the time is. Bedtime can be anytime, but it is always going to the same bedroom, same family bed, a feed and if a feed is finished before sleep arrives then either a burping to sleep session in a sling, or just lying with my eyes closed, arm around Oscar, gently patting his body (often with my boob still in mouth) and he follows suit. Mornings are varied in that he wakes, I feed, he goes back to sleep. I try to wait until he is properly asleep before removing myself from the bed and then have a shower and get some things done (prioritising the things I CAN'T do with him in the sling...like wax my legs, blow dry hair, boil eggs and eat them!). Sometimes, however, I fall asleep again so I just wait for the next hungry waking, feed and try again! Very, very rarely he won't go back to sleep in the morning so I just suck it up and spend the rest of his awake time unshowered...sometimes I just don't get round to it, but since he was born I have been able to manage a shower 99% of the time. Again, there's no time for being up and about, it's the cues that I provide him and that he provides me. I am happy and unstressed, enjoying my baby like I would never have believed possible AND unless he has been unwell, I always wake feeling rested.
    Good one for choosing co-sleeping That and BFing are the two loveliest things, huh?

lynnyp Guest

We co sleep and have done from birth with our daughter, she is now 2.5. We have just this week bought a single bed and have it between our queen bed and the wall. We think this will help in a gentle transition to her own bed and room and will give us more space in the heat of the summer. She sleeps now in her big girl bed but is welcome to still lie all over me when she is getting to sleep!

When I got those comments I told people it was a deliberate, conscious and well researched parenting decision and asked them their grounds for disapproval. It all boiled down to sex and spoiling!

Kaitlyn has been coming into our bed the last two weeks at about 4am and sleeping with us (about 1/2 dozen times). And man oh man does she sleep so much better!. She is sick and teething so I think she needs that little bit of extra comfort and I am ok with that.

I think every child and parent are different.

I never thought I would give co-sleeping a try before I had kids!!

Then along came my DS and he is a high-need child and he also fights sleep like anything. It has been a struggle most nights to get him to sleep and then to keep him asleep. Also when he was a newborn he needed to nurse every 2 hours just about around the clock and I was just getting really exhausted from the whole thing.

My dad and step-mom were visiting from the states in April and it was actually my dad who first suggested that I co-sleep with James and I really can't thank him enough for the suggestion. That first night was bliss and both James and I actually got a decent night sleep.

So our routine now is that James starts the night in his bed (which is right next to my side of the bed anyway) then whenever he wakes during the night I make the decision to re-settle him in his bed or to take him to bed with me. It always depends on how tired I am and whether or not James will settle back into bed on his own. Sometimes he snuggles right in and goes to sleep and other times he decides he needs his own space and doesn't settle until I put him back in his bed. We just go with the flow.

Early this morning was precious... I was feeding him in our bed and was still enough awake when he finished nursing to witness him detach, roll over (away from me) and cuddle up to my DH which was just sweet to see.

I have had a lot of guidance from Dr Sears website, Pinky McKay's book and also Elizabeth Pantley's book and I know this is what is best for our family. I think the most important thing for people to decide as far as co-sleeping is concerned is whether it is something they want to do, and it is also important to be in agreement with your partner as to whether or not to co-sleep, where and for how long. I'm thankful that my DH is understanding of James and his needs and is willing and happy to have him sleep in our room and also in our bed for as long as he needs.

So although there are MANY people out there who disagree with co-sleeping and are very willing to share their opinion with you - ignore them and decide to do what you feel is right for your child and your family. We are emotionally attached to these precious little angels we have been given and so we have to take that into account as well.

I'm just glad that there are websites, books, and chat rooms or forums out there that are supportive of our decisions and that we can seek out information, support and advice. In the grand scheme of things they are only babies for such a short time. I really can't believe that James is nearly 9 months old and sometimes I feel like I've missed out of really special, precious moments with him that I can never get back because I've been too busy sweating all the small stuff!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12