Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 35 and over: how long to conceive??

teensyweensy Guest

Hi there all, it took me about 5 months with my second baby and was 36 years when trying, this compares to falling pregnant almost immediately when I was 26 years old. What helped us was one of those gadets that you put your saliva on, it help determine when your ovulating with great accuracy. Good Luck to all those trying.

Jodie259 Guest

I was 37 & 7 months when I fell pregnant for the first time. It happened within a couple of months of trying... and by 'trying' we were only DTD about 1-2 x a week.
    I had never been pregnant before, and I thought that I would have a real struggle to get pregnant.

I think that three things helped me...
    I wasn't "trying" to conceive. My DH and I really didn't think it would happen, so we were just having fun and were relaxed about the whole thing. I think pressure is the biggest contraception!
    I had lost about 7 kilos prior to getting pregnant. I was still about 7 kilos overweight at the time, but I think the fitness challenge I was on helped me.
    I was taking folate tablets for about 2-3 months before hand. I've heard this helps 'older' mums to conceive.

Jodie259 Guest

... forgot to mention that we also discovered (after I conceived) that I had a HUGE cyst on one of my ovaries. It showed up in the ultrasound when we found out we were pregnant.

Doc said there was a good chance that this cyst would have prevented that ovary from 'working'...

I had a ceasar birth, and the doc removed the cyst after the baby was removed, and he checked both of my ovaries and said that they are both okay now. We're going to try again for another baby soon... hope it's not a long time to conceive... although now I have to lose 20 kilos !!!

JOdie, Yes there is evidence to suggest that higher than "normal" doses of folate can increase an "elderly" mothers chance of conceiving. I have often wondered if this has helped me. I have been on 5mgs of folate since my first mid trimester loss and I have managed to conceive well. Folate is known to have a positive affect on dna when taken in conjunction with b12 and b6... Being a b vitamin it's water soluable so we just "wee" it out...

mooshie Guest

hi well my story is as follows:

very 1st preg i conceived when i was 28yrs old - ended in a m/c at 11wks - prior to this we were trying but not really trying for around 2yrs. 8mths of trying after my m/c i conceived at the age of 29yrs. at the age of 30yrs i conceived my ds we didn't think it would happen so quick after previous attempts but hey he was eager and we conceived without really trying in the first month (oh and i was still breastfeeding at the time) fast forward a few more years and losing my 3yr old daughter to cancer our lives were well you can imagine, anyway we tossed the idea around for a while to have another child and we agreed sort of to jsut see what happens well 15mths later i fell preg with dd, i was 35yrs old at the time. then after some chatting we decided to try again, so we started ttc in july 2005 at the age of 36, we are still ttc, so far been 17 cycles and i turned 38 last month so who knows. it seems i do take quite a while to fall prg.

i take blackmores preg and b/feeding plus an additional folate tablet of .500mcg - so i think i am taking between 900 and 1000mcg of folate per day, flowerchild would you suggest any other extra's that may help.

i have been up and down in charting etc (i put far to much pressure on myself) so i go between some months trying everything to other months just seeing what happens.

good luck to all of us over that stupid age barrier of 35yrs old - may we all have happy and healthy babies in the very near future

HI Mooshie,
    I know it's a long time to be trying to conceive but it's not a lot different to other times for you is it?
    Folate has been shown to improve dna however it needs to be taken in conjunction with vitB12 and vit B6 I believe. As most women have heard "older " women are encouraged to take higher doses of folate and this will increase the chances of conception. I believe that this is one of those "wives tales" but I think it has some merit to it. Especially since we know that increased folate improves dna and dna is what cells are all about...
    Folate rich food in "the old days" was also encouraged when ttc and if a miscarriage was threatened. So folate has a bit of a history in aiding with conception and in keeping pregnancies sticky...

Women who recurrently miscarry are often advised to increase their folate consumption to 5mgs. In Australia until recently the rdi folate supplement for pregnant and breastfeeding Mamas is 5oomcgs. So you can see the extra folate recommended to women such as myself is considerably higher. Folate by food sources cannot be relied upon as folate is easily damaged and destroyed. One of the prominent studies done in Israel on women who recurrently miscarry the women were all given a supplement of 5mgs of folate.

I don't like to recommend what to do as this could be seen to be giving medical advise. However, I do it, granted mainly due to the recurrent miscarriage factor but also due to my age. I also believe it is beneficial for you partner to be on it also. I don't really understand why his dna isn't as important (to some!) in the equation. So my ever suffering hubby pops his pills religiously every night!

Have you considered just having a cd21 blood test to confirm good ovulation? Not that I am thinking anything is amiss especially since it has taken some time to conceive for you in the past... Just a thought...

You are absolutely right. Bring on those gorgeous beautiful healthy eggs of ours to be met by and equally handsome and beautiful sperm!

I hope that helps some....

mooshie Guest

thanks so much flowerchild for that - yes it does seem a while for my body to crank up and conceive lol i have not been on the pill for around 11yrs and we have not used contraceptive in all that time lol.

that is interesting about the folate because my ob/gyn put me on 5mg when i had my first m/c. when i brought my last lot of folate the chemist there told me that i should check with my gp before having a high dose of folate hmmm. i think i may go and get some of the 5mg which i used years ago. with last dd i was just having the blackmores preg and b/feeding formula but i am thinking of an extra kick along

i am also thinking of going back to my gp in the new year and looking at getting a cd21 test done.

thanks for your advise

You're welcome. Interestingly one of the pharmacists at my local chemist told me that many "older" mothers take folate to increase fertility. (she knows I have said goodbye to a number of babies) She also said that she tries to encourage supplementation of b12 and b6 to these women. I will have to ask her if she has a"study" on this...

Goodluck Mooshie - may 2007 bring us beautiful healthy strong babies to take home and love...

I conceived for the first time after 9 months of not trying but not preventing when I was 34(DS). Hit the jackpot as the month I conceived we only BD'd once!
    Took five months when I was 37 but ended in the stillbirth of identical twin girls (no age related problems). 11months age 38 (blighted ovuum), 1 month at 39(DD)and first time lucky at age 40 (DD). This was shortly before my 42nd birthday. 2 months when I was 43 but ended in M/C due to cord accident (no age related problems).
    Have been trying for 12 months now and am now on Clomid (2nd cycle). Seems that I have a progesterone shortage (short luteal phase) so fingers crossed it doesn't take much longer.

Good luck to you.
    Debbie

mooshie Guest

flowerchild

the blackmores preg and b/feed formula gold has the following among alot of other things

per tablet

vitamin b6 - 750mcg
    vitamin b12 - 1.5mcg
    folic acid - 250mcg

take 2 tablets every day so total is double

i also take the megafol 0.5mg each day

do you think that is sufficient or should i get the 5mg folic acid instead

thanks

Mooshie the rdi for folate in Australia has just (only a few weeks ago) been increased to 600mcgs daily for pregnant and breastfeeding women. In some European countries the rdi is 800mcgs.

I personally believe that older women may benefit from an increase dose. There is no risk that I am aware of (and I have checked this out thoroughly!) of taking the 5mg doseage in conjunction with your daily prenatal supplementation.
    I take b6 50mcgs and b12 100mgs on top of the Blackmores (I take this also). Interestingly I don't get fluro pee so I am thinking that my body is using almost all I am putting in (fluro pee is your body expelling the left over b vitamins).

As I have said every woman is different and her needs are different. However I don't believe it is harmful to take more of the b vitamins even if it's a long shot. Take note though it was on obstetric advise (from 4 obstetricians!) to take the increased doseage of these vitamins due to my recurrent miscarriage.

You don't have my history but you are over 35 so it's somthing I would think about seriously and investigate some more. Meantime I will ask the pharmacist next I am in there about the folate/age theory and if there is a study on this...

mooshie Guest

thanks for that info

much appreciated

Deb, yes I'm sorry I do understand what you are saying.

I can see where you are coming from in a way. It is just that I think if you have a situation where your age is a likely culprit for infertility, then it is more than likely you have already had or will be having tests to exclude other factors. Like I said in my previous post, you can have longstanding reproductive issues which mean you would have problems conceiving anyway but it doesn't seem likely that a cause like that would not already be known in a woman over 35. Maybe there are some people who just put it down to age and don't go to have things checked out so I can't speak for them of course.

I don't know if that has cleared up the issue or just confused things more.

Jodie, it's true that weight loss does help some women to conceive. I only wish the "relax" part worked for everyone as well as it seemed to for you. Unfortunately sometimes relaxing isn't enough. =)
    Last edited by Melbo; November 20th, 2006 at 02:42 PM.

Fire Fly Guest

I conceived at 35 with current bub and will be 37 when delivering. I am still b/fng every 3/4 hours and only had one af and fell after that. I thought being that tad older was going to be an issue for me and gave my self 12 months to try but im still as fertile as i was with #1 and #2.

So far so good, i get my first scan in a couple of weeks so ill soon see if i can make them ok.

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

Hi everyone,
    Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and your own experiences on this issue.
    Where would we all be without BB!
    I am 33 and every second person keeps thinking its their 'duty' to tell me I should be having children etc etc before I get too old without having any idea of what is happening behind their intrusive eyeballs!!!!!
    I truely believe what a lot of you have said, every woman is different and while there are studies around age and pregnancy and I acknowledge that as I get older fertility may drop, there are many woman who have no problem conceieving as they get older and still so many that find it difficult in their early 20's.

Deb - thanks for folic info. I already take 1mg (1000mcg) plus B6 240mg. I think I will start the B12 as well. Have been thinking of taking some extra folic. I think I may up it to 2mg (2000mcg). Not as high as you but I haven't had the miscarriage problem. Do you know if it is best to take the whole 2mg dose at once (4 tablets) or take 2 then 2 later in the day? Does it make a difference?

joeve73 - it's funny how other people think they have the right to suggest that maybe one should hurry up with the baby making just because we hit a certain age. You're right, they may have no idea what is going on (what you may be going through) "behind their intrusive eyeballs!". I love how you said that!

Hugs,
    Debbie

I second that Debbie I loved how you said that too Joeve.

Debbie I can't see a problem with taking it at once. The 5mg tab is once a day...
    Something that many doctors do not tell their patients (I believe some are not even aware of it!) is that folic acid requires b12 and b6 for the most effective absorption.
    So, without the b12 and b6 you will not be getting as an effective treatment.

This is a great thread!

We conceived Amy when I was 34 and 4 months and have been TTC #2 for 12 months now (I am now 35 & 5mths). It was only a few days ago when my temp was not rising and I thought that that was it and I was never going to O again. My cycles are regular and I think I O every month, and not bd much is not helping. But I had CD21 BT yesterday to check for a progesterone surge because I am starting to wonder.

Good luck to those TTC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12