Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 35 and over: how long to conceive??

Default 35 and over: how long to conceive??

Hello ladies

Just wondering - for those of you who have had happy & healthy pregnancies over the age of 35, how long did it take you to conceive at that age?

Also, how did this compare with other pregnancies prior to that age?
    :-)

I would be interested in these answers too since I will be 37 on my next birthday

I fell pregnant with Riley at 38 and had no trouble, I had a miscarriage the previous year and had stopped trying so decided to try again and fell very quickly but everyone is different. I found I was more achy this time but whether from age or the fact I already had 2 children its hard to know lol. I had far worse braxton hicks at the end too but again this could be 3rd child thing not age. All in all the pregnancy wasn't a lot different although I don't think my body had bounced back as well afterwards!!!!
    I am enjoying this baby much more and am more relaxed and happy in myself than I was when I was younger. I enjoyed being pregnant more because I didn't have the body image issues I had in my 20s.
    Good luck, there are plenty of women out there having babies in their late 30s and early 40s so you won't be alone.

Hi Sharon, I thought of you when I posted this thread question!

Quote Originally Posted by Marydean View Post
    Hi Sharon, I thought of you when I posted this thread question!
    It's nice to be thought of

My SIL was 41 when she had her first. Unfortunately it took them a few years (maybe 3?), and they had a couple of m/cs and an ectopic BUT......they were only TTC for a couple of months for their second, SIL was 43 when she had her! They now have two beautiful girls, and both fo them were naturally conceived!

I had my DD Eva when I was 37 - I conceived the first month of trying. I have had 5 losses since then... However my three mid trimester losses were not due to any chromosomal defect (often thought of as age related) so don't think "Oh My Goodness"!

MY husband thinks I get pregnant far more easily the older I get. We started trying for number 5 in January 2005 - I conceived in Feb. That baby died in May inutero and I conceived again in November 2005. I had an early miscarriage and conceived the next month in December 2005. That baby died in utero in March 2006. I conceived in June 2006 and had an early miscarriage. I conceived again in July and sadly that baby also died in utero in October 2006. So, conceiving isn't my issue... It seems though I have a clotting problem and this can be exacerbated by age.

I wish you all the best of luck. I know that some womens fertility declines - and obviously it does or we'd be having babies in Nursing Homes but it doesn't just suddenly shut shop at a certain age. It is different for us all. I sometimes wonder if the women we hear of who have diffiuclty conceiving after 35 - would they have had the same difficulties in their 20's???? Do you know what I mean.

We will be trying to conceive again soon and I am hoping that it won't be too long until I have another little one growing inside that stays there until it's safe to be born healthy and strong...

I wish the same for you all...

I wonder that too Deb. I know women in their 30s with fertiltiy issues, but I do wonder if they would have had the same issues in their 20s. They put it down to their age, but maybe they would have similar problems if they'd TTC earlier. I understand that fertility declines in women after a certain age, whatever that may be for each person, but I do wonder in a lot of cases if those same fertility issues have always been present, just unknown.

This post is not intended to be a criticism or anything like that, just a thought from a person who is constantly perplexed by the unfairness of the world at times!

I personally think we all have little clocks that tick their own tock!

I pray that I don't have any difficulty conceiving soon. I do think that older women have their fear of the Geebeewahs put into them at their age and the "risk". I do think we all age differently...

Deb, I'm sure you won't have any trouble conceiving soon. And when you give birth to your beautiful baby we'll all be shouting from the rooftops!

We tried for about 12 months from when I was 36 with no success and then conceived first cycle back after my endo was removed and my right ovary could 'breathe' again. SIL is 39 and she conceived 2nd cycle of trying. Good luck!

Sez,
    Oh Lordy will I be shouting from the rooftops. Every time I think about what it will be like I feel so so so excited! I know there will be so many of you in here who will also share that with me. How lucky are we!!!!

We really are blessed to have BB aren't we? So many wonderful women to share our worries and happy experiences with, and hopefully to help some out along the way.

I really have everything crossed for you Deb.....

Thanks

Hi Girls,

As you all probably know, I tried to conceive for three years before being treated for endometriosis and doing an IVF cycle. William resulted from that first cycle. I was 37 at the time.

Sez and Flowerchild, I agree that many women over 35 could possibly have conceived more easily when they were younger but that is true of most women without fertility problems. Many women are unaware of a fertility issue or have no cause to consider it really until they start trying to conceive. It is only then that they start thinking "Gee, my periods have always been a bit out of whack" or "Maybe I should get this spotting checked out".

After 35, other fertility issues aside, the main concern becomes egg quality. You may be ovulating every month but that doesn't mean the egg is able to make it all the way to becoming a baby. Plenty of people can and do conceive over 35 however and many of us have healthy pregnancies.

Also agreed Deb that the clock is slightly different for every woman.

Good luck ladies.

Hi there Girls,
    I have two children one was born when i was nearly 27 and the other when i was 29. With the first pregnancy i fell quickly after having a [email protected] dye studies. even after 10 years on the pill i fell pregnant within 3 months. With my second child i fell pregnant first month off the pill. Now here it is;i am now 35. We have been trying for 8 months and nothing. last week i had a [email protected] and dye studies and tubal flushing. I havent spoken to the fs yet but the theatre nurse said my file said something about pcos. So there ya go;thats my spin on things. I desperately want another child but am also worried that i have missed the boat and that i'm not producing anything viable and thats heartwrenching. I am very blessed to have what i have and they are cherished dearly,but who ever wouldve thought that it could be so hard this time and so emotionally charged.

Pauline

Melbo,
    I think you have misunderstood. My wondering was women over 35 who are trying to conceive but having difficulty I believe that sometimes this is put down to an age factor. I am wondering though if those same women would have had the same difficulty conceiving in their twenties. Therefore is it an issue not connected with age... Do you know what I am saying?

Pollyanna,
    We posted at the same time. I am sorry for what you are going through. I understand. I had no problems (or at least I thought) having my four beatiful live children but getting that #5 is proving to be an excercise in persistence and fortitude!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast