Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long was your baby wrapped to sleep?

belmarks Guest

Hi Rachel, I would be interested in that pattern, I will email you if that's ok....

They're little duffas aren't they!

Coby has finally gone without being wrapped just yesterday afternoon and today, I have just been putting a sheet over him.

He is such a hot baby that I can't even put a suit on him, he's nude all the time!! 8-[

~bec~ Guest

My Son was wrapped until he was ten months old (a long time... i know) But he was a HORRIBLE sleeper and it was the only way we could get him to go to sleep. We spent a month gradually lossening the wrap and by eleven months he was sleeping in a sleeping bag and was sleeping through the night!!!!!!

Debbie Lee Guest

I don't think 10 months is a long time, Bec. Just from what people have said here, I think it's really up to the baby.
    Gabby sleeps soooo well when she is wrapped. Half the time I just have to wrap her, put her down and I don't hear a peep out of her for a couple of hours!
    The way I figure it, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    I'll worry about trying to get her to sleep unwrapped once her motor skills are more developed (which will hopefully coincide with the warmer weather).

Aaron knew as soon as he was wrapped that it was time to sleep, i didn't have any problems with him and he was wrapped up until he was about 8 months.
    Corey will be 9 weeks tomorrow and he is the same as Aaron, he knows once he is wrapped it's time to sleep. Corey is happy to sleep unwrapped too, whereas Aaron didn't settle very well unless he was wrapped. So i'd say each baby is different, some like to be wrapped and some don't.

Maddy hated being wrapped & so I gave up in week 1, but Indah slaps herself in the face & pulls massive handfuls of her own hair in her sleep & wakes herself up screaming, so in last 3wks I have started wrapping her, she is a hot baby too, so I use some of our Bali sarongs, she doesn't really like it either, but it's better than pulling your own hair & slapping yourself!? ](*,)

layla Guest

My kids all hated being wrapped. Sarah will only sleep if she has her hands behind her head!
    However, I have a friend whose 9 month old still needs to be wrapped to sleep!
    I guess they are all different.

Tracey, good to "see" you. I'll catch up with you in another thread.

My first DD was wrapped until 10 months. My second DD didn't like being wrapped at all.

Sweetie Guest

My bub was wrapped until she was about 16 months I did find that once I gave wrapping the flick she started to settle better at night and sleep thought the night

But she did love it while it lasted....

Mary 8-)

Debbie Lee Guest

Gabby slept her first night unwrapped last night!
    I was speaking to one of the girls at my MG, and she was telling me how she managed to get her son to stop being wrapped at night.
    She started putting him in a sleeping bag just for his overnight sleep. She said it was easier to do it this way with him because he was more tired and didn't fight sleep as much as he did during the day.
    I thought I would give it a go because the few times that I had tried Gabby during the day, she would just play or cry (throwing the dummy out of the cot, kicking up to the end of the cot and hitting her head etc.).
    So I gave it a go last night and she went to sleep ok. I still had to get up a few times to put the dummy back in (she's been very dummy-hungry since her top teeth started coming through) and I had to pick her up once because she wouldn't settle (which never happens - must have been the fact that her arms were out).
    She woke up for good at 6am when she normally sleeps until 8-9am when wrapped. Still, I figure it's probably going to take a bit of getting used to. I think Neil having a shower woke her up. When she's wrapped, she just goes back to sleep but I guess it's all pretty new to have the arms out and about at that time of morning.
    So I'll keep plugging away at it. I'll still wrap her during the day for a couple of weeks and then try to slowly get her used to sleeping without being wrapped. It will be nice not to have to do it anymore but I want her to be ready. She is crawling now but still won't roll from back to front. It's bizarre! If I put her on her back, she won't even try to roll over - she'd rather just crack it until I pick her up, LOL.

We went cold turkey - no wrap and straight from basinette to cot all in one go at 10 weeks! How cruel! But he was fine and has been okay (now 13 weeks) up until this week, but I don't think it's due to not wrapping.

It's interesting to read everyone else's responses, just goes to show that every baby is different.

James also used to spend too much time getting out of the wrap which just got him more and more awake, then as soon as an arm came out ... woo hoo party time! But now that he has them all the time they are not such a novelty!

Pearl

Lee-Ann Guest

I have basically stopped wrapping Regan tightly as she kicks her way out of the wrap anyway. I will put a blanket (or muslin wrap) around her and tuck her in tightly in her bed. But she seems to sleep ok not being wrapped now and she too likes sleeping with her hands up around her face and head.

Jade ONeil Guest

I have the same problem with Joseph. I'll try to explain this as best I can: try turning the sheet so that the corner is at the top, then fold the corner down a couple of times to make it a straight edge. It makes the sheet wide enough to wrap them properly.

Hope that makes sense.

chantelle is nearly 3 months and likes to be wrapped still
    nikki

Debbie Lee Guest

We had our first sleep-through whilst unwrapped last night! Yay! I was half expecting to be up 3 or 4 times (once again :roll but I wasn't woken until 8am!! Woo hoo! Here's hoping it's gonna stay that way!

i agree Debbie the muslin wraps are not good for wrapping especially with my Marnie as she is so strong - even at 3 1/2 weeks! I bought cotton stretchy wraps from Target and they seem to work if i then wrap that with the mualin over the top of it because she gets out of the stretchy one - i hope that makes sense - thank goodness for air conditioning or else she would be extremely hot!

Debbie Lee Guest

As of today, Gabby is no longer wrapped!
    Yesterday when I put her down for one of her naps, she managed to get one arm out so I left it. She was asleep within 2 minutes so that indicated to me that, perhaps, she was ready to sleep unwrapped all the time and not just at night. So, this morning, I put her to bed without wrapping her (just put a blanket over the top of her and tucked it in) and she slept for 2 hours without any hassle. Yay!
    It seems the "slow and steady" approach with Gabby really works. Just a little at a time until she gets used to it.
    It will be good not to have to worry about bringing a blanket or a sheet with me wherever I go!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12