Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: * Caffeine & Fertility

Exclamation * Caffeine & Fertility

Dont know if anyone saw it, there was a small article in Sunday's Paper re coffee and TTC.

Apparently they have proven that coffee actually stops the egg from embedding into the womb. They proved this by injecting coffee into rats (poor little buggers! )

They did say that it affects women who drink a lot of coffee, so hopefully the one cup a day i have is ok ( it is my one sanity!!).

They did also say that if you have a partner who drinks a lot of coffee and combines that with alcohol and cigarettes, your chances of egg not embedding into womb are a lot greater.

Waiting Guest

Yes, I read that article too.

It did not mention how much is too much though!

I was wondering if my 1 cup of Espresso coffee was too much???

I know waiting, how annoying is that! I dont think our one cup a day would be too much, I think they said large amounts, so I reckon that would be 3 0r 4 cups a day maybe?

My mum, when she was working, would have about 10 - 15 cups of tea/coffee a day. This was largely because she did home help work and every time she would go to an old dear's place, they really just wanted someone to talk to.

Then she'd come home and have her 'normal' cuppas.

So THAT'S a lot.

I don't think 1 -2 cuppas a day matters.

Hayseed

woah, that is a lot Hayseed, your mum woulda been bouncing of the walls! :smt046

Waiting Guest

OMG, if I had that much coffee, my nerves would be all a shaking. Sometimes if I have 2 coffees, I get like that!! 8-[

belmarks Guest

I have heard very similar things to that article. I have heard that the caffeine can stop your pregnancy from developing due to the fact that coffee dehydrates you.

Anyway, caffeine's not good for you so you probably should avoid it. I have given it up while Im TTC. Just in case, you never know!! [-X

Default Caffeine and fertility

Hello!
    Does anyone know what effect caffeine has on fertility??? I have been pretty good with alcohol, but I'm having trouble giving up the coffee!!
    jleigh dust:

Hi jleigh

Research shows that 1 cup of strong coffee can reduce your chance of getting pregnant by as much as 10%. The more coffee that you have the less chance you have of getting pregnant.

Default Caffeine and fertility

Thanks Alan!
    It didn't take much effort to give up the alcohol... I'll just have to try a little harder with the coffee!!!
    :smt023 Thanks again!!

Does coffee also affect fertility of a man??

Hi Karina

Coffee is suposed to increase the fertility of a man but decrease how long the sperm live

Chrissiegee Guest

Default caffeine

Hi there

In one of the books I have on conception is says that having up to 4 cups of coffee per day will decrease your fertility by about 24%.
    I try to only drink decaffinated now. I'll try anything!

Chrissie

Here is a thread all about it

What sort of effect does caffeine have on his fertility, if any, like sperm count or how long they live for, how fast they move...? I dont drink tea, coffee, coke... so i dont really have any ceffeine but DH loves his coffee and coke and has a few coffes/cokes everyday.
    I think I asked that same question somewhere else, but i cant find it now.

Are they talking about the strong coffee shop coffees or the DIY at home coffee.? I used to be very bad, but since TTC have cut down. Although on my little FF chart i have put excess coffee down as more than 4 cups. On average i usually have 2 cups per day.

Now, there was a study done by coffee growers in Brazil that said coffee boost sperm... but then, I guess there's a vested interest there. I've had to cut out all caffine since Saturday so now have decaff in the mornings (sorry, hot fruit juice in the morning tastes wrong). However, if I want DH to show a bit of interest in me IYKWIM then I need to give him a mug of coffee in bed in the morning. He's a lot more of a morning person than a night one, unless I get his alcohol dose right!

When I lived at my mum's, she has about 10-12 cups a day and I had to seriously go cold turkey just to cut down on my coffee bills when I went to Uni! She's always been a coffee fiend, but at least my aunt can't have caffine either so I can have decaff should I visit her now. Just don't want to have to explain why LOL - TTC is a better excuse than "because my homeopath said so", but I don't want to give either of those!

I wonder if caffeine effects male fertility and sperm quality?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast