Thread: Have I done something wrong?

Default Have I done something wrong?

Quinn up until last week was an angel baby, he slept through from 7pm till 6am and had 5 half hour naps during the day...... from last week he started night waking again once then twice then 3 times till last night he woke 6 times.
    He has also been more fussy during the day (though compared to some babies he is still amazing and today only napped 1.5 hours in total (3 half hour naps)
    We co-sleep and I feed on demand.....so have I done something wrong....my periods started last weekend has this thrown a spanner in the works?

Oh and he only gained 350gm last month but 4cm in length.... my dr and ECN were both happy with him though.

He is trying determinedly to roll front to back...is this one of those developmental/growth spurt thingy's??

I am over tired and probably over thinking things so please bear with me

Thanks Melissa

I have heard that AF changes the taste of your milk so that may be it or he is just going through another stge of development. You haven't done anything wrong hun, he is just growing up!

No you haven't done a single thing wrong. It is definitely a common age/developmental thing that happens at around 4 months of age. My DS was exactly your DS's age when he turned from being an angel baby to one that woke up numerous times overnight and was much more clingy and unsettled during the day. The good news is that it does pass. AF returning could definitely play a role too.

It will get better again

nOoooo you haven't done anything wrong! It is exactly the stage - and amazing how other mums with 3-4 mth olds are all going just as nuts! If you google "Wakeful 4 month old" you will come up with an article that should help understand the stage. It's the first link to come up, it really helped me. I don't think I can link it on BB - MODS I hope its ok to mention this?

I have a feeling Barb Glare may have put up a link here on BB to that (or very similar and equally good) article about 4 month olds.... It's somewhere on the Breastfeeding pages I think.... actually its on a thread titled "to start solids or not"....

It is possibly a combination of all the things you have thought of!

It's scary when they start to change and for some mums (like me...) it takes a while to learn to go with the flow.... It's been probably my biggest lesson (and its an ongoing one!!!)

All the best.

Thank you! The article you recommended was really helpful, Thankfully he only woke 3 times last night so I did get some extra sleep and feel much better for it this morning.

xxx Melissa

Yes- my bub (15 weeks old) has also started to do exactly what you described!!!!! Last week he kept waking up all night- wriggling out of his wrap. So I thought- time to stop wrapping. Well- he screamed & was very unhappy and it was just not working- so we went back to wrapping. But this week, all of a sudden he doesn't want to fall asleep wrapped- he wants his hand in his mouth!!!! Very confusing!!!!!
    I just keep thinking- wow he is learning so much so fast- this seems to help in the middle of the night when I get up for the umpteenth time- it's not like he's doing it on purpose- there IS a reason behind it!!!!

I also agree with what KymH said about going with the flow- that's been the hardest thing so far for me......but hopefully I'm getting there

Good luck & let's hope it passes soon......