Thread: Won't go down unless already asleep

Default Won't go down unless already asleep

My DD has gone from being a beautiful sleeper - first sign of tiredness I could put her down in her cot, she's gurgle and smile at me and then go to sleep - to not getting herself to sleep in her cot at all. She screams the place down. As soon as I pick her up she falls asleep almost immediately in my arms. After a few minutes I try to put her down again and the second she hits the mattress she wakes up screaming. I've never done CC and I don't want to start now but its starting to get really frustrating and I think she's now old enough (6 months) to be manipulating me a bit. Its taking hours to get her to bed at night, whereas before she was guaranteed to be asleep within 30 minutes of bed time.

Any ideas ladies?

ETA - Just wanted to add that she sleeps beautifully when she's actually asleep. Self settles throughout the night so I rarely have to get up to her at all, and then only if she's hungry or having teething problems.
    Last edited by LuluHB; November 9th, 2007 at 05:55 PM.

you may find she is getting teeth this has always changed my good sleepers into grumpy ones, dont know what to do about apart from keep cuddling her or letting her cry like they did on super nanny iykwim just lay her down keep a hand on her until she sleeps and then take it away afew nights later but just sit with her in a dark room and just keep moving away, but if it is teeth then she may just need nurofen of bonjela.

I found my Pip did this - he now only self-settles on his tummy. If she's rolling over, try that?

Yep tummy sleeper here too. Sari only has dramas with going to sleep or a few wake ups for a quick cuddle when she is either having a growth spurt or teething, Go the panadol

Actually yeah, panadol, bonjella or em-33 gel and a dummy out of the fridge before bed.

is she close to crawling at all?? often fussiness occurs right before a major milestone

Oh god Blake has just started being a bad sleeper again, please tell me he isn't going to start walking!!!

ashlee i had the most probl;ems with day sleeps with sophie from 9-12 monnth, inbetween crawling and walking!!! much better now!!

Waaaaaaaaaaaaa he is only just under 8 months, an avid crawler but I'm not ready for him to walk. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo LOL he is pulling himself up and walks when I hold his hands. oh dear oh dear.

lulu
    hi!
    I would put her in her cot and stay with her until she falls asleep .
    It probably took us a good week to get out of the fall asleep next to or in our arms and it was painful and long but we both stuck with it. and wouldnt pick her up so she learnt that the cot is where she falls asleep.

If you give in she is just getting what she wants and will never break the cycle.

We do controlled crying and it works a treat, she now falls asleep within 5 minutes of beingin her cot day or night.... although i think i felt some teeth coming today... so we will see how the next few nights pan out... poor little darling@