Thread: * Shettles Method

Exclamation * Shettles Method

Hey there

I found this site whilst researching the Shettles Method so I thought I'd put the question out there.

Can anyone tell me of their own experiences succesful or not or that of someone they know. I know of someone that sucessfully had two girls after three boys in a row using this method. (Yes Five kids bless her).
    I have two beautiful boys and want another baby and want to improve my chances of conceving a girl. I am a realist and would love another boy just the same.

Thanks Luv Sam

Dont really know what this particular method entails....?

Keen

Sam, I'll send Trish over to have a chat with you. She has 3 boys & is pregnant with a little girl this time round after using either Shettles or Billings (can't remember which!).

Jackie Guest

Hi Sam

I have tried it, wanted a boy first and got one. Could just have been luck, but I did time bd the day before and the day of ovulation and no bd for about a week before. So I guess if you are going to try this it would meen bd about 3 days I think before O and then refrain from further bd. I'm not sure if it's okay to post a link to another site here....

Umm, moderator ladies, would this be okay ??

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I published the Shettles Method on the main site, here's the article since it's down:

The Shettles Method

Gender selection has long been a topic of debate for various reasons, both for credibility and moral issues. While some methods claim to be highly successful, they often disregard other methods, claiming their own to be more accurate.

We believe the most desired outcome from conception is a healthy baby, no matter which gender. Gender selection should not rule your attempts at conception - some Shettles methods can even decrease the chance of conception due to timing.

Please note that the information below on the Shettles Method has been included due to popular request and is for reference only. It is not guaranteed to give you the desired gender you are trying for.

Introduction

Since the 1960s, Dr. Shettles has recommended gender selection methods which he claims is upheld by scientific evidence. The Shettles Method has the advantages of bearing no cost and requiring no medical treatments to conceive.

As you may know, men produce two types of sperm which already contain the sex chromosome, pre-determining the sex of the baby-to-be. The X chromosome being female and Y chromosome being male. Dr. Shettles found from his studies that the male sperm are smaller, weaker and faster than the female sperm, which are bigger, stronger and slower. Therefore he was able to come to the following suggestions to help couples try and choose the sex of their baby.

Timing

The most important factor according to the Shettles Method is the timing of intercourse.

The closer to ovulation that you have intercourse, the higher the likelihood that you will have a boy, since they are the faster of the two types of sperm, therefore likely reach the egg first. If you would like a boy, intercourse should take place during times of peak fertile mucus or no more than 12 hours before ovulation (you can detect ovulation through charting, OPK's etc). If you chart and have a temperature dip, this is a good time to have intercourse or the following morning. You can also have intercourse for a boy when peak mucus changes into thicker mucus.

If you were to have intercourse two to four days prior to ovulation, the higher the likelihood that you will have a girl. This is because the female sperm live for much longer than the male sperm, allowing more female sperm to be able to reach the egg. So if you would like a girl, avoid having intercourse during times of your peak fertile mucus (egg white cervical mucus) which would be more conducive for a boy. By following the Shettles Method, there is less chance of achieving female conception as you are not having intercourse during your peak fertile times. So if pregnancy is more important to you than having a girl baby, Shettles may not be for you.

Vaginal pH

Shettles tells us that an acidic environment favours girls, killing the weaker male sperm first. This leaves a greater number of X sperm to reach the egg.

The ideal time to have sex for a boy is when the vaginal environment becomes alkaline, which is on the day you ovulate.

Abstinence

For a boy, you should not have intercourse for 4-5 days prior to ovulation, earlier than that you should use a condom.

For a girl, Shettles recommends daily intercourse from the end of your period until 2-4 days prior to ovulation, then no intercourse 2-3 days after ovulation, when you should use condoms.

Sexual Position

Sexual position is said to help your chances of gender selection due to both depth of penetration and also due to pH levels. The closer to the opening of the vagina, the more acidic the woman's reproductive tract is.

Deeper penetration (e.g. doggy-style) is more ideal for a boy, as the male sperm are closer towards the egg, giving them a head start on the female sperm (as well as being further away from the more acidic areas).

Shettles recommends the missionary position for girls.

Orgasm

For a boy, the woman should try to achieve orgasm either before or at the same time as her partner - or if you are lucky enough, multiple female orgasms can help! The theory on this is that the waves of the orgasm help to draw up the sperm quicker to the egg, again the boys getting a head start on the girls.

For a girl, Shettles recommends women avoid orgasm.

Other

For the men - To try for a boy, Shettles suggests men try and keep the scrotal temperature cool - no hot spas / baths, tight clothing or underwear. Boxer shorts are a good alternative. He also recommends no scuba diving, heated vehicles for extended durations or other areas of high heat. A few cups of strong coffee half an hour before intercourse favours a boy.

Success rate? Shettles claims that his methods for a boy have a success rate of 80-85% and the methods for a girl a little less at 75-80%.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Hi Sam,

I was desperate for a little girl this time around, although like you I would have been happy either way, I like this ending much better

Basically I followed an ovulation prediction calendar ( I did a search and found this software that you download) If you email me I can give you the address.

Anyway I will try to explain it as best as I can. I only bd for around 3 days before O, then I stopped altogether for the rest of the month. For example, if you knew that you O'd on the 29th then BD on 25,26, 27, then stop. It takes a while longer to fall pg when you are actually trying for a girl because you aren't having sex at the perfect time of ovulation, basically the sperm have to be in there when you O so that they get to the egg first.

I hope that I have explained this well for you. If you need to know anymore email me and I will try top help you out. OPf course this method isn't fool proof and the outcome should be a healthy happy baby. But I can say that abit easier now because I'm geting my little girl \/

Take care
    Trish

Thanks for the feedback

Congrats Trish you do seem pleased and rightly so.

Luv Sam

Orgasm

For a boy, the woman should try to achieve orgasm either before or at the same time as her partner - or if you are lucky enough, multiple female orgasms can help! The theory on this is that the waves of the orgasm help to draw up the sperm quicker to the egg, again the boys getting a head start on the girls.
    Does this mean during DTD...or can it be prior ie, in foreplay?