Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please don't send me to the looney bin.......

Unhappy Please don't send me to the looney bin.......

I feel so guilty. DS has always been wrapped for his sleeps, he knows being wrapped means it's time to go to sleep. 90% of the time I then rock him to sleep before he settles beautifully in his cot. The other 10% he settles on his own.

As he's now 6.5 months, rolling around, and it's getting warmer etc I've been sort of trying to wean him off wrapping. So he's had two or three sleeps without the wrap. But that's only because he settled in his cot on his own.

Today has been quite warm, so I wrapped him in a sarong, only to find him on his tummy. This was this afternoon. So I decided the wrap had to go. OMG, what a night. He has screamed for much of it, and has only settled 20 minutes ago! It's so unlike him. I got so frustrated, I put him in his cot where he cried for a couple of minutes. I was right next to him, but I feel so bad. I never let him cry, and the poor little man was SO upset. I feel like my head is going to burst.

I've always subscribed to the 'whatever works' theory, but tonight, nothing's working! If anyone has any tips or ideas as to how I can peacefully get rid of the wrap I would be eternally grateful

Chalalan Guest

No idea Sezjm, but hope you're doing ok...just responding really to let you know that you're not alone and there's someone listening...even if I can't help.

Good luck.

Aww hun just wanted to say :hugs: hope you got some sleep . I don't have any advise here because we lost the wrap at 8 weeks for a sleeping bag, but just wondering if it was just because of the heat that he was so unsettled last night? Izzy got up for her feed at 3 and then 20 minutes later was still grizzly and so I fed her again. Hope someone gives you some brilliant advise chicky.

Sez, what about a gro bag or similar sleeping bag?? They are temperature controlled, so you could get one of the light weight summer ones, just put a nappy and singlet underneath so he doesn't overheat??

That way he may still feel a bit swaddled and snug.

I was just going to suggest a sleeping bag as well.... the light weight ones are great. Jovie's only just started to be happy outside the sleeping bag but sometimes I wrap a muslin wrap around her legs to help her...

sez i have a few summer sleeping bags if you'd like to try nicky in them!! they are pink but im sure he wont mind!! pm me if needed!!!

What about wrapping him loosely or even using his wrap as a cover so he still has the routine?
    Also have you tried one of thise anti-roll thingies (lol... can't think of what they are called).

Tanya

Oh Sez, you poor thing. What a rough night.
    I feel for you because I know that in a few weeks/months time I am going to be in that exact same position! And at the moment I cannot see how Laila is EVER going to sleep without it. As it is now when we wrap her she sometime manages to sneak out an arm, and when she does this then there is no chance of her going to sleep by herself as she fusses and rubs her eyes until she cries, or if she has a dummy during the day she wacks it out then wants it again..it is so frustrating.
    All the sleeping bags sound like good ideas and maybe if we find the right one for our bubs then losing the wrap is possible!

I really hope that Nicholas starts settling beautifully without it in no time at all matey

Sorry for the unhelpful post!

I'd suggest a sleeping bag too.........

Although.......I weaned Lexie of her wrap by just letting her sleep with it......she is not wrapped in it, but she sleeps with what is now a pretty gross old muslin wrap which she chews and snuggles up to........(she has done with since she was about 7 months..........)

GOOD LUCK! xx

Thanks everyone

I had thought of a sleeping bag, but dismissed the idea as it's really his arms that are the problem. However, seeing that the overwhelming majority think it's a good idea, it sounds like I should try it! Thanks Jols, I might have to take you up on that offer. He looks beautiful in pink LOL

Lucy, a friend suggested that to me this morning, apparently that's what they were told to do at sleep school and it worked for them. Again, I had thought of that, but was worried about him pulling it across his face . It sounds like it might be our best shot though.

The sleep positioner is a good idea, but can you use it when bubs is wrapped? I think half the problem is the type of wrap I use. Normally he has a flanellette wrap, and he stays perfectly still while asleep, only occasionally moving his head. If I use any other type of material (when it's hot) he manages to wriggle out of it, or roll over, which freaks me out.

Thanks for your thoughts ladies, I appreciate it. I have a feeling this is going to be a bumpy road! You might see me in here again

sez i also have some huge muslin wraps if you'd also like to borrow!! there 1.8x2 metres i think!!

sez have been thinking, try the sleeping bag which is .5 tog and wrap him so he slowly gets the sleeping bag as his sleep association, slowly wean him off the wrap

BBL
    Last edited by Olive; November 18th, 2007 at 06:01 PM.

Either a sleeping bag or co-sleeping
    Co-sleeping regulates baby's temp and if you are both hot, you just sleep disentangled and baby knows you are just there. Generally, Oscar gets warmer quicker than we do and will hang his feet over the edge of the bed to cool off, whilst keeping a hand on the boob. He sleep on my side, so he's definitely not getting too hot from body heat. And because he knows I'm right there, he doesn't wake even half way for a feed in the middle of the night, he just stirs, attaches and falls back asleep so that I get a restful sleep, too

We co-sleep about half of the night. I can't do it all the time, it's just not for me, I wouldn't enjoy it then. He still does wake when he's with us, but only for feeds. And he won't settle in our bed unless he's already asleep or he has a BF.

Oh, well, someone else with similar issues may read this and find the co-sleeping idea useful to them I figure it can't hurt to throw it 'out there'.

Enchanted Guest

Not sure if this would work Sez but have you tried or thought of loosely wrapping Nicholas so he feels secure when he goes to sleep but can get his arms out if he wants to roll over.. Just a thought?!?

I'm going through the same thing with my DS at the moment, I'm trying to wean him off it. We've always wrapped and then fed to sleep, however, yesterday he wouldn't have a bar of being wrapped at all! I guess when they're ready they'll go without it. I've still tried wrapping him and once he is asleep and in his cot I've loosened the wrap so he can get his hands out if he wants to, he'll usually rub his eyes and then leave his little hands up near his face, it's very cute!

It was suggested to me to wrap with the arms out. They still get the secure feeling, but they can move and suck their thumbs or whatever. I found it worked, but it took a while because she'd wake herself if she was too jerky in her movements. I think no matter what u do, it will take some time for bubs to adapt..... Hope u find an answer that works for u soon and u can get some quality sleep again honey!

Okay, I decided to continue wrapping him, but just very loosely with muslin. He was getting himself all hot and bothered crying because he wasn't wrapped, so I figured he may as well be wrapped and be asleep. As for the rolling, I've been watching him closely to see what he does, and with the muslin, he just wiggles his way out of it, and then rolls around the cot when he wakes up. So far so good. I'll keep watching him, but I think he's coordinated/strong enough now that the SIDS risk is significantly lowered.

I'm happy to keep wrapping him because he really likes it, and it's his arms waving about that is the problem. If I can even get him to sleep without a wrap, 9 times out of 10 he's rubbing his eyes and waking himself up.

Caro, thanks so much for the offer sweets. If I decide to use a sleeping bag in the future I will email you about those UK ones. Thanks for offering to do it for me too, that's really lovely of you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast