Thread: * Coffee & sperm

Default * Coffee & sperm

I just found out that when men drink coffee it makes thier faster, stronger and capable of swimming further. I geuss caffiene is a performance enhancing drug after all

Melinda Guest

Really!? I've never heard that before....interesting!

Ha! News to me, too....

Have been told that is bad for a woman who is ttc though. But mind you doc did say that I would prefer you to drink coffee over coke...

DH will be happy to oblige I imagine!

i have heard that in the long run excessive coffee consumption can have a bad effect but a cup of coffee just before can give the little guys a bit of a boost...

jess127 Guest

mmm interesting about this.... i'm sure DH would be ok with this though...

I have heard about this too. Actually it was mentioned on the documentary "In the womb".!! Plus zinc helps mens little guys go too!!

We've been of the impression that caffeine was best avoided for both me and DH.

Makes me feel a bit better about DH breaking our no-caffeine rules a little lately. hehe. (must admit.. I've had the odd cuppa myself when I go to client's.. coz they don't stock decaf!!)

Melinda Guest

I've heard about the zinc too Kazz. And eggs.......get those eggs into your men! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by AJ
    i have heard that in the long run excessive coffee consumption can have a bad effect but a cup of coffee just before can give the little guys a bit of a boost...
    This is in a book I've got. 1 - 2 cups of strong coffee about 20mins before BD can give them a jump start. It is recommended if you are trying for a boy that is especially helpful to the fast moving male spermies.

Default Caffiene & Sperm

Hello,
    I'm just curious if anyone has info on the possible effects caffiene can have on sperm & a mans' ability to conceive. :-k
    My DH & I were flicking the channels last night & missed a bit on A Current Affair about caffiene being responsible for lowering the birthrate in Australia over the past two decades.
    We have been TTC for 10 months & he's a coke & coffee drinker. (I'm allergic to the stuff so I don't have it at all)
    At this stage I'm still holding 10yrs of the pill primarily responsible for my failure to conceive but what are the other major possibilities?

Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me.

Cheers
    Dragonfly

DJ Guest

Hi dragonfly,

I had always thought that caffiene was not good for either partner who where TTC (even though I know heaps of people who drink coffee / coke and have never had problems falling pregnant). I quickly did a google search on caffeine and sperm production and found this extract from an untitled Australian Document:

Caffeine
    Large research studies have been undertaken in Europe and the USA to ascertain whether coffee consumption is related to infertility. The results however are conflicting and difficult to interpret. The authors of one study concluded that a high level of coffee consumption is associated with an increased risk of delayed conception. One study found that as little as one cup of coffee per day was enough to increase the time taken to get pregnant. Another study of nearly 3000 women found that coffee consumption was not associated with infertility. Other studies have shown 2-3 cups of coffee per day is associated with an increased risk of miscarriage during early pregnancy.
    Very little is known about the impact of coffee consumption on semen quality, although in vitro studies have demonstrated that caffeine can enhance sperm motility. There is little evidence that coffee can improve the fertilizing capacity of sperm. In men who drink coffee and smoke, deleterious effects on sperm motility and vitality have been observed.
    The article is interesting. Try consulting your doctor too to guage there opinion. I guess we just need to make our own informed decisions. Best of luck with TTC.

Deb

From my research I've found that long term high caffeine consumption can be bad for fertility for both males and females.
    But for someone who doesn't drink a lot of the stuff a strong cup of coffee up to 1/2 hour before BDing can give the sperm a boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammi-j
    From my research I've found that long term high caffeine consumption can be bad for fertility for both males and females.
    But for someone who doesn't drink a lot of the stuff a strong cup of coffee up to 1/2 hour before BDing can give the sperm a boost.
    I should tell DH to only have a cup when im about to "O"..

Fee Guest

From what I've read I thought it was bad for the woman to be having caffeine before TTC and during pregnancy ... but ... that caffeine was good for the man's sperm. :-k

I have also heard that caffeine is good for mens sperm. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I am sure I heard in the documentary "In the womb" (that was aired on Foxtedl) that it says caffeine help men's sperm to become faster!!! I remember thinking I was going to get rob to drink cups of it when we were TTCing.

I know it can hinder a woman's chance of conception drinking too much coffee but not for men.

Thanks for those replies.
    Sounds like what we heard on TV was another bunch of hype.

Thanks again

Dragonfly