thread: * TTC post implanon

SLJ Guest

Exclamation * TTC post implanon

I am about to have an implanon implant removed.

The implant has been wonderful for the past 2 and half years, and I was planning to have it removed and TTC at the end of this year.
    However recent developments have now made removal of the implant necessary, and TTC has moved forward a couple of months

Prior to the implant, AF was as regular as clockwork.

Has anyone had either good or bad experiences with TTC post implanon, any information or advice would be appreciated.

SLJ

BellyBelly Member

Apr 2004
    Outer East, Melbourne

Hi - there's not too many of us out there ! I had one in for just over two years, periods were all over the place, long ones, short ones, none at all.

Had it taken out in April this year and did not have another AF until July, and since then they've been fine.

I saw my doctor in the first week of July and said I had had no period since March and he said they like to give you six months for things to return to normal. And the next week I got it ! If you don't have an AF after that, he puts you back on the pill for three months to force your body into menstruating (have never been able to spell this word!) and then you stop the pill and go from there.

It took a bit longer to get it out than it did to have it put in, like the doctor said, the dummies they practiced on to get the certification were rubber and I have a tad more flesh on my arm now than I did two years ago.

They say you're fertile the next day.

I'd say get it out now and jump to it, whats a couple of months ? If it happens straight away you have a Spring baby, if not you're heavily pregnant during summer.

Did you have any side effects from it or anything like that ?

Barb.

BellyBelly Life Member

Nov 2003

Hey SLJ,

I haven't had any experience personally with implanon, but a friend recently had her implant taken out and she got pg straight away. She went to her doctor to find out why AF was taking so long to arrive, her doctor did a blood test and said 'well, AF hasn't arrived because you're pg!!'

HTH.

BellyBelly Member

Apr 2004
    Outer East, Melbourne

Hi - thats what I thought when I didn't get a period that first month !

They give you a local anasthetic (bad spel) in your non writing arm on the inside soft bit about half way between the inside of your elbow and your shoulder. The implant itself is in a big needle like contraption and might look a bit scary, but you dont feel a thing. I dont know if this is the case always, but I got a script for mine, got it filled, about $22 at the time, but if you have a health care card it would be cheaper and went back to the docs to have it inserted. I dont think I paid for the second visit.

I think it put me of sex, i had periods that lasted 19 and 21 days and each time i got really ****ed of about this and made an appointment to get it out, it would take a week to see the doctors, so i wouldnt bother !

No noticeable headaches or weight gain that could be attributed to the implant, probably more to peppermint chocolate.

I think, if you're thinking of having more children, stay with your original BC, but if you're not, and looking for something long term, give it a try, they can always take it out again if you dont like it. Another local to get it out and a bit of discomfort. More flab on arm :-( I liked it cos i didnt have to think about the pill every day.

barb.

SLJ Guest

Hi guys thanks for the encouragement. The implant is coming out on Thursday (14-10).

Jillian
    As I researched the implanon implant I read many horror stories. I discussed it with my doctor who told me that it reacts differently with different women, and the only way to find out was to give it a go. If it wasn't right I could have it out at anytime.

The perscription was the normal perscription price, around the $23 at the time, my doctor put the implant in in his rooms using a local anaesthetic. It was positioned as previously mentioned in the inside of my upper left arm. I didn't feel anything, although the area was a little tender for a few days while it settled in. (It is still in exactly the same place it was inserted)

For the last 2 and a half years it has been great, I haven't had any noticable side affects, infact many of the pre AF feelings were reduced. AF was still regular although about 6weeks apart, and much lighter than pre implant, most times practically nothing.

As far as weight gain, I start out way over weight, and with a change in diet and my aim to get fit and healthy by the end of the year in order to TTC I have lost 20kg so far. So weight gain wasn't a problem with me.

The only problem I have encountered so far, has been in the last two months, my last two AF have been very heavy and lasted for over 2 weeks. My doctor is unsure whether it is the change in body weight, or the implant coming to an end, either way I have decided to have the implant out, and see what happens.

I hope this is of some help, I would recommend implanon from my experience, however that doesn't mean it will be as trouble free for you, the only way to know is to try.

SLJ

maharet Guest

Hi SLJ. I haven't been around for a while and am only just catching up with things.

I had Implanon removed in May of this year after 15 months. I had no periods at all while I had the implant, but no real side effects (maybe a little weight gain).

I hadn't had AF for 3 months, so I went to my GP and he told me to have patience and come back in another 3 months. I couldn't wait that long.

I discovered a product called "Woman Essence" made by Australian Bush Flower Essences (which is similar to Bach Flower Essences) which claimed to "balance a womans cycle" It worked, the same day I took it I had spotting and then 25 days later I had a real AF. YAY!! Never thought I'd be so happy to see AF!

I have recently ovulated for the first time since having Implanon removed and am now 5 days past O on my very first TWW.

Wishing you all the best with TTC. Hope this helps.

Cindy

BellyBelly Member

Apr 2004
    Outer East, Melbourne

Hi - I know what you mean about being happy to get the AF. Since July, I've had three regular ones, but this month, it's like it's knocking and I'm having THE worst mood attacks.

Have noted down the product and will check that out ASAP. Did you get it from a Chemist ?

barb.

maharet Guest

Hi Barb

I got the Woman Essence from a health food store.

I see that you're a Melbourne girl. Is this weather crazy or what, it's really playing havoc with my temping. I'm paranoid about whether my O is real or not.

Hope you have some luck

Cindy

Ex adm!n, quietly rusting....

Feb 2004
    Melbourne

Cindy, just letting you know that I have removed a website link that was in your post, as we do not allow promoting of businesses that don't support BellyBelly in the forums.

For more information, please have a look at the Forum Guidelines.

Thanks, Sarah

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2004
    melton, victoria

Hi guys,

Sorry to jump in here, but I have been thinking of getting this and would like to know how they put it in, does it hurt, how much does it cost and what are the side effects eg, weight gain, headaches etc.

I would really appreciate some info.

Ta
    hi jillian.i had implanon in for nearly three years.very easy to have inserted.they will give you a local anasthetis first(needle),then when numb they will give you a tiny cut about 1 cm long and insert the rod,there is absolutly no pain during or after,a small bruise the next day ,it worked well for me had no probs with cycle and no side effects.my girl friend however had hers removed two weeks after having it inserted it turned her into a psycho,her husband and two boys were scared of her.could you please reply as this is the very first time i have ever tried this and would like to know if i did it right. thanks nikki

SLJ Guest

Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

Well implant is finally out...

So the TTC is now beginning.

I spoke with the doctor about how long he thought it would take for my body to return to a normal cycle. He said it was different for everyone, but as I had had very little AF for most of the implant time, but had started to fall back into what resembled a normal(ish) cycle in the last couple of months, he said it may not take long.

However we just have to wait and see.

So fingers crossed [-o<
    Hopefully there will be something to report soon.

SLJ

maharet Guest

Hi Sarah,

Sorry about that. I was unaware of that guideline. It wont happen again.

Cindy.

Ex adm!n, quietly rusting....

Feb 2004
    Melbourne

No problems Cindy

Moving to General Conception Discussion

Love

Chalalan Guest

Question TTC & Implanon

Hi everyone..

I am a new user and have a rather strange question for you...

I am coming up to the end of the 3 year effectiveness of my Implanon implant (which I have used with no dramas for 6 years now), and want to start TTC.

4 months ago I saw the doctor to get the implant removed and to try a different contraceptive since I was going to be travelling until Christmas in South America. He said that since the Implanon was due to run out around the time that I wanted to start trying, he recommended leaving it in since it wouldn't affect the baby if I did concieve.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I am currently in Bolivia and thinking about getting it out just in case but a littlw unsure whether doctors here would have any experience with it. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance!

Chalalan Guest

Hi All,

I have just done some more research and the Family Planning Association recommends the removal of Implanon after its 3 year mark because it can increase the risk of ectopic pregnancies.

Guess I'm off to find an English speaking doctor on Monday!

nat Guest

I had my Implanon removed on 30/07/07, had an almost normal period (bit shorter, bit lighter) within about 4 days, and since then have had pretty much normal cycles. I had 2 implants over 5 1/2 years and never really noticed too many problems, but after it was removed my 'drive' went up KWIM! I've heard of people taking 3 days to conceive to 11/2 - 2 years (naturally that is)

Add Kazbah on Facebook Follow Kazbah On Twitter

Sep 2006
    Dandy Ranges ;)

I loved my implanon!
    It was removed in April 2006 and I was pregnant in July ... Had a healthy baby in April this year.
    With the implanon I had very light periods for the first year, and then heavier ones towards the end of the second year (but no cramping or back pain).

This time I'm using Mirena as it keeps the periods lighter, and also hopefully won't upset DF as much when its removed (he almose fainted in the insertion / removal of the implanon - I had no problems with either).