Thread: Feeding to sleep and babysitters

Default Feeding to sleep and babysitters

I'm struggling with the idea of returning to work (it's not full day's work.. just go out to clients to do their books) as I'm worried about leaving Tallon with a sitter.. even DH. He only seems to settle with me, and even then most of the time it's with the boob!

Just wondering how other babies have managed when left with DH or even my mum will probably help out. Do they settle ok? Should I not feed him to sleep so much and get him used to settling perhaps with just a dummy?

Its a tricky one........I always BF both Olivia and Charlie to sleep, so whilst they were still on the boob, felt the same sense of panic at the thought of anyone else being able to settle them!!

Can you express & leave bottles of EBM? Then Tallon can be settled with a bottle of EBM perhaps?

How long will you be at your clients for?

Even now both Olivia and Charlie settle for me no problem, but not as well for Daddy or anyone else......made a rod for my own back! However, I know that they DO settle for other people, and certainly Charlie has been settled by my SIL from about 6 weeks, & so settles very well for her now. So I guess it is just what they get used to?

Best of luck!

Thanks. Yeah.. I plan to have EBM on hand for them. I guess we can only try. I'm usually at clients for about 2-3hrs at a time.. but with catchup stuff to do with having the baby and everything, I'll probably be a lot longer. I just hate the thought of him getting so distressed and then only settling coz he's worn himself out.

But yeah.. you're right.. I guess it's what they get used to. Altho you'd think he'd be used to DH by now! LOL.

If it is any consolation, Olivia is 2.5 and my DH is STILL reticent to put her to bed, becasue she doesn't settle as well for him.

Do you use any other sleepy time cues? Like music? Or a special sleeping bag, or a soft toy? I was just thinking that the reason my SIL can settle Charlie so well is because she does exactly what I do.....same music (Peacebaby) same sleeping bag, same grotty chewed plush doggy........you get the picture......so by association they know what comes next, rather than wearing themselves into a frazzle?

It is nerve wracking though........you have my sympathy.......

Do they have that kind of association at 3 months tho? So far (for his big sleep at night anyway) he's just wrapped, and we feed in his room with the light dimmed. No music or anything. Occassionaly DH will quietly read a story while he's feeding.

Matilda was settled when I went to work when she was 14 weeks. I started doing half days & DH would give her an EBM bottle. I think because of this start she learned to settle really well for DH using the bottle & would continue to bf & settle for me. In fact we started when she was 4 weeks old having an EBM bottle at night with DH so I could sleep through the first wake up. Now she settles best for him & not so much me...

Do they have that kind of association at 3 months tho?
    Honestly, I don't have any idea, it is just what worked for Olivia from about 4 months, so we did it for Charlie from birth.......I like to think it works for them, but who knows!!