Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feedback please?

I have realised that he's actually pretty good at self-settling initially (he'll be asleep within 15 mins if I just keep putting that dummy back in!) - but he really hates the resettle!!
    Same with both of mine!! It was explained to me that the initial settling off to sleep is one milestone, the waking at the end of a sleep cycle, looking around and resettling is another milestone which is a bit more difficult and comes later (although some babies do this from birth - lucky mums!)

Initially I would race in as soon as I heard him wake, but after watching him at sleep school, I realised I was actually hindering the process by not allowing him time to try to resettle on his own and learn what he could do without help from me. So then I let him grizzle for a while ie not distressed or properly crying - it's very important to LISTEN to what your baby is telling you, he will let you know if he needs you and then you should respond straight away - it is building this trust in you that will allow him to feel secure enough to go to sleep on his own. Sometimes he would go back to sleep, others he would start to cry so I would go in, give him his dummy, shhhhhh, stroke his forehead then leave the room. Often this was enough (and now if I need to resettle this is all it takes), other times I would have to pat him, shhh, give him a cuddle till he settled and then pop him back in his cot and start the process again. 'They' say to persist with resettling for another sleep cycle, so between 20-40 mins. 40 mins was too stressful for me so I set the benchmark of 30 mins. If he hadn't resettled after that then realistically he wasn't going to and I'd get him up, feed him if it was time and then watch him for tired signs again. When I saw them, I'd put him back to bed.

Just remember not to get too stressed out thinking 'he hasn't resettled and hasn't slept enough today' - this was a mistake that I made and totally stressed myself out! It's a process, it's the repetition and consistency that's important.

It's just like any other skill you teach them - by doing it over and over again! Not much fun for mum sometimes but it does work!
    Last edited by Willow; March 5th, 2008 at 10:20 AM.

Ezz - I didn't do anything at the time that made her resettle.

Now when she wakes and we want her to go back to sleep, I put a hand on her tummy and her chest and either 'ssshhh' or 'Baa Baa Black Sheep'. During the day, I give her 15 minutes and if she hasn't gone back to sleep then I figure she's awake. Oernight, I do it for 30 minutes before feeding her.

YAY! DS had a 2 hour afternoon nap in the cot!!!! I heard him grizzle, then resettle himself - I didn't have to go in at all! I was downstairs, defrosting my fridge & praying that he would stay asleep & he did!! I was so excited I called DH to tell him!! It's the first decent sleep in the cot in over a week. I think it helped that I took down the mobile that was hanging over his ciot - I realised that he was staring at that rather than going to sleep.

Cally - Yeah, I think 15 mins is about my max too! (realistically, at the moment, once he's been unsettled for 5-10mins, he is unlikely to resettle unless I'm cuddling him)

Willow - Thanks for your encouragement . I do worry that he doesn't get enough sleep some days (which is why I end up holding him on the couch for two hours so at least he will sleep!)

That is so exciting Ezz!!

Trust me, BTDT and it is like winning lotto!! LOL.

I started the self-settling on Tuesday afternoon & had our first success Wed arvo. Have now had a successful day (Thurs) - DS did a 1 hour sleep in the morning, then 2 x 2hour day sleeps! Today seems to be going well so far too! Thank you everyone for your encouragement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12