Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vbac that did go wrong!

Default Vbac that did go wrong!

Hi everyone,
    I really do not want to put anyone off a vbac but sometimes things do not go well. My second pregnancy was one of those, I just want people to be aware. It was always made out to be so easy if things started to go wrong.
    I had a c-section with my first baby due to failure to progress, and with our second baby all went well and I was just told that if things did not look good they would take me down for a c-section!! Well my uterus did rupture after about 9 hours of labour and at 7cms things went tragically wrong. My uterus had ruptured and my darling baby girls head had pushed into my stomach cavity. Sadly she did not make it and I was very close to death due to the huge loss of blood.
    I can let people know much more detail if you want, I have my story which I wrote for SANDS (stillbirth and neonatal death support) on my computer if anyone wants it.
    We have gone on to have another baby which was a very risky one and he was delivered by c-section at 33 weeks due to complications from the rupture and the fact that this time I also had grade 4 placenta praevia.
    Please do not be put off but be aware of the huge loss when you are that % that goes wrong.
    If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks Nikki

Hi Nikki

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm terribly sorry to hear about your loss.

I am one of the people on here that are going for a VBAC, and I am aware of the percentage of people that have something that goes wrong. I'm also aware of the risks associated with another c-section, so I figure there is risk attached to everything that we do, and the baby has to get out somehow!!!

Its good to hear from someone who has been through the worst to get some perspective, so again, thank you for coming forward and telling your story.

Take care.

sorry for your loss. what a sad story.

Good on you for posting and talking about it.

Every side of a story should be told, when making any decision in life it is important to be well informed of the risks and possible complications and then make an informed decision.

again, i am so sorry it didn't go so well for you.
    Last edited by Junglemum; May 19th, 2008 at 08:21 PM. Reason: sp

I am so terribly sorry for the loss of your baby. I can only imagine the incredible trauma. Thankyou for sharing your story with us.

Thankyou, I hope things go well for you. I do know a few people that did have a sucessful vbac. I know it is not very common but it went wrong so quickly that there was no time and due to the fact that I had had an epidural as well I was unaware of the initial pain. I do know that at the hospital where it happened they have implemented new guide lines for vbac. I did not even have an iv line in and they even had to shave me before I was taken to theatre, all the while I am screaming in absolute agony and begging them to knock me out.
    I'm sure things will go well but if you even think something is not right let them know.
    Thanks again
    Nikki

Nikki,

Sweety I am so sorry for your loss babe, what a tragedy. I hope that your heart is a little healed with the new little man.

Can I ask what the gap was between your first c/s and attempted VBAC? Sorry but I am considering VBAC for my next baby and want to know all I can so i can make an informed decision.

HUgs and many thanks for sharing your story sweety,
    Lisa

Nikki, thank you for sharing your story. I'm terribly sorry to hear about your loss of your baby.

Seriously, it's so good that you shared this side of VBAC. It must be so hard to read the posts supporting it and think - yes but! that's not what happened to me. Posts like yours are part of why I think BB is such a powerful force - information for women, to be empowered and informed.

I too was born by VBAC (a l-o-o-o-ong time ago) and I was born extrauterine. Fortunately both my mother and I made it, but it was a close call, and of course no more siblings after that for me. I had hoped things had changed since then, I think mostly they have, but obviously still alot of learning on the hospital's side to learn. I hope you may gain some very small relief in knowing that your experience may save another baby (at that hospital) and that your little boy helps you go on and brings you happiness.

Hi, I had my first DS in Sept 2002 and Lilli (VBAC) was born full term on 18/04/05. So this was not a short time really. The rupture was the entire length of my previous scar plus it also tore down towards my cervix. At first they told me I would not be able to have anymore, but after long talks etc I was allowed to try again. So we have another cheeky DS. I was probably like most others who had not had a natural birth and so desperatley wanting it, now I just feel that being able to walk out of hospital with your baby is much more important. Make the dessicion that is right for you and good luck.
    Thanks so much Nikki

paradise lost Guest

Thankyou for posting your story nikkialma, it is so important for people to realise that no matter how small the chances of a rupture are, the fact that the rupture risk is NOT 0% means that Real women, Real babies, DO suffer that trauma. A statistical risk still has a name, a face.

It's also wonderful of you to share details such as the iv not being in and you having an epidural which mean that potential VBACers can make more informed decisions about their pain relief options and allow them to check out their obs VBAC protocol from a more informed POV.

I'm so sorry your little girl didn't make it, and so glad your uterus was able to be repaired well enough for you to have your little boy.

Thanks again hun.

Bx

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Nikki,

Thank-you for sharing your story, I second what all the others have said, trauma is trauma and just because you had a VBAC doesnt mean you cant share it, so thank-you. :hugs: Small risks are rare, but do happen - its important to know this. I had a client who had an induction and she ended up with a hysterectomy as the bleeding didnt stop. This is rare, but it happened and affected her and we spent much time talking about it and helping her through it.

A question: did you have a classical c/s or a LUSCS? From what you describe with the way it tore, it sounds like a classical (but may not be, interested to know) as classical scars are more likely to tear and I know some Obs wont recommend a VBAC if you have a classical scar. These days a classical c/s is rarely done, instead a luscs.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; May 20th, 2008 at 07:42 AM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Hi, No I had the LUSCS. I was a ideal candidate to do a trial of scar, everything went so well throughout the pregnancy. One thing I will say is that from the first onset of labour it was very painful, nothing like the 19 hrs of labour with 1st DS. I even remember saying to my husband after 2 hrs I think I should just have a c/s as it was so painful.
    You can only look back now and see how different it felt, as at the time you just want to give birth the " real way"!
    thanks Nikki

paradise lost Guest

You can only look back now and see how different it felt, as at the time you just want to give birth the " real way"!
    Did your carers talk to you about your higher pain levels? I only know a few VBACers in real life but their care providers constantly asked them questions like "where is the pain?", "is the pain continuous or only with the contractions?", "describe the pain, is it burning or sharp?", "does the pain make you feel nauseus" etc. etc. I guess sometimes there isn't a way to know what is going on, as labours can feel different even within normal situations. Even in my (non VBAC, home) birth the MW asked me pain questions to ascertain how deep into labour i was and that i wasn't having an abruption. I hope you don't mind answering all these questions!

Bx

Yes I was always asked about any pain especially lower pain even throughout the pregnancy. I was given the epidural in the end because i kept getting the urge to push which I naturally did. But I was not ready it was far too early, I guess it was more painfull from the start but more like the later stages of labour. Not in a particular area.
    I know it is such a difficult thing and some people will not be happy that I have put this thread on the site but hey it happened to me and you might be told that if things start to go wrong they will just take you for an e c/s. Well if you rupture the blood supply can cut of instantly to your baby and if the c/s is not done quick enough then the result is devistating.
    Nikki

I can't really say what the pain was like when I actually ruptured because I had had an epidural, I felt nothing to begin with, it was DD heart rate that sent the room into caos. But believe me the pain soon started and at one point I looked down at my belly and it had changed shape due to the fact that DD head had pushed through the rupture. If you don't have an epidural it may be better as you would be aware sooner.
    I don't mind answering any questions, if it helps anyone make a desicion. I know I made mine at the time and no one could have changed it!!!

Nikki hun, you are so brave to share your story and answer all the questions. I hope you don't feel like you shouldn't have posted here, because I think your experience is a very valuable one for our members. You shouldn't be afraid to share your experience and I commend you for helping others with their decision making.

Big, big hugs to you hun. I am so sorry for your loss.

Nikki, your story absolutely breaks my heart, what a horrifying thing to go through, I'm so so sorry you lost your little princess. I had a VBAC last November and it was extremely difficult, harder than I thought it would be but I'm glad I did it. It is scarey though to hear a "real" story of when it all go wrong. Oh dear, I'm just so sad for you.

thanks for putting light on this Nikki, I appreciate your story and respect you for putting it out for us to help other women make informed decisions ....

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast