Thread: Normal for 3 months?

? have to consult the road map on my stomach...

Default Normal for 3 months?

Just wondering if DS is pretty normal... usually he has 3 naps during the day, but wakes up after one sleep cycle and I have to resettle him or he gets grumpy. Some nights he'll sleep for 5-6 hours at a time (unfortunately before midnight, but hey, I'll take what I can get) and then wakes 4hrly for his feeds after midnight, but last night he woke every 2 hours or so. A few nights ago he slept 10hours straight! I try to do the same things each evening to get him ready for sleep, but so far the longest consistency in his sleeping pattern has been 3 nights - is it normal for them to chop and change so much at this age?

Yup.

Oh yeah it's normal! Story of my life right now!

Sure is! Your DS sounds almost identical to mine at that age (except he's NEVER slept longer that 5.5 hours!).

He's a lot more consistent now during the day (and no longer wakes after one sleep cycle he sleeps for minimum 1 and a bit hours now, most of the time 1.5, sometimes 2), but nights vary.

With DD I found it wasn't until 7-8 months that I knew I could put her down at 6.30pm/7pm and I wouldn't hear from her till 7am the next morning. Up until then, I never knew from night to night whether she'd sleep through or not.
    Last edited by Willow; March 17th, 2008 at 11:55 AM.

Agree with what the others have said.....Sam has just hit 6 months now. For the past 3 nights she has slept for 12 hrs - but last night i was up at 3am with her for a quick feed.
    I dont think you can ever be sure when you have children as to what the middle of the night may bring......

for us it was around the 10 month mark that things started to become predictable overnight..... and once it happens its BLISS!!! hang in there it will happen...

? have to consult the road map on my stomach...

Get a load of the irony in the situation - I borrowed Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution from the local library to read up out of interest, not actually unhappy with things at the time, and the next night it started! Last night he woke up every hour between 11 and 2 and then again at 5 and 7... coincidence is incredible...should have just left the book on the shelf!